Behringer MS-5 Roland SH-5 copy

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I had never heard of the SH-5 before I watched Alex Bell's video on it. Amazing video, I recommend it. And now, Behringer say they are shipping a copy, the MS-5. Go to 3:16 of their intro video to see something I haven't seen on one of their clones to date- trim pots for PCB controls...
:love:

https://www.behringer.com/product?modelCode=0722-AAR

Sounds interesting and not a pocket breaker to be fair.

https://youtu.be/SIp_wWDhPbc

Sounding nice...

And so much synthesis power, for a Roland. ;)

Constructed Identity wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:48 pm Go to 3:16 of their intro video to see something I haven't seen on one of their clones to date- trim pots for PCB controls...
I don't know where youv'e been looking, because a lot of their clones do have this - Mono/Poly, Model D, 2600, and so on... they all have trimpots.

I do instantly feel the need to have one, but then I started to think a bit and that feeling of throwing my money away went. Looks really great, sounds really great, but no presets, and no effects, and now I don't feel the need to have one.
<List your stupid gear here>

Seriously tempting, but considering I'm waiting for the UBXa to ship down here, then a Jupiter 16 on their to-do list, not sure I need this. If it's cheap enough, then it could be another toy. What kinda price are they suggesting? If it's in the same space as, say their Wasp, then I've got spare pocket money for this...

It's more expensive than Wasp. Look at Poly D and MonoPoly which are the same format for the price.

This is the only shop which seems to have it listed yet: https://www.andertons.co.uk/behringer-ms-5-analog-synth

OK, after watching that vid I'm sold. I didn't realize how much deeper those SH synths were than Junos etc. Ringmod, sync, 2 LFOs + envs, full selection of filter types. And with that lovely Roland rubbery character. And of course it won't harm it that it'll sit beautifully with my Monopoly - I really like their flip top design. Fkn L, Behringer are going to be sucking my bank account dry :dog: . I expected to be unimpressed by it, but even a cursory glance has me gagging for it. Engaging my brain...it's prolly going to be similar price to Monopoly. I can live with that. Me wants :hyper: :hail: . OMG, I'm such an easy pushover. :(

Actually, this is more up my street than the big polys. I only think I ought to have a poly, rather than actually want one, whereas these character monos are pure need/joy. So maybe I downgrade my intention for buying UBXa and Jupiter. Dunno which one to cull though. I suspect I persuaded myself to want the UBXa, as I never really rated Obies previously. And in the wait for a Jupiter, God knows how many more and better monos they'll have released. Would I rather have an Obie poly, or a Proton/VCS3/MS5? Easy choice if I'm honest... :party:

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:12 pm
Constructed Identity wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:48 pm Go to 3:16 of their intro video to see something I haven't seen on one of their clones to date- trim pots for PCB controls...
I don't know where youv'e been looking, because a lot of their clones do have this - Mono/Poly, Model D, 2600, and so on... they all have trimpots.
I don't have a Model D, but I do have a 2600 and it does not have trim pots for the PCB that are exposed. Never opened it up to see if they are inside, but that is not what the video was showing.

2600 has trimpots scattered all over the front panel. Those round rubbery things all over? Those are trimpot covers!
Last edited by EvilDragon on Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:17 am 2600 has trimpots scattered all over the front panel. Those round rubbery things all over? Those are trimpot covers!
I will make it painfully obvious for the idiots here:
https://youtu.be/SIp_wWDhPbc?t=195
ON THE BACK, NOT FRONT, LOOK AT VIDEO

Why does it matter if it's on the back? On the front is way more accessible (especially with 2600 being geared towards rack mounting, trimpots on the back would be pretty retarded)! At any rate, 2600 has the trimpots exposed. And where else would trimpots be but on a PCB? :lol:

Easy now with ad hominems, we didn't even get the party started.

This is pretty dumb, it might be a nice vintage inspired synth, but it doesn't sound like an SH-5 at all.
Why even call it SH-5 ?

I don’t own a SH-5 . I expect Starsky Carr will do a side by side comparison and we’ll get a better sense of it even if the originals are loaded with aging electronics. Until then I really like what I’m hearing,

christian f. wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:41 am This is pretty dumb, it might be a nice vintage inspired synth, but it doesn't sound like an SH-5 at all.
Why even call it SH-5 ?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”