Medieval Orchestra music theory

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,

I want to learn more about medieval music theory, but I'm having trouble finding good resources on the subject.

I'm hoping to find some helpful resources that can guide me through the basics of medieval music theory and give me a solid foundation to build on. I'm interested in learning about the different modes and scales used during this period, as well as the rhythmic and harmonic structures that were common.

If anyone has any suggestions for books, websites, or other resources that could help me in this pursuit, I would greatly appreciate it.

Maybe you should change the title of the thread. There was no "Medieval Orchestra". Music in the Middle-Ages was mainly melodic and vocal, and the few accompaniment instrument that were used are now almost all vanished (they subsist only in reconstructions built after paintings and illustrations and some texts, and are specifically for playing thast music).

Maybe you should start to read some books about Middle-Ages Music History, and about the modes (be very careful when you search and read about these, since there is a lot of misinformation about modes).

I recommend the II volume of the New Oxford History of Music (Early Medieval Music up to 1300) edited by Dom Anselm Hughes and Music in the Middle-Ages by Gustav Reese (W W Norton).

Beware that there are several "dimensions" in the Middle-Ages Music. Contrary to what many may think, and although the religious music was very important, there was also a very rich production of secular music. Try to listen to examples of both the Gregorian Chant music, and also the secular music (Trovadores/Troubadours/Trouvères/Minnesänger).

You may find many transcriptions of those pieces (the most important, at least). They are much easier to read then the original copies, which used the neumes, and are therefore much harder to read to people not used to them.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Music Theory”