What's your favorite synth for ambient music?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ramseysounds wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:56 am
BBFG# wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:25 am
zerocrossing wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:08 am It’s not really the synth, it’s how you use it. Any synth can be great for ambient music.
Sure. But not really what the OP asked for though...
It’s totally what the OP asked for. Q - what synth? A - any synth 🤷‍♂️
Right. So in the context of this thread, I’d recommend something that Omnisphere, because of its large selection of interesting sample content and synthesis types. That makes is a sort of “any synth.”
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

parktben wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:43 am Hi, I'm very new in this forum. I love to listen to ambient music, synthwave, chill wave. Just want to ask you guys. What is your fav synth?
You have to be more specific what kind of ambient you like. Just saying ambient isn't enough.
For me doing mostly dark ambient Kontakt is da skit and third party free or paid samples. You can never go wrong with a granular synth if you want a synth.

First, the OP asked what YOUR FAVORITE synth is for a specific genre, Not just "what synth".

Secondly, one of the biggest problems I find in music across every genre is the audience that appears to treat every venue as a back drop for their social media selfies. So they aren't really listening either. The fact that when any one actually listens to anything is probably more of a sign that you're a musician (or a striving to be producer trying to reverse engineer it.)

So if your answer here is anything, then that answer is "no favorite" and just reach in the folder and grab whatever. Seems like the OP was asking for something a little more specific.

⬆️ I think you’re overthinking
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:06 pm ⬆️ I think you’re overthinking
Hmm, I think you're not paying attention and answering before you actually understood the question.

⬆️ Hmmm I think you misunderstood what I said. Anyway, the question is moot as favoUrite is subjective
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:00 pm ⬆️ Hmmm I think you misunderstood what I said. Anyway, the question is moot as favoUrite is subjective
Well, it's subjective, but not moot as that is the subject line. There's just no one absolute answer. Just personal favorites. So far, not a bad answer yet, except maybe those not wanting to answer. (And writing multiple comments to do so.)

Pigments is my choice for more ambient stuff. Not so much for synthwave (etc.), also mentioned in the OP. For that, I reach for more classic “old skool” style synths, generally.

Lancinantes (https://www.ineardisplay.com/plugins/lancinantes/) plus a long FX chain that includes a shimmer reverb...

ztrauq wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:46 am Lancinantes (https://www.ineardisplay.com/plugins/lancinantes/) plus a long FX chain that includes a shimmer reverb...
Pretty cool one; also the Effects from them.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

El°HYM wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:49 amDX7
The DX7 has been a mainstay for Eno for years.

Ambient is better than alotta krap made nowadays at least...

Progress Audio Kinisis is pretty good for changes over time... Some have even used the freeware 'Crystal' in that mode as well... My favorite is taking a lengthy pad sample & bringing into Loomer Cumulus which is great for such purpose...

Scotch and turn off the metronome :hihi:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

PatchAdamz wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:39 pm
El°HYM wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:49 amDX7
The DX7 has been a mainstay for Eno for years.
He had 7 DX7 at some time.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Ambient is long release -Tone2 Icarus and Warlock have really long release time.Next few days will release a soundset called ''Atmosphere'' for Tone2 Warlock :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxkcQAgPI-Q

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”