can anyone share experience with splice.com?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I ran into splice.com by chance. It looks interesting to me. Can any expert here share experience with that company? It looks interesting to me, to get music ideas.

Thanks!

Or can any expert here share some other sites that are good for music ideas please. Thanks.

I've used Noiiz and Splice in the past. Both were pretty slick and have some really nice packs. There are even more sample subscription sites out there if you look around.

For me, they were most useful for unique sampled drums and acoustic instrument samples and loops, as I don't really have a way to record them at home.

I've never really found the synth loops useful from these sites, as they always feel like someone elses discarded loops to me. Never quite right for me to build a song off of. That said, they can be useful if you are a creative sample chopper/mangler.

Thank you very much Schmidi! I strongly believe what you said.

I ran into a few sites recently. They all require 'subscription', which is continuous payments month after month. I guess that may be just waste of money.

Thanks again!

No problem buddy. I don't mean to make you feel like they are a total waste though. I've amassed some great drum and foley sounds through these sites. Even some nice bass sounds to play with. I just found that I like making my own synth sounds more in most cases. You might see some nice deals near black Friday too. Cheers

Start with a free trial subscription. Those will be surely available next month near BF if not now. Start there. If you don't use much during the trial, then don't subscribe.

I got a free multi-month trial to splice and used that time to look through what samples were there, and sort them. After the trial, subbed for another month at high capacity song credits and downloaded everything to go. If I recall the subscription was month-to-month and I only paid for a single month. Was worth it, especially if you save the samples off for future use and are the type to pick through a la carte what you want out of a sample collection. For me a mix of foley, one-shots and loops. They have a decent selection of sample collections to choose from.

If you're just looking for music *ideas* try freesound.org.

We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I got a free 3 month subscription to splice when I bought an MPC Live 2,but never bothered with it. Why? Because, my attitude is that sampling, by its very nature should be done by the user. I've no doubt that there are many great sample packs worth the money. But why pay out? To me the point of a sampler is to create your own library.

Samples can be made from just about any source, and a little creativity can go a long way. :)

But that's just me. Personally, I believe if you're going to buy sample packs, you may as well just buy a synth and preset packs.

It's a good service and its library and search filters are very good

As a service it's very good, but you should pause/cancel payments when you are not using it. Just remember to download everything and use your points before your subscription ends.

Splice works when it is used for backgrounds, drum hits, partial drum loops (shaker loops etc.), foleys, drones... as a bonus source for your own song. Building the main hook or melodies of "your" song through Splice loops would be plain stupid.

I'm a total newbie to making music in 2022. I like Splice a lot. I suck at programming drums. Splice let's me quickly drop decent varying drums onto a track so I don't just listen to the same placeholder pattern for a week until I can get around to sequencing the drum section.

Sometimes if I want a specific type of sound for a track I will just get a one shot off Splice and use that in Simpler/Sampler until I get around to setting up the actual sound. This let's me stay in a creative space and get what's in my head out instead of switching to a sound tweaking space. This is especially useful for new/current sounds not in my sound banks. Normally I replace the sound later with something better but not always.

Vocals. Vocals add so much, and since I don't plan to release my tracks I don't care that 1000 other people used them. If you used sample CDs in the 90s you would realize what a deal Splice is in this regard. It's funny to see people complaining everyone uses Splice vocals then asking where XYZ vocal sample used in 1000s 90s tracks came from. Again, you can replace the vocals later, but just having more polished vocals/drums during the creative process really helps push you because the track sounds good now instead of you reminding yourself it will sound better later once you polish/apply some production value.

For me it saves so much wasted time on futzing with samples instead of making music and motivates me by making my music sound better way earlier in the process.

Thank you all so much, Shmidi, kidslow, bertkoor, sl23, mementus, Lazarus451, ROTMetro! Your replies are all great information to have! I saw many similar subscription services. I was totally lost. That is why I was asking help here. Thank you all for your kindness and expert knowledge!

sl23 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:44 am I got a free 3 month subscription to splice when I bought an MPC Live 2,but never bothered with it. Why? Because, my attitude is that sampling, by its very nature should be done by the user. I've no doubt that there are many great sample packs worth the money. But why pay out? To me the point of a sampler is to create your own library.

Samples can be made from just about any source, and a little creativity can go a long way. :)

But that's just me. Personally, I believe if you're going to buy sample packs, you may as well just buy a synth and preset packs.
yup I do both of those, guess I am not a real musician. :hihi:
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Usually, only end result matters. No one cares if some background noise was sampled by me. I really like how Tinlicker uses Splice for example. But if you create only sample based music, then it's important to put creativity into sampling too. When you make electronic music and use midi to make your melodies, Splice is good source for samples. If you make instrumental sample based hiphop, I would put my time in sampling.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”