Kosmology looping prob?

Official support for: hgsounds.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am a longtime user and huge fan of Kosmology. I recently installed the Kosmology Collection, and really like the new interface and clearer organization, but am having some very odd, glitchy behavior in the basic looping function. E.g., loading "Kosmology Analog" and simply holding down a key, it loops, but some steps are randomly held longer (or the next step is not triggered properly), throwing everything off. Usually happens within a bar or two. Doesn't matter which Kosmology instrument is running. No randomization is on - just installed it and pressed a key. Nothing else is going on on the machine. If I add, e.g., StylusRMX playing a simple beat, it plays correctly, while Kosmology is skipping beats like crazy.

Cassetto instruments, from that same Collection installation, work fine.

I am running the latest Kosmology in Kontakt 6.6.1 with Bitwig 4.1.2 (on a Mac Pro with tons of memory, OS 10.15.7). The K5 and K6 Kosmology instruments both show the problem. Running Kontakt standalone gives better results - the skipping happens more rarely, but usually within 30 seconds or so. Unfortunately, I don't have another machine to try it on, but I have not had any problems with other Kontakt instruments, and the problem does not occur when running the old Kosmology. Anybody else seen anything like this?

I will have a look into it, I have Bitwig. Something definitely has changed with the way the clock beats come into Kontakt, I’ve noticed with the instruments I’ve been working on lately, the clock beats have a drastic jitter that can be negative or positive. It’s problematic when using the quantize setting which quantises the 1st note, resulting in the first note being ignore if it comes un early in a loop, so it’s perhaps related to that.

Do you think missing the first note or it being late describes the issue?

If it is that issue, it shouldn’t happen when just playing back a song timeline as long as the song is started before a Kontakt note. The early notes get played, but dropped when looping a section.

No, definitely not a first-note thing - didn't ever have it happen then. It was happening after only a bar or two (took much longer to appear when running Kontakt standalone, but it did still happen there, so not a Bitwig specific thing).

Oddly, after going away for a few hours and logging back in, the problem takes MUCH longer to appear. I set "hold", hit a note, and now it only starts messing up after a minute or two. It's not that it becomes late, but that a beat or two in the pattern are skipped (or maybe it gets held on a step for longer than one beat), then it picks up the thread again. Will keep trying to narrow down the failure case if I can...

Okay, I think I understand it now. I generally use the "Hold" function and mess around in Kosmology without turning on the DAW transport when I'm narrowing in on the sound I want. But the missed beats problem arises sooner or later IF the transport in Bitwig is not going. When I engage the transport in Bitwig, no more missed beats. I don't mind always using the transport, though if Kosmology could reset itself without the transport going, that would be fine, too :) .

Ahhh, I’ll look into that, I don’t think it will be until next week now though. Thanks for letting me know!

Thanks! Turns out that this is still a problem even with the transport going, just takes longer to manifest. I can send you audio, if you need examples.

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”