Linnstrument with SWAM trumpet, Y-axis not reset between presses

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm playing SWAM trumpet, and I have the Y axis (CC 74) bound to vibrato. What I notice is that if I play a pad, sweeping from bottom to top, I end up with full vibrato. Then when I play another note, just on the bottom of the pad, I still get that full vibrato. It appears the Linnstrument isn't sending a new CC74 message to reflect where my finger is on the pad.

Is there a setting somewhere to change the Linnstrument's behavior, or a setting in SWAM that doesn't retain the vibrato value when I release a note?

Hi rtwfroody,

I don't think anyone uses LinnStrument's Y-axis like a piano keyboard's Mod Wheel as you are trying to do. I think this would be difficult because of the short Y-axis range. Generally, LinnStrument owners buy it specifically to replace the poor expression of the Pitch and Mod Wheels on a MIDI piano keyboard.

Have you tried using LinnStrument as it was intended, performing vibrato by wiggling your finger? If not, I suggest trying this by setting the SWAM instrument and LinnStrument as described on the Recommended Sounds page, section "For expressive bowed strings and winds". Then you can perform vibrato or pitch slides with left/right motion, perform continuous loudness with finger pressure, and perform timbre change with Y-axis movements.

Thanks. I'll try to learn more skill.

I only use Swam extensions on iPad within Geoshred so I can't speak for full desktop app but to my understanding it responds in sort of relative catch up mode concerning Y-axis and vibrato. I simply adjusted the playing style to it.

But I'm the unlikely specimen who uses Linnstruments Y-axis as modwheel :-D Lower edge of the pads is my "string", place where I start the touch, if specifically designed sound asks for that. From bottom to top, Y-axis then gives similar expressive space like bending a real string but I use it for timbre change, not for pitch based effects like vibrato.

nine times out of ten, I find the finger wiggle is the way to go with vibrato. but on the occasions I want do anything like that with mod wheel, such as a sample library with vibrato x-fades, I use the low row for mod wheel. then (maybe) map Y to vibrato speed or to something else and use pressure for vibrato speed.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”