Expressive E Noisy 2!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Noisy

Is it possible to demo this thing?

Product page doesn't mention anything about demo and I can't find any way to download it, so I suppose there is no demo available?

$39 US upgrade here.

Hmm. Maybe.

midi sentinel wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:00 pm Is it possible to demo this thing?

Product page doesn't mention anything about demo and I can't find any way to download it, so I suppose there is no demo available?
Looks like they just offer 30 day returns instead of a demo. I hate that. Don't think I'll bother unless I hear something more impressive.

I’m calling b.s. on the whole thing, because before I bought Noisy I asked about if they were thinking about adding MPE and I was told that it was coming… so now years later it’s here and I have to pay for it? Lame. I wouldn’t have bought it if I wasn’t told that it was getting MPE, but I guess they never said, “yeah, in a few years we’ll add it and charge you an upgrade fee.”
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:11 am I’m calling b.s. on the whole thing, because before I bought Noisy I asked about if they were thinking about adding MPE and I was told that it was coming… so now years later it’s here and I have to pay for it? Lame. I wouldn’t have bought it if I wasn’t told that it was getting MPE, but I guess they never said, “yeah, in a few years we’ll add it and charge you an upgrade fee.”
Don't buy things based on "whats coming"! I was very interested in v1 when it came out but didnt buy as it wasn't mpe. I'll take a closer look at this one.

Crazy. I never noticed this being released at v1. I dunno if I have the gumption to do a "buy before you try" demo/ return just to give this a go. It does seem more like what I always wanted chromaphone to be. I bet they'd have way more attention if people could actually demo.

Is there any way to feed audio to the resonators in an fx mode?
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:31 am
zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:11 am I’m calling b.s. on the whole thing, because before I bought Noisy I asked about if they were thinking about adding MPE and I was told that it was coming… so now years later it’s here and I have to pay for it? Lame. I wouldn’t have bought it if I wasn’t told that it was getting MPE, but I guess they never said, “yeah, in a few years we’ll add it and charge you an upgrade fee.”
Don't buy things based on "whats coming"! I was very interested in v1 when it came out but didnt buy as it wasn't mpe. I'll take a closer look at this one.
Well, when a representative from Expressive E said they were working on it, I took that to mean it was coming in an update that wasn’t 4 years from then.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:20 am
Well, when a representative from Expressive E said they were working on it, I took that to mean it was coming in an update that wasn’t 4 years from then.
I had the same understanding as you about that. But still, don't give money until it has what you want.

I held off from this due to being underwhelmed by Imagine, which also is still to get MPE, as well as the lack of MPE for this, but this looks like a whole new instrument really.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Thu May 09, 2024 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aMUSEd wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:45 am I held off from this due to being underwhelmed by Imagine, which also is still to get MPE, as well as shellack of MPE for this, but this looks like a whole new instrument really.
It is- its the instrument it should have been on launch! If you have an MPE controller I would say its well worth it, very easy to get interesting results. Hopefully Imagine will be next to get this treatment (which makes sense as they sell on one the best MPE Controllers!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

To be fair, the update is far more than just adding MPE, there are four new acoustic resonators, extra 500 new MPE Pre-sets, MPE triggers, PWM resonator, four extra filter emulations, enhanced soft clipper, new FX, new modulation, new GUI etc).

My update was 27E, more than happy to pay that for what's been added. The Trig Modes and Visualiser are really good and the price for me (playing with an with an Osmose)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Question: Is the MPE implementation configured in such a way that timbre (CC 72) and pressure (ie, PolyAT) are individually controllable? I ask because of Osmose, which I fear might guide Expressive E's implementation. On Osmose, timber is implemented as a second layer that takes over after bottoming out on pressure. So you can't control them independently. In fact, they rename pressure to aftertouch, and timber to pressure. I have a Rise 2, where timbre is implemented as slide and thus independent of pressure.

EDIT: Yeah, according to the walkthrough video above, it looks like it. They linked them. Ugg. To use this thing as its engineered, you need an Osmose.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:24 am
zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:20 am
I had the same understanding as you about that. But still, don't give money until it has what you want.
Yeah, lesson learned. I’m also dealing with Expressive E because my Touche stopped accepting firmware updates, and now I’ve got to pay $100 for a b-stock one. I’m not all that happy with them at this point.
Zerocrossing Media

teilo wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:41 pm EDIT: Yeah, according to the walkthrough video above, it looks like it. They linked them. Ugg. To use this thing as its engineered, you need an Osmose.
That's disappointing to hear. And I have an Osmose.

Does Noisy 2 support the pressure weighted portamento?

teilo wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:41 pm Question: Is the MPE implementation configured in such a way that timbre (CC 72) and pressure (ie, PolyAT) are individually controllable? I ask because of Osmose, which I fear might guide Expressive E's implementation. On Osmose, timber is implemented as a second layer that takes over after bottoming out on pressure. So you can't control them independently. In fact, they rename pressure to aftertouch, and timber to pressure. I have a Rise 2, where timbre is implemented as slide and thus independent of pressure.

EDIT: Yeah, according to the walkthrough video above, it looks like it. They linked them. Ugg. To use this thing as its engineered, you need an Osmose.
Oh. That’s a definite pass for me, then. I’ve got a Rise 49 and a Linnstrument. No plans for an Osmose. I don’t like how it fakes portamento.
Zerocrossing Media

Return to “Instruments”