The new HoRNet Cassette644, vintage 4 tracks recorder emulation

Official support for: hornetplugins.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

We are thrilled to announce the release of Cassette644, our latest plugin that brings the iconic charm of vintage cassette tapes right into your digital studio.
Cassette644 faithfully emulates the distinctive sonic characteristics of classic cassette tapes, allowing you to infuse your music with that warm, lo-fi goodness. From subtle saturation and gentle compression to unique frequency coloration, Cassette644 adds a touch of vintage magic to your tracks.

Key Features:
  • Authentic Cassette Tape Emulation
    Three-Band EQ for Precise Tone Shaping
    Realistic Hiss Emulation
    Variable Tape Speed Control
    Versatile Routing Options
    Seamless Oversampling for Enhanced Audio Quality
    Link Multiple Instances for Realistic Multitrack Experience
    Precise Input and Output Level Control
    Authentic VU Meters for Visual Monitoring
Cassette644 is available for just €16,99 on https://www.hornetplugins.com

This plugin has the potential to be better. There is an issue with the high band eq. It behaves like a tilt eq function. The bass is reduced the further you boost the level and the bass seems to increase when reducing the treble. You should include the ability to disable the eq level compensation. BTW: What type of system are you using now? When right clicking the GUI, a menu pops up with the choice to save something as an HTML file and what is the web capture function about?

Hi the high shelf behaves like that because this is the way it behave in the original hardware unit I measured:

https://youtube.com/shorts/n8ainJvfTDw?feature=share

BTW this is the modelled hardware:

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/tasca ... tudio/5675

Saverio

Okay... I see how this feature works. I actually find it useful. I like the tape eq, but an additional standard EQ for the output section would give more tone shaping options and the ability to compensate for lost or desired frequency boost or cut. We're not actually dealing with tape circuit hiss, so there should be the ability to boost the highs if desired. Would also be nice if you added a hiss level control for the tape section.

Interesting. I had a similar Tascam back in the day…

Is the DBX system emulated? And if so, can it be switchet in or out?
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:15 pm Interesting. I had a similar Tascam back in the day…

DBX (emu) isn't included, as is the case with all tape emulations. This plugin shines when used on individual tracks and sounds, like drums and other instruments. Very useful for when you want easy colored sound. I think this is the best case scenario of this plugin. It's not the best emu to use on the master bus for tape flavor, IMO. I feel IK's tape emulations are better in that regard.

As for noise reduction, Synthblitz has a Dolby B and C, emulation on their mastering rack plugin. https://synthblitz.altervista.org/va-raxs.html

Spitfire31 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:15 pm Interesting. I had a similar Tascam back in the day…

No it's not included, maybe i can try to make a standalone emulation or add it to cassette but emulating that circuit it's a job on its own...

Saverio

EcHo2K wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:05 am

No it's not included, maybe i can try to make a standalone emulation or add it to cassette but emulating that circuit it's a job on its own...

Saverio
I don't see much advantage in adding that feature to Cassette644. Maybe adding a simple de-esser type noise reduction may prove useful. As for DBX and Dolby noise reduction modeling, I think that would be better as a separate product.

Since the systems are based on compression and expansion (compander) I envision the use of 2 modules. One with tape emulation and eq. This would be the signal send module/compressor module, where it would be inserted into an aux send channel as a pre-send. The other module would be the receiver/expander routed to a sub buss or whatever means. It would receive all signals from every instance of the send modules. The expander module would be able to engage all instances of the send modules in or out of noise reduction mode.

I don't know if this makes any sense or whether it's practical... but it's just an idea!

We have just updated Cassette644, the vintage 4 tracks cassette recorder emulation.

The new 1.0.1 version is a bug fix release and includes:

- Fixed crash with mono tracks
- Improved performance for hiss generator
- Fixed gain being increased by 3dB

The update is free for owners of the plugin and can be downloaded from the user area or using our downloaded installer HoRNet DoIn

I just bought this and after spending about an hour playing around with it, I really like it but there are a few issues.

1. Bug - Resizing the GUI totally crashes FL Studio. (This does NOT happen in your resizable Total EQ plugin)

2. Bug - The Link feature that links multiple instances is a bit broken in that you can't disable it once you enable it. For example, in a blank project, I load the plugin on 2 separate tracks and enable the Link feature. I then go back and turn link OFF in one of the instances and close the plugin. I re-open the same instance, and it shows Link is OFF. So far, so good. I then go to the second instance and turn Link OFF and close the plugin. Link should be OFF in both instances, but I return to the first instance to find that Link is back ON. I then return to the second instance to find that it's back ON there as well. My guess is that enabling the feature enables it in all instances, but disabling it only disables it in the one instance and this could be causing the confusion? I tested in both vst2 and vst3 versions.

3. Not a bug, but please give us a volume control on the cassette hiss feature. Even if it's accurate, it seems way too intense. Currently, I have to leave it OFF except for one separate track so I can adjust the amount.

Thanks for creating this plugin. I think it's a really cool and creative effect. It just needs a little work, I think.

Hi thank you for your report.

The interface of Cassette644 is not resizable, I don't know why FL allows you to resize that, we haven written anything allowing explicitly the resize...

Regarding the link issue, I have to check that thank you for reporting it, it would be perfect if you could open a support ticket on our website so we can keep track of the issue in our bug tracker.

3 well I don't know, part of the cassette sound is the hiss and the fight you have to do with it to keep It low ...

Saverio

Thanks for the reply. I opened a support ticket for the Link feature. Also, the resize thing only happens in the vst3 version, not the vst2 version, if that helps at all. The plugin doesn't actually resize at all, but when hovering the mouse over the bottom right corner, it indicates that you can and crashes when you attempt it.

As far as the hiss goes, I understand and respect the desire for authenticity. It's just so intense that it hurts the experience, in my opinion. Wouldn't it be best to let the user decide just how authentic they'd like to be in that regard? I think the plugin sounds great other than that.

Thank you very much for the support ticket, we already opened a bug and we are on it.

Regarding the resize, this is something we should implement resize in the next couple of updates :)

Cheers
Saverio

I'm loving this little plugin. It sounds fantastic! You have done an amazing job on this one. Dare I say, it's probably the best cassette emulation I have tried. There is only one, tiny issue for me, which I have already opened a support ticket for. I am definitely becoming a fan of Hornet. Good work! :tu:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

jethrobull wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:40 am I'm loving this little plugin. It sounds fantastic! You have done an amazing job on this one. Dare I say, it's probably the best cassette emulation I have tried. There is only one, tiny issue for me, which I have already opened a support ticket for. I am definitely becoming a fan of Hornet. Good work! :tu:
Hi thank you very much for the support I'm really happy you like the plugin. honestly I felt nobody really nailed the sound of cassettes when I tried other emulation, I'm old enough to tell you that I sued countless assets when I was 16 -18 years old to know very well how they behave. I also modelled my own cassette corder (the Tascam midi studio 644) which I spent enough afternoons after school to know exactly how it behaves :D I'm really happy you like it.

the issue you have opened it's a known one and we have a fix in newer plugins for that which it has to be ported to Cassette664 yet...

Saverio

Return to “HoRNet Plugins”