Linnstrument stopped working, no lights or power

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Today I went to use my (original) Linnstrument and I could not get it to work. No lights, nothing. I've tried rebooting my ipad, going direct from Linnstrument to the iPad via USB, and using a separate PS but still dead.

Strange thing is, it worked fine yesterday. I went to do a set this evening and discovered it doesn't work. I'm perplexed. I've had it for years and never had an issue, then just bricked.

Edit: I've tried a different USB cable and tried plugging into my laptop. Still nothing.

Before I email Roger, can anything think of anything else I can try?

Thanks!

foxtrot

foxtrotradio wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:45 am Before I email Roger, can anything think of anything else I can try?
If you have the LinnStrument 200, you can use a 9V to Barrel Jack Adapter with a 9V battery to see if it is able to turn on. Otherwise, I would suggest following through with contacting Roger.

Did you leave the LinnStrument plugged-in to the iPad overnight?

This can happen, particularly when plugged into a near-dead iPad for instance.

When the LinnStrument demands more power that the mobile devices wants to give, it has the effect of turning the LinnStrument off and on hundreds of times. If that happens enough, it will eventually occur during a write-to-flash cycle, and this can brick the LinnStrument.

If that's the case, the good news is, you just need to reload the OS to bring LinnStrument back to life. Connect LinnStrument directly to your computer's USB port, and update it to the current OS version. It will still accept an OS update in this state and should return the LinnStrument to full function.

Note: once you've completed the OS update, you'll need to recalibrate your LinnStrument.

Cheers!

Hi foxtrotradio,

I'm sorry about the problem. This usually means that you've been powering your LinnStrument from an inadequate power source, probably your iPad. After a number of dips below minimum power requirement, it finally lost its marbles.

However, the solution is easy and you can bring it back to life yourself. To learn what to do, please visit the LinnStrument FAQ page (accessed from the LinnStrument Support page) and click "FAQs". Then under the Problems tab, read this FAQ:

"Help! My LinnStrument is dead. No lights are on and it doesn't send any MIDI. How can I fix it?"

Thanks John and Roger, that remedied the issue. And yes, I had it on my ipad. Made a note for the wall so I remember to unplug it when done!

Hi foxtrot,

It’s not a matter of unplugging it when done. The problem is caused by continuously running LinnStrument from inadequate power. Please see the Hooking It Up page, which gives helpful information about insuring that your power source is adequate.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”