Synthesia Light Guide for LinnStrument

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, it should find the instrument input and output. Have you selected the LinnStrument there? And did you close any applications that block the MIDI port?

Thanks for posting the console output, but they also don't point out any real problem that could be causing this. I would be up for some live-session to try together if that works for you? Something like Jitsi Meet or what you prefer.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

With your hints, I was able to figure out a workaround:
  1. Connect the LinnStrument.
  2. Open the web app.
  3. When prompted to grant access to MIDI devices, choose "Continue to Installation", then "Add", then optionally "Okay".
  4. Change the value of "LinnStrument Size" to "200", then the values of "Input: Instrument" and "Output: Instrument" to "LinnStrument MIDI: MIDI MIDI 1 24:0" or similar, then click "Save & Apply Config".
  5. Close and reopen the window/tab to reload the configuration.
This means that after clicking "Save & Apply Config", the web app's dropdown menus do not repopulate nor automatically select any MIDI devices until after the window/tab is closed and reopened. If I had to guess, the entire web app itself does not reload any of its own resources, breaking functionality.

Ok, nice to hear that you got it working.
You're right - the app doesn't really reload. So far I haven't run into a situation where this was necessary.

Curious: What is your setup? So what OS and Browser versions are you using? It sounds a bit like your MIDI device discovery / selection by the browser does not work as properly as it works in my setup.

Fannon wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:50 pm What is your setup? So what OS and Browser versions are you using?
I use a Purism Librem 14 v1-01 with PureOS 10.3 'Byzantium', which is based on Debian 'Bullseye'. The web browser I use, as mentioned earlier, is Firefox ESR 115.8.0esr (64-bit) with a modestly hardened configuration. The LinnStrument uses my own custom firmware, but the changes made are limited and should not be affecting the web app.

Ok, get it! That's for sure a rather uncommon and more secure setup you have there!
If you can live with your workaround I'd prefer to keep it that way. When I get back to working on the webapp, I'll consider this reload topic, but I may not be able to replicate the issue.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”