How good are Hornet Plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Every once in a while, I stumble over the website with (many) Hornet plugins but the developer Saverio Vigni doesn't seem to appear here anymore and I cannot find a Hornet sub forum here either...

So a quick question: How good are his plugins, which ones do you use and which ones don't you like (anymore) and why and what do you use instead?

I like playing around with his stuff although I have yet to use any of them on a final mix. They tend to have bugs and can be heavy on the CPU but his plugins are cheap and interesting so I like them anyway. :)

The last one that I bought was HATEFISh RhyGenerator. It generates Euclidean rhythms in a nice, intuitive interface. It can be a great way to spark some ideas. This one had no bugs that I encountered. I can definitely recommend it.

The developer is more active on Gearslutz than here.

UAD still has Advantages, but nothing that compares to thirtyone as much as I know. It depends. But he's definitely worth supporting.

Sweq and Chorus from Time to Time. They're sweeter than some pricy Alternatives.

Fairly good in general. Some are great, some are so-so. It's all fairly inexpensive so overall I give the brand thumbs up.

I think the channel strip is good. Not my favorite compressors but good contenders, particularly if not using too much GR. Low CPU and clean if you disable the analog emulation. Gives you a unique grit with the analog on. So I think of it as nicely multi-flavored between the 3 compressors and the option of clean or grit.

Also 31 is IMO one of those plugins that should be at the top of must-have lists, when you talk about unique plugins that do something special worth looking into.

On the negative side, I really wanted to like the autogain rider but the CPU is brutal, and as much as I wanted depth in the controls I find them unwelcoming. The chord and beat detector feels so-so at best for me. Of their guitar pack, I don't think the pedal effects sound right, even making allowances for plugins not always sounding like the hardware.

Reliable tools for sure.

A few on my list:

- Total EQ (An underrated Gem imho)
- 31 EQ (Simple, yet very useful)
- VU Meter MK4 (Actually his best Autogain plug)
- SW34 EQ (Good & Sweet sounding EQ)

Also have the Delays and Tape which are all good, yet dont get too much use due to the available other options. The Stompboxes are also worth mentioning, the Chorus for example. Same goes for the freebies!

I would just Demo the ones which sound useful and also take a closer look at the Build Nr. - Which normally can mean, they are already more evolved and stable.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Total
Sw34
and Chorus

Here, too.

31 is quiet unique and the a Auto EQ delivers good Results.

Total is too cheap imO

GRUMP wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:44 pm
Total is too cheap imO
Which is the reason it is so criminally underrated. But I wrote a mail to Saverio complaining about this & he agreed to rise the tag to $69 which would be more adequate and people can spend a little more of their money for such an excellent product.

El°HYM wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:53 pm
Total is too cheap imO
Which is the reason it is so criminally underrated. But I wrote a mail to Saverio complaining about this & he agreed to rise the tag to $69 which would be more adequate and people can spend a little more of their money for such an excellent product.
That Pricing and his nearly weekly Sales ... he should really concider a Change. Yes. I use Total EQ from Time to Time for Things that Acustica Audio can´t do for me and I´m always again impressed by the smooth and silky musical Sound...

It is just a good sounding EQ yepp & I would indeed put it in that price tag area regarding the sound & features. So the real price is on his Site (of course) and when on Sale normally 40-60% below that. An underrated Gem, like I said. :wink:
Last edited by El°HYM on Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HoRNet 31 is very good. I used it (with a preset of mine, not with the factory preset) side by side with famous softwares like Gullfoss, Zynaptiq UnChirp, FabFilter Pro-Q3 and Melda MSpectralDynamics, combined with them, with very good results in making the middle range much clearer, and I found it to be in the same league as the others, honestly. The best HoRNet plug-in, for me.
The Spaces reverb is not good, though, probably accurate for scientific modelling of a perfectly rectangular reflective room, but not musical and with a lot of comb filtering sound (after all, nobody likes to use perfectly rectangular reflective rooms in the real life, for good reasons).
I like also AutoGain Pro (a rival of Melda MAutoVolume, but AutoGain Pro writes the automation data, which can be useful) and Harmonics (a rival of Melda MCharacter, and this time I prefer the latter).

XComposer wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:13 pm I like also AutoGain Pro (a rival of Melda MAutoVolume, but AutoGain Pro writes the automation data, which can be useful) and Harmonics (a rival of Melda MCharacter, and this time I prefer the latter).
Another feature of Melda MAutoVolume registered version, is the ability to batch level match a folder or group of files outside of the DAW, which is useful to compare different tracks without being fooled by the loudness. Melda also has a plug-in that level matches to the side-chain input, I supposed this could be used in a similar way to a gain rider.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That was just a Joke & TB EQ4 is surely exceptional. The Hornet Total EQ is like 27 Bucks minus the 40 - 60% Off on the usual Sales. And its much different to the EQ4, too.

I didn't realize that so many people like 31. I bought it when it first came out and was trying to mix with it for a few days. Then the developer realized there was a bug and the bug fix changed the sound! He did have a "Lucky" mode for backwards compatibility but he seriously needs to do beta testing.

The other issue I found with 31 is that it had an audible impact on the final level of the vocals although I liked what it did to the backing track. In the end, I didn't use it on the mix. Interestingly, 31 is built into his new MasterTool which is an automatic "mastering robot."

A general concern with Hornet is that he is approaching a Melda-volume of plugins with similar functionality. How do I figure out which is his best EQ or compressor? He keeps releasing new ones without moving older ones to a legacy page. I don't want to spend 3 hours trying to figure which Hornet plugin to download and try.

Vortifex wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:12 pm
El°HYM wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:53 pm
Total is too cheap imO
...which would make it more expensive than Toneboosters Equalizer 4, a higher quality plugin with lower CPU hit. Good job, I guess?
Haha that's funny because the Tonebooster Equalizer 4 is on my list of plugins I want to buy in the near future!

Are the other Tonebooster plugins great, too?

So far much more love for Hornet than I'd have expected. Especially for the 31 (Auto) Equalizer but also the (Auto)Gain plugins...
Last edited by Tricky-Loops on Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”