Mixing a organ parts with bass included

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are there tips for this?
I'm referring to a part such as an organist might play (imagine Ray Manzarek from the Doors who covered bass with his left hand and chords with the right).
When I come up with parts using something like a hammond or farfisa organ sound I like to use the instrument to come up with a bass part at the same time. It feels more 'live', but mixing two different sounds on one track seems ill adised.
I imagine most producers would simply have two instances of that part, one for the chords/melody and another for the bass. Is there any method or trick to preserving the integrity of the music without doing this?

When I split keyboard on Hammond XK3c, I get lower manual in left hand.
If I activate bass pedals too, I get an overlay of mono bass of lowest note played on left hand.
- so if playing a C-chord, I get bass note C one octave below
- very full sounding

But you can just as well playing single walking bass or something in left hand and decide with drawbars how strong sounds are to get balance.

And I get uppermanual midi ch 1, lower ch 2, and pedals on ch3 and can record midi on a single midi track. And edit if I need to.

Then I can always experiment with registration on drawbars to decide volume of each when playing back from sequencer and finally record to a single track, to have best balance bass pedals and the rest.

If you have another organ instrument you might get the same result with a mono bass, and priority lowest note or something. So details are in which instrument you use, some plugin or sampler etc.

So you record the parts to separate channels and mix accordingly?

I have the Arturia B3 and Farfisa, I know the B3 can do that but I haven't really figured that out. I usually just duplicate the track and chop out the relevant parts. Probably easier to do it your way, I should learn how

Depending on how dominating the Hammond part becomes a different approach.
- sometimes upper+lower+pedals one midi track on 3 separate midi channels
- sometimes different midi channels to diffferent midi tracks
- sometimes even doing volume swell and leslie on/off on a separate track, recording afterwords

So easier to redo just leslie or swell separately by feel and how it works in the mix.
- tiny nuances make a big difference sometimes
- if leslie just about wind up and then off, or longer playing a sequence

Even if you do all parts on different midi channels on a single midi track, you can adjust relative volume with drawbar registrations afterwords when making audio of it all. This is using external midi gear I find this useful.
- Hammond in particular does not have relative volume knobs each manual, but drawbars tells how strong they are

If you get some ideas for your purposes....

I just use upper and lower mainly. I don't think my keyboard is big enough to do all three and I haven't figured out how the B3 V can manage all three layers simultaneously.

Thanks

Sometimes overlaying lower manual with mono bass on those keys works well.
You can even shut drawbars all in and no lower manual sound, just bass.
Sound like Manzarek if you want.

I would be surprised if Arturia missed that part.

Return to “Production Techniques”