New Atom SQ Extension

RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

Hello there. :) If you have a Presonus Atom SQ laying about that you would like to use with Bitwig, check out my new extension.
files: https://tinyurl.com/mvw4h897
source code: https://github.com/JamesB-VS/AtomSQ_Java

What does this extension bring to the table?
1. Endless encoders that work properly ( no jumping)
2. full use of the display and mode buttons
3. written in Java to utilize the hardware virtualization features for faster response (than JavaScript).

A huge thanks to Moss for his great videos, they were essential to me being able to get my head around this project, and to all those that contributed to the official Bitwig extension repo, from whom I learned many tricks by reading their code.
I welcome any and all feedback. :)

Hello, I am interested in this controller and read your manual. Does the screen show the name of the encoders so you can see what you are turning?

On page four you may have written something twice “ Opens the browser to insert a new device to the left”
One of the times it may mean to read insert a device to the right.

I’m on Mac so if I get an SQ I will certainly test it out. Cheers

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Yeah the left/right is a typo. An no, the encoders do not say on the device what they are controlling whilst turning. That should be technically possible, I will keep it in mind for a future update.

Hellp Creepr, thanks for the nice job done with the script. I try to install it in my Win10 Bitwig 4.4.10.
There are 2x2 fielsds entering the MIDI Information and whatever I put in I can´t get the keyboard play any sounds. Can you help me? Best wishes

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mirkosch wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:44 pm Hellp Creepr, thanks for the nice job done with the script. I try to install it in my Win10 Bitwig 4.4.10.
There are 2x2 fielsds entering the MIDI Information and whatever I put in I can´t get the keyboard play any sounds. Can you help me? Best wishes

atomsqmidisettings.jpg
Same problem here. Everything works fine except keyboard notes (MOD and PB works well).
W11, BWS 5.0.4, AtomSQ firmware 1.17, Presonus Universal Control 4.1.0.93124
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lenovo Legion 5 Pro, Ryzen7 5800H, 8C/16T, 32MB RAM, 2x1TB M.2, NVIDIA RTX3060 Laptop GPU, Bitwig Studio 5.x, Presonus Studio One 5/6, Presonus Studio 26c, Presonus ATOM SQ, AKAI APC40 MKII, Evolution UC-33e, M-Audio Radium 49, Studiologic VMK 188 Plus

Hello, sorry for the late reply, I was out and about a lot in the last month. Could you both check which midi channel your controller pads are set to? The default is channel 10. You have to have the controller connected but not have Bitwig open. Then go to the Editor menu, touch a pad in the keyboard to ensure you are editing the pads (the display will say "pads" on the top line) and ensure the Midi channel is set to 10. then be sure to use the top left button to "Save to Current." Let me know if that helps. The midi devices are correct in your (HPKVR) screenshot.

Hi Creepr,
on MIDI Channel 10 it works. Is it possible to receive Omni/All Channels in this script, not only Ch10?

Anyway thanks for info and for this script...i am curious for any improvements, new features etc.

EDIT: In Devices Mode buttons 1-8 work only for Device remote controls, not for Project Remotes :-( Can you add this feature?
Lenovo Legion 5 Pro, Ryzen7 5800H, 8C/16T, 32MB RAM, 2x1TB M.2, NVIDIA RTX3060 Laptop GPU, Bitwig Studio 5.x, Presonus Studio One 5/6, Presonus Studio 26c, Presonus ATOM SQ, AKAI APC40 MKII, Evolution UC-33e, M-Audio Radium 49, Studiologic VMK 188 Plus

Hey there. I can sure take a look. The project remotes came out after I wrote the code. As to the channels, I want to check something, and will get back on that.

This is really good, thanks for sharing! in 2021 Jurgen said the SQ wasn't very programmable so he stopped looking into it. But there's been some firmware updates since then >_>

I noticed that the knobs don't remap to new functions if changing the remote panel page on Polysynth (ie from OSC1to OSC2 or FILT). Is this user error on my part? I got the Atom SQ running on Bitwig's Atom extension (kind of) and it does change the knobs as the pages change. I also got the step sequencer function working >_> (after making a clip). The lower 16 pads are the same as the 16 pads on the OG Atom (ie they're also the only ones that light up to match the track lol).

I'm mostly asking because using the User button for the keyboard kills the ability to change knob and button pages so I couldn't remap myself to other knob banks if I wanted to.

Thanks Koldunya :) I think the page issue is in the code, not a user issue. I will add rhat to the list of open topics.
I am really glad you folks are getting some use out of the script. I am quite busy with work at the moment but I promise to get working on an update. I need to dig into the v5 api changes and attend to the issues you have brought up.

it's no problem, take your time, you don't owe us anything :)

Hey hey, just a quick note that I have started working on an update. I have taken all of the FB here and added them as new issues in my repo, so I should not forget anything. I am undecided if I will bundle everything into a single new version (based on 5.0) or add some fixes to the 4.4 version and then do a general update. Any opinions? Anyone sticking to the older versions of BW?

Hi Creepr,
BWS 5+ is ok for me, i don't use older versions.

I'm on 5.0.9 myself atm, fwiw

I am as well. The thing is Bitwig apparently changed the Java Version they use in 5.0, and the API version has also changed, so I need to update those in my code to use the newest features, like Program Remote Controls. so i am doing QoL stuff first, and then will move up to a 5.0 based version.

To that end, I am working on V1.1, and the RC page controls now update to whatever page you are on, as per request. Other fixes to follow.

Return to “Controller Scripting”