How much time do you spend tweaking tone?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bombadil wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:50 pm Welp,
For me, the captures I'm playing are good enough now to not need tweaking. Tweaking ad nauseum, for me, is a buzzkill.
When I'm in the good tone zone I soar. But only if I haven't fought to my last breath trying to find it.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I'd love to hear you play. I know I'm not in your league.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Please,
I'm beating my brains out trying to get the intro to "After the Thrill is gone" by The Eagles right now.
Last edited by tapper mike on Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

vurt wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:16 pm plug in, turn on fuzz.
You’re too fuzzy

Bombadil wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:35 am I'd love to hear you play. I know I'm not in your league.
awww thanks bro :hug: but honestly im just a noodler...

oooh you meant mike.
that makes sense :)

Daimonicon wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:04 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:16 pm plug in, turn on fuzz.
You’re too fuzzy
i done did some fuzzy logic!
god! show me magic!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1siktyfFxY

tapper mike wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:02 pm Please,
I'm beating my brains out trying to get the intro to "Take It To The Limit" by The Eagles right now.
Your thing is jazz, right?
Can you play any Joe Pass? I love his playing.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

An IR cab sim is about as far as I go for guitar software. So I guess my answer would be little to none.

Bombadil wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:41 pm
tapper mike wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:02 pm Please,
I'm beating my brains out trying to get the intro to "Take It To The Limit" by The Eagles right now.
Your thing is jazz, right?
Can you play any Joe Pass? I love his playing.
I have his guitar I wonder if he'd approve. *of the guitar not me

Joe Pass used to have a deal with Ibanez and it fell through. So he chatted up Gibson and his big thing was it would be affordable. Pass passed away before production began, Gibson got to keep the name. At first they were produced by Peerless which made amazing guitars of their own and produced guitars for several other brands. Hagstrom, Guild. Gibson got jealous and then went to Samick mostly because they undercut prices. Later still (my era) Gibson offshored to China.

This is a Peerless era Joe Pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL6E762uFbw&t=61s
That's the tone I fell in love with. But it's not the tone I got when I got my Chinese version.
The Chinese version has what Gibson calls "The '59' Neck as you would get on a current produced LP. In order to balance the body with the neck they also use thicker wood and different bracing. Then they use "Probucker" pickups which have a dramatically lower output. It makes for muddy low ends and the sympathetic resonance is deep and subdued rather than airy. The workmanship is amazing. I forever changed my mind on epiphone after inspecting it.

I swapped out the neck pup for a JB and instantly the tone changed. A JB is overkill in the neck pup but it tapers down nicely and still has higher output than the "probucker"

Bill Tyers is my hero (now deceased) He is the ultimate master of jazz chord melody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iscxx5Y ... l&index=17

What constitutes a "Jazz Standard" is any song that has been performed in the jazz vein. They can be show tunes (which often is the case) or re-interpreted pop tunes. The true masters are the ones who arrange not to have a carbon copy of the original but to bring their own unique magic to the piece.

The top piece I reckon I could play, but not by ear. Sounds sweet.
Maybe when you get back on your feet, you might treat yourself to something better. If you play this stuff as a matter of course, you know more about the guitar than I.

Same with the 2nd piece. I have the dexterity, but couldn't pull the chord phrases out of thin air.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:54 pm

Same with the 2nd piece. I have the dexterity, but couldn't pull the chord phrases out of thin air.
Well that's an arrangement so it differs from improvisation.
When done correctly arranging always starts with melody first and harmony is added to support the melody. If you lose the melody you've lost the song. Playing (good) chord melody arrangements is how you get better at playing chord melody arrangements. Even if the song is unbearable slow or corny.

A matter of acclimation. I actually don't advise charting at first rather familiarize yourself with standards that others have already provided. Arranging is about putting theory to paper, performing is about muscle memory.

The problem is not everyone is good at arrangement. If it isn't scored properly it wont sound/feel right. I tend to avoid fingerstyle tab sites for this reason. You go through a lot of muck to actually find something that flows.

Many of the chord melody tab sites have vanished. Bill has been dead for a few years now(Covid) , I'm surprised his site is still online.
https://www.guitardownunder.com/fingerstyle.php

The only thing I don't like about it is... His arrangements are all in pdf even though it's pretty obvious he did all the arrangements in a common (most likely guitar pro) format. While I can read standard notation to a fair degree and prefer tab there is nothing like getting down to brass tacks of hearing and matching.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:12 am Very little. I'm a plug in and play type.
Same here... oft-used phrase, I know, but I believe tone is really mostly in the fingers...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

tapper mike wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:46 pm Pass passed away
Now that's humour.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

tapper mike wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:15 pm
Bombadil wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:54 pm

Well that's an arrangement so it differs from improvisation.
When done correctly arranging always starts with melody first and harmony is added to support the melody. If you lose the melody you've lost the song. Playing (good) chord melody arrangements is how you get better at playing chord melody arrangements. Even if the song is unbearable slow or corny.

A matter of acclimation. I actually don't advise charting at first rather familiarize yourself with standards that others have already provided. Arranging is about putting theory to paper, performing is about muscle memory.

The problem is not everyone is good at arrangement. If it isn't scored properly it wont sound/feel right. I tend to avoid fingerstyle tab sites for this reason. You go through a lot of muck to actually find something that flows.

Many of the chord melody tab sites have vanished. Bill has been dead for a few years now(Covid) , I'm surprised his site is still online.
https://www.guitardownunder.com/fingerstyle.php

The only thing I don't like about it is... His arrangements are all in pdf even though it's pretty obvious he did all the arrangements in a common (most likely guitar pro) format. While I can read standard notation to a fair degree and prefer tab there is nothing like getting down to brass tacks of hearing and matching.
I understand that, which is why I may be able to mimic it, but could never arrange something like that. I simply do not have the theory. Jazz is a language of which I have a very limited vocabulary. I'm good enough at improv in my bailiwick (blues/rock), it was/is one of my strengths. But this stuff is another level. Chord substitutions, when to throw in the maj7s or diminished chords, and all of the 'add9#13' things in between.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

vurt wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:33 pm
Bombadil wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:35 am I'd love to hear you play. I know I'm not in your league.
awww thanks bro :hug: but honestly im just a noodler...

oooh you meant mike.
that makes sense :)
Yer in a league of your own. I mean that, sincerely!
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Guitars”