SoloRack v2.2 Release, CLAP support and new modules

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

shot1.png
shot2.png
shot3.png

Hi everyone,

SoloRack v2.2 has been released. This update brings CLAP support. 6 new modules, 2 free and open source modules based on Mutable Instruments™ hardware. Added to the "Shreds & Charades" plugin.

SoloRack v2.21 downloads
64bit Version: https://www.solostuff.net/wp-content/up ... 21.x64.zip
32bit Version: https://www.solostuff.net/wp-content/up ... up2.21.zip

Mirros (Faster!!):
64bit Version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xfpT4v ... sp=sharing
32bit Version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z9Q1ea ... sp=sharing

SoloRack v2.2 downloads
64bit Version: https://www.solostuff.net/wp-content/up ... .2.x64.zip
32bit Version: https://www.solostuff.net/wp-content/up ... tup2.2.zip

Shreds & Charades v2.0 downloads
64bit Version: https://www.solostuff.net/wp-content/up ... p2.x64.zip
32bit Version: https://www.solostuff.net/wp-content/up ... Setup2.zip
Source code: https://github.com/ammar-mu/ShredsNCharades

Updates include:

- CLAP format support added. With full MIDI send/receive including SysEx
- CLAP polyphonic automation (DAW modulation) of knob parameters. When supported by DAW
- Optionally CLAP enabled sample accurate automation/modulation. Can be enabled/disabled in menu. (Disables internal smoothing).
- Added S218 Spectral Filter
- Added SB20 Complex Shift Register
- Added SD09 MIDI Channel Converter
- Added S120 Mono To Poly
- Added S121 Poly To Mono
- Added S815 InOut Connector
- S321 VCO now supports fractional ratios using the new whole/fraction switch.
- S515 VCLFO now has a knob to change the restart phase.

All feedback is welcome :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by S0lo on Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:40 pm, edited 10 times in total.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

Awesome! Gonna be fun trying out these new modules, great to see you added CLAP support.

Cheers!

RPH wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:39 pm Awesome! Gonna be fun trying out these new modules.....
Thanks. I just realized I've hit 100+ modules total!! time for a small celebration I guess :party: :party:
www.solostuff.net

Hello!
Since I did not find a detailed manual for Solorack, I have a question.
What is the practical function of the option: "Advanced oversampling filter settings?"
I am a fan of sending several filters signals to themselves.
And oversampling plays a critical role. I have several hardware filters that I "play" like this. And I get something similar from Solorack when oversampling X32!
But by changing the "Advanced oversampling filter settings" apart from CPU load, I don't hear much difference...

The "Oversampling Filter" menu settings dictates mainly the type and number of taps the anti-aliasing FIR filter uses. The main concept to understand here is:

The higher the oversampling factor, the more taps you will need for it to be effective

To demonstrate, lets run a sawtooth LFO at audio rate with no oversampling. This will give a completely aliased sound. (If I use a VCO you'll not see any aliasing because the VCOs have their own internal anti-aliasing on top of the synth oversampling)

audio_lfo.jpg

Look at the spectral signal, and how many aliasing folds there are coming back from 20Khz. This will sound horrible if what you want is a clean sawtooth.

FFT1.png

Lets try 2X oversampling while setting the number of FIR taps to 50

FFT2.png

It's better, but still loads of aliasing. Lets try 4X while keeping the taps at 50

FFT3.png

Much better!!. But still you can see one chunky fold starting from about 14Khz. This can still be audible to some people. If we try 8X now we have to also increase the taps, otherwise the folds will become worse again. So first, we'll just increase the taps to 100 and keep 4X and see what heppens

FFT4.png

Thats much better. The folds are now above 17-18Khz. At this point, I'd say 90% of people above their 30s can not hear any of that. And even when they do, it's as faint a fly near your car. Probably only children under 7 years old can hear that.

