Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dellboy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:51 pm Anyone had success with importing Dawproject songs from Bitwig?
I've tried doing it from Studio One to Studio One and it hasn't worked very well. A MIDI file is about as useful.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Anyone got experience using Studio One Remote for iPad?

I ask because I switched to Ableton Live, and being able to use Ableton Link (and Note tbf) is super cool + I like cross platform stuff since it lets me set up templates etc on PC and then use then on MacBook for gigs or whatever, wherever I want.

I believe S1 can do both of the above - haven't heard much about people using S1 Remote though, would like to hear whether people like it or not, latency issues etc?

I don't even know what I'd use it for. It seems like the answer to a question no Studio One user ever asked. I might load it up on my ancient tablet at some point and see if I can get anything useful out of it but my confidence is not high at all.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:29 am I don't even know what I'd use it for.
It's great for recording - comes in quite handy while I'm at the mic-stand or sitting at the piano or so...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Further on "Dawproject" testing. I tried converting some Studio One songs using the Studio One converter, to "Dawproject" files,and then imported them into Bitwig with much better success. One of the songs used Studio Ones own "Presence" instrument which I had to find an alternative for,but apart from that,all VSTs and audio worked well. So Studio One > Bitwig seems to be viable,but not the other way around so much.

I then downloaded "Project Converter by Jürgen Moßgrabera,a free "Dawproject converter",which converts "Dawproject" songs to Reaper. This app was very easy to use and worked reasonably well,with just a few tweaks needed to get things correct. So Studio One to Reaper is viable for those who might want it.

https://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Pro ... erter.html

BONES wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:29 am I don't even know what I'd use it for. It seems like the answer to a question no Studio One user ever asked. I might load it up on my ancient tablet at some point and see if I can get anything useful out of it but my confidence is not high at all.

Could be useful for live work, if you were to use a MacBook/laptop with S1 and a MIDI controller etc for sounds rather than a stage keyboard or whatever, I'm not super keen on adding extra tech steps to live gigs though tbf.

Depending on your setup, could be useful to record without being at the PC/Macbook too.

OK, possibly handy for a Mac user but for anyone with a touchscreen workstation, the Show Page is available, although equally useless for the way we work on stage. It seems to target such a tiny slice of live performers that I can't imagine too many people finding it useful. It feels to me like it would be perfect for a keyboard player in a band who is providing multiple parts in every arrangement but most keyboard players in bands just play and have no need of any of the things the app or Show Page offer.

If you're doing it all by yourself on stage, like we do, then it doesn't seem to offer anything that could be useful. We'd have to render all our backing tracks out and load 'em all into the Show Page for a gig. We'd end up with 20+GB of stems for a set, hundreds of gigs for all the songs we might want to play, and we'd have to do a lot of extra work to get there. As it is, we just load up the latest version of a song, with the part(s) I play muted (MIDI mute) and off we go. I can load the whole set beforehand, so there only needs to be a couple of seconds between songs but I still have to choose the next song from the list with my mouse, on stage, which isn't a good look. All we'd need is a simple way for S1 to go from one song to the next all by itself. Korg workstations have been able to do it since the Trinity, I don't see why it's so much to ask for a full-fledged DAW.
jens wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:01 amIt's great for recording - comes in quite handy while I'm at the mic-stand or sitting at the piano or so...
I have a monkey for that (my bandmate), although I've always managed fine on my own. If I used the app for something like that, it would be purely because I could, not because I feel it would make anything better/easier. I very deliberately bought a computer I can place where I can reach it easily and, if you have a tower or MacPro or something, you can position a Bluetooth keyboard where you can get to it easily enough.

I'd rather they made it easier to get transport controls on my MIDI controller working reliably. I used to be able to do it with my old Line 6 controller and Orion but I can't get S1 to work with either my KeyStep or my DMK-25 and support were, as usual, a massive waste of my time.

If I was to leave Studio One, it would be because of all these little niggly issues that support can't help me with. They tell me nobody else has ever reported similar issues, yet they are problems consistent over my last 6 computers, under both Win10 & W11, with 3 or 4 different I/O devices. My bandmate has no problem replicating/confirming them, either. Still, despite these issues, I feel that I am far more productive with Studio One than I ever was with Cubase or Bitwig, so I'll put up with the 5% of the time it drives me nuts because the other 95% is better than any alternative I've found.

logic left me for mac
i left cubase
i left reason
cheated on studio one with ableton never stayed with ableton
now in a relationship with bitwig

Bitwig is sexy i love her

dartfordyes wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:19 pm Bitwig is sexy i love her
Careful, she is an expensive mistress with that tempting yearly update plan.... :wink:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:29 pm
Careful, she is an expensive mistress with that tempting yearly update plan.... :wink:
tbh she knew i was broke ass when she got with me , so she has to know i cant always give her the yearly upgrades she needs and she said she’s good with that ( i need to get out more )

You know she wears a two bit wig.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:26 pm
You know she wears a two bit wig.

i call her twig

A lot of people don’t really understand just how powerful Studio One really is. It’s the only DAW you need for writing, recording, editing, performing, arranging, mixing, mastering, and publishing. I know of no other DAW that does it all, from start to finish. Studio One is the complete package. It has a lot of tools designed for songwriting, scoring, and performing live. There is good reason it is preferred by musicians and songwriters, in particular.

Every feature integrates into every other feature. For example, the Lyric Track interacts with the transport. Click a line in the lyric sheet, and the playback head jumps to that song position.

Mastering especially seems to get overlooked. Studio One’s Project page is actually a proper mastering software that does mastering right, the right way, for the right reasons. You master a whole album together as a package in the Project page, and you can jump back to the Song page to fix problems in the mix at the source, and then automatically update the song back in the Project Page, which is a much better way to go about it than trying to do it on the stereo mixdown. And mastering is actually geared towards targeting the requirements of the media and streaming services, rather than winning the loudness war.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I've left several times to learn other DAWs, but I keep coming back. The only thing I really dislike about it is the rudimentary interface. I much prefer the Cubase interface. Still, Studio One does what I want in a mostly painless process. I like the tutorial videos that come out regularly, and the hardware ecosystem. With some other DAWs I feel like it's an abusive or even cult-like relationship. I find my best work is done in S1, and that's what seals it for me. It's like using a gun. I've taken a ton of them to the range, but there's just one that I'm the most accurate with and it's the easiest to use, so I stick to it.
What sound do dreams make when they die?

Studio Gun
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”