What do you like about FL Studio?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys - I've been using Reaper for years and kinda like it after getting used to it.

I noticed that FL Studio also does a couple of things that I like that Reaper does not. The slicing tool is excellent for separating and trimming samples from old sample CDs and the BPM/stretch tools are great for creating personal DJ mixes, syncing BPM, and matching key. The pattern/playlist thing is also pretty intuitive and familiar.

I am considering buying this today for $199 USD (no sales that I can find) and was wondering what else you guys like about FL studio over other DAWs?

viewtopic.php?t=566200

this guy sells the producer edition for 150$. IL does not allow any license transfer, but maybe he sells an unregistered copy. check it out.

they also sell educational versions. I was able to get the signature bundle for the producers edition price. but if you are no student, then buy the producer edition, and if needed upgrade to all plugins edition on black friday sales.

---

FL Studio just feels right to me - how it is structured makes sense, the piano roll & arrangement feels good and fast... it looks good (which is very important for me, I could never use Reaper)... I definitely like the community alot... there are many resources online and the forthcoming update plans look promising (updating mixer engine, adding a function that lets you seperate audio files into stems (dream for every sampling enthusiast), piano roll scripts ...)

Price/quality ratio is best among all DAWs.
The one thing that I unironically like about FLs is high fps animations. Like... even placing notes on pianoroll feels great. I'm Bitwig user btw.

I started making music with FL and after about 5 years I left it for Studio One.

FL is great if you are making a "beat". Its piano roll is the best in the industry, sample-based channel rack approach is excellent (especially if you are used to that). Pattern-based production is great for creativity. Having the ability to pan notes per note (for samples) is great if you are making trap/rnb. It has tons of great instruments and FX plugins, and browser, for instance, Studio One does not have. It also looks very good and sharp and has a fully customizable color palette (with recent updates). Also as other user mentioned, the price/value is great, because you pay once and you can get free updates forever.

So, why did I quit it for S1? Because recording, editing, and comping audio is so bad compared to the other classic/linear DAWs. I hear that they made some improvements for audio recording in the latest version but I don't think it's enough to become a good audio recording/editing DAW. Also, file management and backing up is a nightmare in FL, compared to the S1.

I thought using FL for beatmaking and using S1 for audio recording but it was too much of a hassle to keep track of every project, files, etc. If I wasn't recording 10-15 layers of vocals, I'd probably never quit FL.

Oh, another big up about FL that they now have a Midi Controller for it, called FLKey. It wasn't there when I was using FL and it was a big missing thing IMO. (Another reason I switched to Presonus Studio One, thanks to Atom Controllers).

So, If you are thinking of making beats with VSTs and midi controllers, go with FL Studio and never look back. (unless you are planning to play it live, then Ableton is probably better)
But if you are planning to record live instruments and vocals do not go with FL. Even though it's possible with FL, it is much easier with a linear DAW like Studio One, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc. I recorded, edited, and mixed, about 20-25 full songs with FL that are released, so it's possible. Only, where it took 5 minutes to do in FL, takes 10 seconds in Studio One.

Edit: This sounds like FL vs S1, sorry, but they are the ones I used the most, so I unconsciously started comparing.

Back in the dark ages, FL Studio was my very first DAW. What I liked about it were the included demos.

I liked the fact Fruity Loops used a keyfile for activation. No need to ask permission from someone else's computer. Sadly, this is no longer the case.

Stick with Reaper.
eh?

I think they still do the birthday discounts. FL studio is a producer daw, while Reaper is a mixing daw.
Mixing in Fl studio is so so.

Thanks a lot, guys. I sincerely appreciate the advice!

roman.i wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:22 am FL studio is a producer daw, while Reaper is a mixing daw.
What does that even mean?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:07 am
roman.i wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:22 am FL studio is a producer daw, while Reaper is a mixing daw.
What does that even mean?
This means every one of them has better tools, workflow for the relevant task.
Just for example, try to use FL Studio piano roll vs. Reaper piano roll.
Or Reaper audio editing capabilities vs FL Studio...
This is quite obvious, since FL studio emerged as a producer software, for beats makers and electronic musicians, while Reaper is a recording/mixing software for studios.
Doesn't mean one can't do the same task as the other, it's about speed, ergo, etc for each task.

For a detailed discussion of the differences between the two types of DAWs and the effect of these differences on users, consider this conference paper from 2012 which presents the results of a lengthy survey of users:

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... tation_Use

This paper strongly supports roman.i's distinction, albeit not using the same terminology.

For those short on time, be sure to read the second paragraph of the conclusions, the paragraph starting with "Findings suggest...."

fruity loops was my first daw when i jumped across the desk (it was cheap and i knew practically nothing of what i wanted or needed) it works great for loops, triggering samples and midi etc. you won't find much better imo. but if you are a musician it is a totally different story. mixing and recording audio imo has always been and still is it's bad suit. it is just a pain in the gluteus maximus for real audio work but as was said it is getting a little better but we are talking probably 20 years now and not much has improved imo.

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

That it was a sequencer no one could take seriously and many turned up their noses at the awful silly name like DAW for children. Even Image line changed the name. And yet when you look it is actually an extremely powerful cool DAW and it is clear the developers are experts in their field. And that a lot of very competent producers use it. And that Image Line have produced some unique and completely superb products as company. I always like how it looks in videos.

Synthman2000 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:13 am That it was a sequencer no one could take seriously and many turned up their noses at the awful silly name like DAW for children. Even Image line changed the name. ...
They changed it not because they thought it would be silly or childish but because of losing a lawsuit against Kelloggs which had "Fruity Loops" as a breakfast snack already in their product line and have copyrighted the name...
Last edited by Trancit on Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

The.. Uh.. The step sequencer that's native there. The thing that works like a Roland drum machine. Tap tap tap. The rest, gaaabige

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”