If you increase the taps and oversampling factor further you will get better results. A completely anti-aliased clean sawtooth should look something like this:

FFT5.png

Again, the higher the oversapmling factor, the more taps you need. Now the "FIR Auto taps" and "FIR Auto double taps" settings is there to remove the guess work from you. This will automatically set the taps to a reasonable number no matter what oversampling factor you set.

I hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by S0lo on Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.solostuff.net

Thanks for such a detailed explanation!
Because of my ignorance, I considered this parameter exclusively relative to filters!
Now I understand - "FIR Auto double taps", and don't think about it!))
It's just that when I started to cross-feedback two filters of different types, the oversampling affected not only high-frequency component! But beyond recognition it changed the character and timbre of the result...

sap13 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:55 pm It's just that when I started to cross-feedback two filters of different types, the oversampling affected not only high-frequency component! But beyond recognition it changed the character and timbre of the result...
The S212 filter is very rate sensative. Distortion in combination with filters at high resonance can also be affected by the sampling rate. In complex feedback patches anything really can happen. Those harmonics that fold back can touch a resonant frequency of a filter and cause a clip or at least saturation which can very much affect the sound. Thats why I let the oversampling level as part of the preset setting, not a global setting. It is really part of the sound.

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions :)
www.solostuff.net

For anyone who faced trouble downloading because of a browser security error. It's fixed now.
www.solostuff.net

congratulations. only thing i miss on mac

dave dove wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:29 pm congratulations. only thing i miss on mac
Thanks. Hopefully one day in the far future, I'd get it to mac.
www.solostuff.net

SoloRack v2.21 has been released. Download links updated above. This is a minor but important update that mainly adds a few interesting features to the S218 Spectral Filter and fixes some nasty bugs in it.

Updates include:

– Added Extreme Quality mode to S218 Spectral Filter for CPU cooking!!
– Added VariQ knob to S218 Spectral Filter for both linear phase mode and minimum phase (latency free) mode and for more interesting variable quality effects.
– Fixed polyphony problems in S218 Spectral Filter
– Fixed improper saving of edited bars in S218 Spectral Filter
– A few more fixes and CPU optimization in S218 Spectral Filter
www.solostuff.net

Been demoing SoloRack for the past few weeks. Great sound quality, well optimized, and no bugs or crashes so far. The ability to load mini patches (e.g. VCO to VCA and ADSR to VCA) within patches would be great. What would be the best way to create or simulate PWM on an LFO?

Genetic_Junk wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:18 pm Been demoing SoloRack for the past few weeks. Great sound quality, well optimized, and no bugs or crashes so far. The ability to load mini patches (e.g. VCO to VCA and ADSR to VCA) within patches would be great. What would be the best way to create or simulate PWM on an LFO?
Thanks, To simulate PWM on an LFO. Mix in two LFOs, one saw and a one ramp, slightly detuning them apart. You can also do it by mixing two square LFOs, again slightly detuned apart.

Here is a patch to demonstrate:
LFO_PWM.zip

This one uses a saw and ramp. switch to squares if you want, it will give a different flavor. I set the rate very high in order to hear it and see in the scope. Just set them to low
www.solostuff.net

Thank you for the patch. Messing around after I posted came upon the same solution. I suppose to get the most authentic sound using the S310 tuned low would be best. What about simulating a traditional compressor? Is the envelope follower inverted to CV of VCA the best way or a comparator with a slew limiter?

If we're talking envelope less compression. Then you can pretty much use the S631 distortion, by dialing the amount down. Keeping the type knob on 1 or 2. And playing with the other controls. If you know how the Auto/off switch works, you might get better results turning it to off and dialing lev to your input level.

But for a compression with attack/release. That would be a more involved patch. You could for example use the envelope follower gates out to signal to EG modules when the input reaches a certain level or goes below it. Check the S525 EG, it has EOA, EOR, etc... outs to help you. Then patch the EG to whatever modules to switch between clean and compressed signal path. I woudn't say thats an easy patch, specially if you want a specific sound, which is usually the case in a compressor.

Or may be you have better ideas.
www.solostuff.net

Return to “Modular Synthesis”