SOLVED: Linnstrument 1 of every 7 or 8 pitch bends don't bend, or rather, only bend by 2 semitones, though set to 24(48)

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

Seemingly as of today my Linnstrument 128 is being consistently inconsistent, when pitch bending IE moving on the x direction, now every 7th or 8th times of pressing a pad and then sliding on x, seemingly not more and not less, don't bend fully, - at first I thought it wasn't bending but by being extreme I could more easily hear those 7th or 8th ones are bending as if when you set a soft synth to a range of 2, while the Linnstrument is set to 24, moving a lot bends a little, not in same distance as the pad you travel to. Meanwhile in reality the software is still set to 48 to match the Linnstrument set to 24. I've tried on Macbook Ableton with a couple of synths and now on the ipad with tera pro. (It's so frustrasting!), i'm swearing quite a lot.

What have I possibly done to have this seemingly start happening now? I'm sure it's never done this before

Thanks greatly

EDIT

Solution (I think)

I have a second linnstrument to check against and compare,
per-split settings -> View PerNote Channels (2nd col from left, 2nd from top), turn off midi channel 1, leave 2-8 turned on.

Seems to be working with this

Some confusion in the midi data if main midi channel is 1, and 1 is also used for per note data. Makes sense

5KW1RE wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:13 pm Meanwhile in reality the software is still set to 48 to match the Linnstrument set to 24.
Those values are supposed to match. 48 to 48, not 48 to 24.

that's not the problem. i mention both 24 and 48 because some synth implementations specify 48 and it means the same thing as having linnstrument set to 24. the problem was as mentioned in my edit. don't have per note midi channels include the same channel as main midi channel. so for example when i had per note channels 1 through to 8 on, every time eigth occurrence of per note x slides would not be sent as per note, they'd be sent on main channel and would result in the soft synth responding as if it had been set to pb range of just 2, even if it was set to 24 or 48 depending on the synth in question. 7 out of 8 would then work fine. solution, just exclude channel 1 from per notes, and use that for main channel

You can use Force MPE Settings to quickly configure the LinnStrument. From the Support page:
Hidden Setting: Force MPE Settings
Hold this button for more than 1/2 second to instantly change other relevant Per-Split Settings for MPE compatibility. The button's light will turn light blue and these settings will be set as follows:

Left split: Main Ch 1, Per-Note Chs 2-8
Right split: Main Ch 16, Per-Note Chs 9-15
Bend Range: 48 (This uses the hidden setting "Any Bend Range". See "Bend Range" heading below.)
Timbre/Y: CC74
Loudness/Z: Chan Pres

Also, LinnStrument will send a MIDI Remote Activation message (RPN 6), which will remotely set an MPE sound generator to MPE mode and set its channels and Bend Range to match LinnStrument's.
Note that if LinnStrument receives such a message from a synth, it will select Channel Per Note mode and set its Per-Note Channels and Bend Range to match the values in the received message.
You do not need to configure MPE manually.

Well as much as you say that, I just did what fixed the problem,
Cheers

Hidden settings are good to know, thank you

Hi 5KWIRE,

Thanks for owning a LinnStrument 128.

MPE can be confusing at first but there are 2 helpful pages that are accessed from the LinnStrument Support page:

“What is MPE”
This describes the small number of MIDI settings that all MPE controllers and MPE synths standardize on. So all you need to do is set both your LinnStrument and Synth for MPE. Yes, there are some MPE synths that have partial implementations, and there some multi-timbral synths that can be confusing to set up as for semi-MPE use, but these days most synths that claim MPE compatibility adhere to at least the basic MPE settings.

“Getting Started”
Near the end of section 2 on this page is a description of the hidden setting mentioned by FranklyFlawless: HOLD the ChPerNote button for 1 second to instantly set all settings for MPE play.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”