Is it just me or is automation in Bitwig kinda bad?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been using Bitwig for several years, professionally for about 2.

I just can't get on with the automation. It's laggy, behaves snappy even w/quantize off, no 4 point click editing (like in Ableton)...I just don't connect with it at all. Cubase is a dream compared to Bitwig in this regard.

Just venting. I'm working on a project and I find myself procrastinating on the automation part because it's a chore. Okay back to work...

It's pretty bad TBH.

- Initial inputs of dots drawn in do not snap to the grid despite having snap turned on. You have to input the dot, then move it around to get it to snap. I've been using DAWS (Pro Tools/Logic) for 25 years now, professionally, and I have no clue why they decided for it to behave this way. Especially considering you can press SHIFT to modify the snap behavior of the grid away, or just turn snap off all together, and yet, with automation none of this matters because you have to dilly dally and move shit around in order for an automation point to start snapping in the first place.

This kinda stuff adds up in wasted time, it really does.

A few weeks ago I was doing some "busy work/editing" stuff in Pro Tools that took me 10-15 minutes. I thought to myself; "This would literally take me 2-3 hours to do the same thing in Bitwig because it lacks Strip Silence, Tab to Transient, and Group Editing." Not a hyperbole either, lacking those 3 things would most definitely tackle on hours to the same task.

I mean, for the things Bitwig lacks, it does a thousand other things other DAWS cannot do. But it's these little tidbits that it lacks that kind of drive me insane, because they are such simple and essential overlooked things that really add up into wasted time fumbling around. It frankly boggles my mind how some of this stuff wasn't ironed out a decade ago in Beta before it's debut.

Cheers
"music is the best"

Did you raise those topics with the Support? If not please do so (if you have an active upgrade plan). Otherwise they will never know.

mudi1974 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:55 am Did you raise those topics with the Support? If not please do so (if you have an active upgrade plan). Otherwise they will never know.
My experience with Bitwig support is that they are arrogant and don't listen. They smell their own farts.

mudi1974 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:55 am Did you raise those topics with the Support? If not please do so (if you have an active upgrade plan). Otherwise they will never know.
100% agree.
This (writing Support about basic stuff like automation control) is utterly important.
The prerequisite for a good email to support is of course being kind and not being arrogant/writing out of too much frustration.
So, in summary:
- Having a Kind tone (would be nice to have everywhere in the world in general)
- Being clear and concise about the feature request, writing in a technically precise and yet as-short-as-possible manner.
This leads to success for us all, and Bitwig will 100% improve. :)

My personal favorite feature requests for automation in Bitwig are as follows (scroll to point 4), and i sent most of them to Bitwig
https://sternen-herz.de/features-which- ... -in-bitwig
If i stay alone with my Emails, actual change might take ages. So YOU Bitwig fans can help with your voice. :)
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

wvshpr wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:57 am My experience with Bitwig support is that they are arrogant and don't listen. They smell their own farts.
This does not match my interaction with the Bitwig support.

wvshpr wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:57 am
My experience with Bitwig support is that they are arrogant and don't listen. They smell their own farts.
They way you talk, I wouldn't listen to you either...

And back on topic... yes, automation is a weak point in Bitwig and could use some TLC

Funk Dracula wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:56 am Initial inputs of dots drawn in do not snap to the grid despite having snap turned on. You have to input the dot, then move it around to get it to snap.
Glad to see I'm not alone with this. The fact that I have to sort of "toggle" the dot to move every time I need to adjust something is absolutely maddening. How about just let me grab the dot and move it without a fuss. It's such a basic thing.

I'll send a request to support. I feel like I did already once upon a time ago but I'll give it another shot

cfernn wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:29 pm
Funk Dracula wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:56 am Initial inputs of dots drawn in do not snap to the grid despite having snap turned on. You have to input the dot, then move it around to get it to snap.
Glad to see I'm not alone with this. The fact that I have to sort of "toggle" the dot to move every time I need to adjust something is absolutely maddening. How about just let me grab the dot and move it without a fuss. It's such a basic thing.

I'll send a request to support. I feel like I did already once upon a time ago but I'll give it another shot
Holding Ctrl+Shift moves the dot immediately without delay, you can then release the keys and it moves at regular speed. Not a great workaround but it depends on the zoom level you are working with.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

nowiamone wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:04 pm My personal favorite feature requests for automation in Bitwig are as follows (scroll to point 4)
As your requests suggest, automation improvements could incorporate elements of the recent curve editor additions.
Could work the other way around, too: Updates to automation editing (like adding some of the functions available in Cubase) could likely also be "recycled" to further enhance the curve editor.
As this would be a logical next step that would build upon recent improvements, let's hope it's not too far down the road.

mudi1974 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:50 pm
wvshpr wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:57 am My experience with Bitwig support is that they are arrogant and don't listen. They smell their own farts.
This does not match my interaction with the Bitwig support.
Im in a support chain with Bitwig right now, and they have kept up with me every day for weeks. They arent "arrogant/dont listen", lol, and are helping me with a maschine2 / MK3 problem.

Its funny how I have the precise opposite problem -- I avoid cubase like the plague, Ive had decades of experience with steinberg and found them *terrible* in customer service and absolutely willing to lie about long standing issues, and I use cubase (12) only as a last resort. I dont have any trouble with Bitwig (or cubase) automation, personally, but I guess its just my workflow?

yeah its pretty bad

Its not "that" bad imo. My only issue is that new point doesn't quantize to the grid. Everything else is okay, maybe not that deep, but pretty simple and intuitive. For example in Logic i hate that i can't make 90 degree curve just by dragging the point (i always need to use marquee tool for that) and this is driving me crazy. In Bitwig i can't create 4 points but i can create 2 with a shortcut and very quickly add another 2 with double click. I can move automation points left/right/up/down in the Inspector.

Enrize wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:21 pm My only issue is that new point doesn't quantize to the grid.
Same here.

I mainly would like to see an option to click-drag to select an area of an automation line, as with the time tool, and then simply drag that region up or down to where I want it.

Or, a shortcut to drag an area of the line b/t two existing points up and down, and automatically create the two additional points (essentially just adding a bit of extra functionality to ctrl-drag).

I've had to go back into Cubase to work with some old files, and realized how helpful this is when mixing. Additional automation editing capabilities would be icing on the cake.

Overall, I've had great experiences with Bitwig support. There are many things I love about it, and things I still love about Cubase. I use them both for different things.

Return to “Bitwig”