MuLab 9...Where's The Outpouring Of Love?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"@dear dev" You can talk to Jo directly in the KVR Mutools forum. He's extremely accessible.

^^^ I don't believe in feature requests, One Dream, One Goal, One Vision! ... it was a rhetorical request :D
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

You're on KVR and you don't believe in feature requests??? ;-) I was more pointing out that Jo talks to his users rather than ignore them as many companies do.

BItwig like XY device
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47cubxsc9_g
proof of concept :) respect to Mulab :party:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Just wanted to drop in and "Outpour some love" on Mulab 9.3

Ever since VST3 was introduced I've gone back and given it a proper go the last few weeks as this was the main feature holding me back from putting more time into the software. Its fast, sleek, stable, clean, and I'm making more music in it than ever before. The interface is a little different from the other DAW's but after a couple hours everything feels very natural in getting around. I've not had any trouble with my massive plugin library and stability seems rock solid as of 9.3.

I'm going to continue putting time into learning all I can about this fine piece of software and then maybe do some proper Youtube tutorials since there seems to be a need for that out there. If you've tried an earlier Mulab version before but it didn't click I suggest you give it a second look. It really is a lot of fun to work with.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

jjpscott01 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:38 am If you've tried an earlier Mulab version before but it didn't click I suggest you give it a second look.
Its been years so I decided to give it a second look even though there is the ridiculous 40min time limit restriction.
The way I see it is it's a damn modular daw, and there's a 40 minute restriction??? It takes me that long just to get to know an unfamiliar DAW.
I really don't get why the demo cant be fully functional with the option to save and a license to open the saved files.
Whatever. Gave it another go anyways.
It really is a lot of fun to work with.
Mulab suffers from what I call the One Man Syndrome in reference to the layout and workflow. It's made from one man's point of view. With that being said, either you "get it" or you don't. Unfortunately I don't so no, it's not fun. The whole overall workflow feels "unfinished" (that's the best description i can give).
What's with the dual modular parts? So you have the main modular layout for the whole project and then the modular part which is the Mux??? I have no idea.
Mulab would be better if it was just one main modular area where you can load customized layouts.
So, ditch the whole composer layout and just have it where you can load as many tracks one wants and sync it to a transport device/module.
Even better have each track with it's own exclusive transport settings (its own BPM, time sig, length play/stop/playback settings etc.).
If one wants they can "slave" tracks to follow one master track and voila there's your "composer".
You could even extend this to work like a looping matrix.
Add this to building a modular synth and it would be a solid modular DAW.
Right now it's a too disorganized (imo) layout for something that could be an open canvas modular host (and the possibility ro be a good one at that).
Basically pick up where Bidule left off.

jjpscott01 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:38 amThe interface is a little different from the other DAW's but after a couple hours everything feels very natural in getting around.
I agree. The MuLab design is very logical and consistent. For example:

- There is a modular view, but you can nest modular areas inside each other, so its logical.
- There is a linear composition view, but you can have a multi-track audio sequencer within each track, or play loops in each track.
- There is a rack, but you can connect any racks to any tracks, or put a rack into a modular area.
- There are several types of samplers, but you can modify a sample in one device and then use that modified sample anywhere.
- You can use plugins in the rack or the modular, or make your own plugins by combining MuLab modules and plugins.

The 'design language' combines the best of the modular and linear approaches :party:
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

The last time I checked out MuLab, it did not have multi-core support. Is that still true? What about MPE?

F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Thanks...

So yes on Multi-core and no on MPE. I'll check back in a year! :tu:

Jo's a great guy, and there's a lot of unique and useful stuff in Mulab. But the non-standard, screen-hogging, barely-contextual menus drive me crazy. It takes way too much time to navigate them and find what I want.

jonljacobi wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:04 pm Jo's a great guy, and there's a lot of unique and useful stuff in Mulab. But the non-standard, screen-hogging, barely-contextual menus drive me crazy. It takes way too much time to navigate them and find what I want.
I don't mind him hiding complexity in that way, but it may be time to rethink how entries are ordered and organized as a couple of very common things that I use are WAY at the bottom. I don't even mind single submenus for the less-common items.

Jo, if you're listening, you might want to put this concern on the back burner awhile to consider. Thanks!
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

As a long time Reaper user and old school guy who grew up on tape machines. Reaper is my go to for audio recording. It just makes sense from my perspective.

That said ....if I want to design a build stuff in a modular environment such as mixers, fx or instruments.. mulab plugin integrates perfectly with in my Reaper workflow.

But If I want to create electronic/midi based music. I turn to Mulab. It is stable, uncluttered and down right fun to work in. Even with no vsts ...just included mulab/mulib (user contributions) I create more music faster and its more fun. Still export stems and mix in Reaper.....Only cause Im used to it and nothing beats Reapers efficiency and routing.

Love me some Mulab
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

A pity, that you can't buy the plugin version OR the DAW version as separate buys.

Edith:
Oh, never mind.
Seems they have changed it since yesterday.
Now you can buy them separate.

All I know is having a blast working with it the last couple weeks. The older I get the harder I find it to be musically inspired working inside of a digital environment but something about Mulab allows me to focus on simply making music. I find its simplicity less distracting and its just easy on the eyes after using so many "Feature Rich" pieces of DAW software over the years. Everything in life is subjective of course but I'm glad I gave Mulab a second look.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”