How far can you customise the Linnstrument?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone! I need your help and valuable input!

I’ve been looking for an MPE device for ages, and I keep hesitating between the Linnstrument, the Osmose and some random devices (like the recent Exquis).

The Linnstrument is really my top contender by far and I’m still a bit curious on how customisable it is. A few questions:

1) Is everything that can be set done through the device menu or is there any app interface to tweak things etc.? I’m pretty tech savvy so more than open to any slightly more complex solutions.

2) I have some issues with my hands’ dexterity due to accidents and I’m looking for easier ways to play some more complex chords, reaching 7 or 9th on the keys is challenging and I’m scared that the same will hold or might be even trickier with the Linnstrument. One ‘setup’ that I would love to experiment would be the following, only the notes in scale as below:

Row 1: 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th (2nd), 11th (4th)
Row 2: 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8(1st), 10th (3rd)
Row 3-4: Same but an octave below

I do have a lot of the music I create or play being in key, so it wouldn’t be that bad to miss the other keys. Playing a 7th here is just falling your hand on the adjacent pads and that’s it.

Another setup that I would explore would be similar but adding the keys out of the scale in a third row (or rows in between around)

The Exquis is very close to that setup but again the layout of pads there wouldn’t be as comfortable as just straight lines for these chords.

Do you know if that’s something possible to do on the Linnstrument? That would be an instant buy for me since it has absolutely everything else I want.

3) Another question, again somehow related to the customisability of the controller: Is it possible to set it so that one pad sends a chord? Another setup, both due to my hands’ dexterity recent lowering but also for the teaching aspect for my kid, would be: splitting in two sides: one side being dedicated to chords (1st column: variants of chords I, 2nd column: variants of chords ii, etc.) and the other side to whatever regular scale setup to play on top of the chords. This would be similar to accordions or some more random devices.

Very curious to hear if this something that is feasible right now, would be feasible if implemented (more than happy to help with that), or if it would interest anybody else!

In any case, thanks for reading this far!
Take great care :)

HZA wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:19 pm 1) Is everything that can be set done through the device menu or is there any app interface to tweak things etc.? I’m pretty tech savvy so more than open to any slightly more complex solutions.
The eight function buttons on the left of the LinnStrument grant you access to common settings for live performance, but if you want more customization than what it allows, you will need the LinnStrument firmware and Arduino IDE. See the Source Code page for more details.

There is also a User Firmware Mode.

With the help of Roger, I modified my LinnStrument so that the silicone playing surface is replaced with a bamboo fabric instead, among other changes. You can learn about it in the LinnStrument Darker Mod thread, or simply ask either of us about it.

You can also be granted a license from Roger for the patent to use in your own music products. You can read about that in the LS Patent page.
HZA wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:19 pm2) I have some issues with my hands’ dexterity due to accidents and I’m looking for easier ways to play some more complex chords, reaching 7 or 9th on the keys is challenging and I’m scared that the same will hold or might be even trickier with the Linnstrument.
You have a few options, based on order of relevance:
  • Midimech (similar to the Striso)
  • Tritone layout (+6 Offset)
I am most familiar with the latter, having written multiple documents for the layout; they are in this thread. I have not finished/shared the extended chords document for several reasons, so you will need to use your intuition for it on either hand. Odds are you will prefer the former layout, but you will lose fine control of pitch bends.
HZA wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:19 pm3) Another question, again somehow related to the customisability of the controller: Is it possible to set it so that one pad sends a chord?
No, not as far as I am aware.

Hi HZA,

Thank you for your interest in LinnStrument. Frank's responses above are certainly valid, but my answers below offer another perspective.
HZA wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:19 pm 1) Is everything that can be set done through the device menu or is there any app interface to tweak things etc.? I’m pretty tech savvy so more than open to any slightly more complex solutions.
Yes, all of LinnStrument's features are accessed from the front panel, and there is no computer app available to remotely edit its settings. The commonly-used settings are printed on the panel, but there are also many hidden settings that are accessed by holding one of the buttons while using the Per-Split Settings or Global Settings. You can learn about all of LinnStrument's settings on the Panel Settings page, accessed from the LinnStrument Support page on my site.

If you are technical, LinnStrument has an extensive MIDI implementation, a User Firmware mode, and all of the software is open source. These are all explained on links from the LinnStrument Support page.
HZA wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:19 pm 2) I have some issues with my hands’ dexterity due to accidents and I’m looking for easier ways to play some more complex chords, reaching 7 or 9th on the keys is challenging and I’m scared that the same will hold or might be even trickier with the Linnstrument. One ‘setup’ that I would love to experiment would be the following, only the notes in scale as below:

Row 1: 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th (2nd), 11th (4th)
Row 2: 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8(1st), 10th (3rd)
Row 3-4: Same but an octave below

I do have a lot of the music I create or play being in key, so it wouldn’t be that bad to miss the other keys. Playing a 7th here is just falling your hand on the adjacent pads and that’s it.

