Need 1U Rack gear. What should I get?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Compulsive GAS derangement syndrome full in action here and since it's silly Sunday I allow myself to include the KvR tribe into my musings.

I got a terrible 1U hole in my desktop rack.
Needs to be filled with something.
What you fill it with?

Oh - and it needs to be black.

I am thinking of one of those old Alesis old-school reverbs - but I'm open for anything. As long as it's black. Or dark grey.
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

How about a Yamaha TX81Z
https://reverb.com/c/keyboards-and-synt ... unt-synths

or some other like an Oberheim Matrix 1000 there on first page.

Or just get a black rack plate panel to fill the void....

I hate having those gaps in my racks so I feel your pain! My choice would be an Access Virus Rack XL. Not only does it sound great, it’s the best looking 1U rack unit ever made IMO. Nevermind that it’s a PITA to program, but that’s what presets are for, right?

:hihi:
0FF243E9-6389-45FE-83C8-BA47FAA23392.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

cryophonik wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:40 am I hate having those gaps in my racks so I feel your pain! My choice would be an Access Virus Rack XL. Not only does it sound great, it’s the best looking 1U rack unit ever made IMO. Nevermind that it’s a PITA to program, but that’s what presets are for, right?

:hihi:

0FF243E9-6389-45FE-83C8-BA47FAA23392.jpeg
Already got a Virus but damn - I absolutely love the old black design with red displays. Gorgeous!
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

lfm wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:03 am How about a Yamaha TX81Z
https://reverb.com/c/keyboards-and-synt ... unt-synths

or some other like an Oberheim Matrix 1000 there on first page.

Or just get a black rack plate panel to fill the void....
The TX is a really solid suggestion. Thanks!

If you need a preamp or channel strip, the Warm Audio TB12 or WA73/73EQ/273 are pretty nice and not terribly expensive.

For dynamics, Drawmer has some very nice 1U processors that sound great and have a very classy look.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Roland S-330 if you haven't tried!

Is there a picture or list of other gear in the rack already?

Because my go-to for this is "patchbay" or "midi patchbay" but no idea if relevant really.

DIYRE Colour Duo looks fun and useful. For a less subtle distortion unit the Sansamp PSA-1 is a classic.

Thinking of adding a 1u drawer containing a taped-down Cioks DC7 to my own rack so that it's quick and tidy to power pedals and other gadgets that have come out of cupboards.

I always regretted not buying a Reflex. I got the Alex and really liked and still like it, but Reflex is far better specced in terms of editability. Lovely sound too. You still see them around for sale at not silly prices. And seriously better than any old Alesis reverb.
Last edited by kritikon on Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

But that space would be better filled with one of these, obvs...
...black'n'red so it fits the bill perfectly :hihi:

And what about a dB meter? Not very useful as a measurement tool, but dirty cheap and always nice to look at all those led lights in the rack. Oh, and black, of course.
https://www.thomann.de/es/the_t.racks_dbmeter.htm

Spotted these rack units while I was surfing...on Etsy. Quite nice looking in a quirky way, which made me think, I could make something like that easily. Actually, maybe I will...

Get a 1u filler with a drawer or ash tray.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

A blank panel would be the cheapest option... maybe one with pre-drilled holes, so you can add some connectors (if you have something that you'd like to bring to the front, but you don't want to install a patchbay).

For the show, I'd suggest a Plasma Rack by Gamechanger Audio (disclaimer: I've never tried it, I have only the Plasma Pedal and I think it's a very particular / specialized effect, something I rarely use... and it's expensive... but the look is impressive!).

Or maybe you could consider a spring reverb like the Vermona VSR 3.2 (again, I never tried it, but it's all black but the knobs and Vermona is a reputable brand AFAIK)...
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

kritikon wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:23 am Image

I always regretted not buying a Reflex. I got the Alex and really liked and still like it, but Reflex is far better specced in terms of editability. Lovely sound too. You still see them around for sale at not silly prices. And seriously better than any old Alesis reverb.
This one have completely slipped under my radar. Looks very fun indeed! Thanks for a great suggestion.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”