Relationship between presets and skins

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am trying to understand the relationship between presets and skins in the Remote Control app.
Specifically I want to try copying and modifying a skin but I do not understand how to access the skin which is 'attached' to a preset?

And if I can modify a skin how I then apply it?

Hi,

Presets may contain both a skin and the values for the remote control parameters (or just the values for the parameters, it depends on how the skin has been setup).

The existing remote control skins can be found in the plug-in folder ("data" folder next to the plug-in on Windows and inside the plug-in on Mac). You can copy the entire "Skins" folder to a separate location. The best place to put them is the "Skins" folder in [your documents]/Blue Cat Audio/Blue Cat's Remote Control/, so that your custom skins are listed directly in the plug-in for loading. Skins choice is available in the plug-in menu (burger icon in the toolbar). You can either select the skin from the list or load the skins file. This sets the skin for the current preset. And you can make it default (aka "global") using the "Set As Global" menu item. There is much more information about this in the manual.

Hi
Thanks for the information and advice, I am a big step forward!

One other question for now please:
If I have Remote Control 3 open with a factory preset e.g. 'Meters & Knobs - 16', then I load a different skin e.g. the Yamaha PM100 Vintage Console skin 'controls24.xml', do I still have the factory preset opened but with a different skin? or does the loading of the new skin entirely replace the previously loaded factory preset?
Just for info, the new 'Yamaha' skin has the title 'Blue Cat's Remote Control.

Your response will help me better understand the relationship between Skins and Presets.
Thanks

Factory presets are read only so you cannot overwrite them, the original Factory preset remains unchanged. And for user presets, as long as you do not re-save them, they remain unchanged too. If you load a skin after having loaded a preset, all you do is change the skin in the current session.

So can I clarify:
'If you load a skin after having loaded a preset, all you do is change the skin in the current session.'
Does that mean the preset (which was present before the new skin was loaded) will still have control over things like MIDI I/O settings etc, even if they are defined in the new skin?

Or is it not possible for skins to have their own MIDI I/O settings?

MIDI I/O settings are not part of the skin (unless you write some code to override the settings value upon skin load). The skin only contains the information about the layout and the GUI components. The MIDI I/O settings are part of the presets.

Thanks, I understand now.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”