Software similar to SOMA Labs Cosmos hardware "looper"?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there any software with similar functionality to Cosmos. Really like it's unpredictable nature but would rather have it in software.

Thank you!

Greg

Not the same but audio damage enso has some beautiful results.

killmaster wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:35 pm Is there any software with similar functionality to Cosmos. Really like it's unpredictable nature but would rather have it in software.

Thank you!

Greg
The issue isn't having software with similar capability, it is how do you control that software in a hands on realtime way like using the Cosmos.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:29 pm
killmaster wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:35 pm Is there any software with similar functionality to Cosmos. Really like it's unpredictable nature but would rather have it in software.

Thank you!

Greg
The issue isn't having software with similar capability, it is how do you control that software in a hands on realtime way like using the Cosmos.
true!

One could build something like that in Max/MSP. I just watched some videos about it, and I like the idea behind it… I doubt there is any software like that out in the wild. As pdxindy pointed out, the hands on UI is important, you would need also a controller to assign it. I imagine a Arturia Beatstep or a Midi fighter Twister could be mapped to control such a Max patch almost like the original…
But it wouldn‘t be exact, as some features are not explained clear enough, but it could be in the same ballpark…

pdxindy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:29 pm The issue isn't having software with similar capability, it is how do you control that software in a hands on realtime way like using the Cosmos.
i agree on the sentiment that the HW controller setup at hand is here a main part of the whole equation.
personally i have a HW controller setup that could do it. "No issue" i´d say, just a question of the workload. ;)

I personally dealt with delays to create "jammable loopstations", while i never could gel with all the dedicated plugin loopers i tryed. (Enso for example worked only in demo mode flawlessly. after i bought it, was i having problems.)

VCV RAck2 turned here my friend, finally.
You can do there quite fun things.
But might never turn into a "exact" replacement.

Something new on this? I just discovered Cosmos, and I would really love a plugin like that.

I wonder how similar Cosmos compares to Spacefields IOS cause I'm getting some really interesting (though hit and miss of course) looping using it and when I do I imagine Cosmos would be very similar in feeling.

I just bought Recurse from Lese.io (on sale). It has some fundamental similarities to the way cosmos works. It's still far from it, but it is in a similar area just the same.

*Maybe combining more than one of them in Bitwig could give you results along the lines you want.

i went with the cosmos. has been on pretty much every piece since, so worth the investment for me. :)

Sadly, u have to have money to invest it. Although i cancelled my pre-order for it
as i thought i wouldnt use it overly. i think
that still tbh...

pekbro wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:33 pm Sadly, u have to have money to invest it. Although i cancelled my pre-order for it
as i thought i wouldnt use it overly. i think
that still tbh...
horses for courses, like strega, cosmos had "me" written all over it :lol:

Strega, another pass for me... :shrug:

Anyway, the recurse plugin is worth a look
for anyone seeking such stuff.

I only know Stellarium: This is software for visualizing the night sky.

MuratGloris wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:54 am I only know Stellarium: This is software for visualizing the night sky.
Cosmos is audio hardware for looping so what's your point?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Instruments”