Another setup that I would explore would be similar but adding the keys out of the scale in a third row (or rows in between around)

The Exquis is very close to that setup but again the layout of pads there wouldn’t be as comfortable as just straight lines for these chords.

Do you know if that’s something possible to do on the Linnstrument? That would be an instant buy for me since it has absolutely everything else I want.
I'm sorry to report that LinnStrument's rows always consist of consecutive semitones, like a stringed instrument, and there is no setting that permits the rows to consist of consecutive scale notes without accidentals. To learn why, visit the LinnStrument FAQ page (accessed from the LinnStrument Support page), "General" tab, FAQ " LinnStrument's rows always contain consecutive semitones (chromatic scales). Is it possible to set LinnStrument so that the rows contain consecutive notes of a specific scale, for example only major scale notes while skipping over the accidentals?" Note that this FAQ mentions an external Windows/Mac application that will do this, but will also break LinnStrument's pitch slide capabilities.

You mentioned that you have trouble stretching a 10th on a piano keyboard. Note that in LinnStrument's default fourths row tuning, the overlapping pitches in the rows permit playing up to a 3-octave chord in one hand.

If you'd like to see how simple chords and scales are fingered on LinnStrument in its default 4ths tuning, see the "Learning to Play" page, accessed from the LinnStrument Support page.
HZA wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:19 pm 3) Another question, again somehow related to the customisability of the controller: Is it possible to set it so that one pad sends a chord? Another setup, both due to my hands’ dexterity recent lowering but also for the teaching aspect for my kid, would be: splitting in two sides: one side being dedicated to chords (1st column: variants of chords I, 2nd column: variants of chords ii, etc.) and the other side to whatever regular scale setup to play on top of the chords. This would be similar to accordions or some more random devices.

Very curious to hear if this something that is feasible right now, would be feasible if implemented (more than happy to help with that), or if it would interest anybody else!

In any case, thanks for reading this far!
Take great care :)
There is no feature in LinnStrument that permits playing a chord from pressing a single note pad. This would require entering details such as your musical key and the chord you would like each pad to play, which would be a tall order for LinnStrument's simply user interface. However, LinnStrument sends standard MIDI, so any external computer application that would do this for a MIDI piano keyboard will do the same thing on LinnStrument. I believe that the MIDI tools in Ableton Live or Logic will do this.

Every instrument has a design that is focused around an intended use. In LinnStrument, the intended use is to be a musical instrument that brings the expressive gestures of acoustic instruments to the performance of electronic sound, as demonstrated by the skilled performances in the three video compilations. That is why is doesn't have a data screen or many knobs and sliders, but rather has a large playing surface with a narrow margin around it, and only 8 control buttons. I suggest learning more about it before buying in order to determine if it will meet your needs. Digging into some of the links on the LinnStrument Support page will be helpful, or you're welcome to email me at the support address to arrange for a video call in order to help you make your decision.

I forgot to mention that Roger does provide hardware drawings and STEP files upon request, and has distributed them in the forums before: During the time I was formulating how to surpass Lars Daniel's LinnStrument Dark Mod, Roger provided me files for the LinnStrument (200) so that I could consider custom metal fabrication for the steel top panel. The idea then was to use a slippery plastic playing surface, then omit using any silicone layer in favour of using a custom steel top panel that accomodates the electronics beneath it. In the end, no one responded to my inquiries, so I had to pivot and substitute a different solution.

In terms of customization, the LinnStrument is undisputed; you will not find a more hackable MPE hardware controller elsewhere. If you want to attempt to challenge my claims, go ahead and compare in my List of MPE Hardware Controllers (and More) thread. I will be happy to provide as many arguments as necessary to eliminate any doubts or concerns.

Lastly, the LinnStrument firmware's license is Apache 2.0.

Thanks a lot both! Very thorough and very helpful answers! I've been deep diving into all the pointers and found great things that are very reassuring to me, and convincing met that this is the device I need :) I'll be putting up an order today or tomorrow (when times allow) from Europe! (probably through Thomann by looking very quickly earlier)

Thanks again!

Hi HZA,

I’m glad that Frank and I were able to help. I look forward to welcoming you into the LinnStrument community.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”