Patchwork internal sidechain??

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all,

In patchwork, I would like to build a compressor sidechain. Let me explain.

I want to put a high pass, and a compressor on the incoming audio. Then I would like to route that audio to the sidechain of another compressor and compress the ORIGIANL source.

Is that possible??

It is indeed possible. (you may have to use the latest preview to select a different I/O configuration if there is no extra channel available - for a stereo side chain configuration you need 4 inputs and 2 outputs).

The idea is to use the audio I/O configuration for the plug-ins (available in the plug-in slot menu) to select which channels the plug-ins are processing. It can also be used to route signals on different channels.

For your particular purpose, you will want to use 2 parallel chains:
- first parallel chain remains empty, that's the original signal
- on the second parallel chain, place your filters for the side chain. And on the last plug-in in the chain, change the audio I/O so that the outputs of the plug-ins go to channels 3/4 instead of 1/2 (and select "mute unused channels). The output of this filtered parallel chain will go to channels 3/4 which are usually the side chain channels for stereo plug-ins.
Place your compressor with side chain in the post section of PatchWork: it should receive both the original signal and side chain in the appropriate inputs.

Hi folks,

Is this now working in the regular release, or do we still need to use the latest preview version?

It would be really amazing to be able to route audio from any plugin to the sidechain input of any other plugin in Patchwork!

Yes the latest version of PatchWork includes the internal audio I/O selection, so you can do internal side chain even if the host does not support side chain. ANd if you are crazy enough, you can even do side chain between multiple tracks using Connector :-).

Hi guys Im a visual learner, is there any chance of a video tutorial of both possibilities/outcomes. been on the hunt for something like this for the past 3 days now. would come in handy for STEM processing. Please and thanks in advance!

There is no video tutorail about it, but it's not rocket science. Can you maybe give more details about what you exactly want to do?

Thanks for the explanation above, it was great! I'm wondering how I might go about doing something similar for stem mastering. I'm trying to figure out how to get my entire master bus chain (which includes several different plugins), into a Patchwork instance, and have a sidechain feed that chain so it processes both the sidechain signal and original audio signal in series, if that makes sense.

For example, I've got an EQ, then a compressor, another EQ, a saturation plugin, then a maximizer/limiter on my master bus. I would like to load that whole chain into a Patchwork instance, copy that Patchwork instance across my final stem print tracks, and then feed each instance with a sidechain containing the full unprocessed mix signal that goes into the master bus so that once the sidechain goes into Patchwork, it works its way down my master bus chain while processing the stem's original audio.

I know it's a rather confusing way of explaining things, please let me know if you need further clarification. Any help would be hugely appreciated!

I am not sure I am actually understanding what you mean here. Can you maybe make a drawing to explain what the routing would look like?

I'm looking after the exact same thing as shaunchenmusic, and I thought I'd struck gold when I found out about patchwork, but haven't been able to get it to work yet.

I want to be able to process the stems of individual elements in my mix (eg Vocal Stem, Guitar Stem, Drum Stem, etc) with my Master Bus processing, however, I want the plugins to react as if they're being fed the full mix, not the individual elements.

How I envisioned it working was like this:
1. print my mix before it hits any of the Master Bus processing
2. have this unprocessed mix on its own track within the project, label it "Master Bus Print"
3. load up an instance of patchwork, the audiosuite version as it allows side-chaining off of stereo signals (I use protools)
4. select multi-input mode in the side-chain section and set the "Master Bus Print" track as the source
5. insert all plugins in master chain into patchwork
6. print processing onto individual stems whilst whole plugin chain is reacting, in series, to the "Master Bus Print" track.

I'm not sure if this is at all possible as patchwork would have to be 'hosting' the side-chaining duties.

Hope this all makes sense, I'm not the best at explaining myself, but would be a lifesaver if it does end up working.

PieterRietkerk wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:25 pm I'm looking after the exact same thing as shaunchenmusic, and I thought I'd struck gold when I found out about patchwork, but haven't been able to get it to work yet.

I want to be able to process the stems of individual elements in my mix (eg Vocal Stem, Guitar Stem, Drum Stem, etc) with my Master Bus processing, however, I want the plugins to react as if they're being fed the full mix, not the individual elements.

How I envisioned it working was like this:
1. print my mix before it hits any of the Master Bus processing
2. have this unprocessed mix on its own track within the project, label it "Master Bus Print"
3. load up an instance of patchwork, the audiosuite version as it allows side-chaining off of stereo signals (I use protools)
4. select multi-input mode in the side-chain section and set the "Master Bus Print" track as the source
5. insert all plugins in master chain into patchwork
6. print processing onto individual stems whilst whole plugin chain is reacting, in series, to the "Master Bus Print" track.

I'm not sure if this is at all possible as patchwork would have to be 'hosting' the side-chaining duties.

Hope this all makes sense, I'm not the best at explaining myself, but would be a lifesaver if it does end up working.
I think what you're trying to do should be possible.

But i don't see why you need Patchwork for it.

Can't you just put a compressor on your DAW master bus and feed your "Master Bus Print" track to it's sidechain input while you solo each stem to export?

But anyway, one thing to be aware of when changing to the audio i/o of a slot in Patchwork is that the routing will only come into effect once you hit "OK" and close the settings window.

I just tried side-chaining in Patchwork for the first time and it seems to be working fine.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”