Cableguys Volume Shaper - audio trigger question.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've set up a sidechain trigger in cubase using volumeshaper, I can see visually that the kick is being read by volumeshaper but thought that I wouldn't need to make a shape with the volumeshaper but it won't work unless I do.

I thought I could use it like a compressor sidechain, but is it the case that it is literally only able to read a trigger ie on/off. it doesn't shape the volume itself using the shape of the incoming signal?
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YER MEAT!?

It doesn't, but you can draw the volume curve to precisely match the overlain kick which is better imo. If you want to do standard automatic side chain, use the compressor module...

Its not going to work like Soothe or Trackspacer, you need to manually draw the shape you want. However if they added that as a future update i would be very happy :).

Edit: They already have this in the Reverb Shaper

The whole point of Cableguys' Shapers to me is that you can draw in exactly what you want to happen, not count on an envelope follower. That said FilterShaperXL has a follower so it's not like the functionality is foreign to them. You could always request they port that over.

Even better to me would be if they included the amount/speed LFOs with FilterShaperXL style envelope followers as well. As your sound grows quieter you automatically have bitcrushing and filters getting applied to make it sound likes it's moving into the distance, as your sound grows louder stereo depth increases, so many uses.

Not sure how to make that work in a logical way with the Shaper's being multiband.
Last edited by ROTMetro on Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kenny saunders wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:47 pm I've set up a sidechain trigger in cubase using volumeshaper, I can see visually that the kick is being read by volumeshaper but thought that I wouldn't need to make a shape with the volumeshaper but it won't work unless I do.
Well, of course. The incoming signal just triggers the curve you draw. Just like sidechain compression only triggers the compressor, not shape the compression.

And, if you think about it, it's much more flexible that way too.

Return to “Effects”