NI have announced they will no longer activate discontinued products

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ah_Dziz wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:08 pm If they decide to stop activating all the products I've paid them for they'll be receiving a notice from my attorney. I have over 300 products listed in NA and then more in my account. I won't be giving them up because these jerks can't be bothered to keep a server online. I don't think they have a decent understanding of howany people make their livelihood with these products.

I guess I'll be delving into regedit on my new install.
well, in the eula you (almost certainly) didnt read there are things that cover this kind of scenario. your attorney will happily spend a lot of billable hours on this for you, but im afraid nothing will come of it. this is what consumers get for letting devs walk all over them for 20+ years convincing them that they dont own the things they buy.

there are far easier workarounds for this than regedit.
ImageImageImage

Regedit works just fine.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

What a joke. Which is what NI has become. Idiotic practices like this only encourages people who pirate and hack.

Especially as they promised that they continue to authorize them after the initial announcement.
Now you know how honest this company is and why I strictly don't buy challenge response software anymore.
I am super happy since I moved to UVI. Very robust engine and superb libraries.
Just today I bought the gorgeous Ircam solo instruments 2 for the sales price and with my 40 eur loyalty coupon

And I am sure the usual fanboys will defend them nevertheless again

rasmusklump wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:22 pm Especially as they promised that they continue to authorize them after the initial announcement.
Now you know how honest this company is and why I strictly don't buy challenge response software anymore.
A "promise" from a corporation is worth nothing, not even as toilet paper. A contract is much more powerful. Sometimes you can convince a judge that a promise is really a contract. Can you find their original statement about this?
I hate signatures too.

Wait what? I thought they gave in and realized they shouldn't do this? Did i miss something? IIRC there was a NI rep who confirmed that. What's going on? I planned to install my old NI plugins in the near future so i can open my old projects again. Is this going to be impossible now?
Last edited by mi-os on Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mi-os wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:56 pm Wait what? I thought they gave in and realized they shouldn't do this? Did i miss something? IIRC there was a NI rep who confirmed that. What's going on? I planned to install my old NI plugins in the near future so i can open my old projects again. Is going to be impossible now?
iirc, some, arent able to be, for some technical reasons (old software, i honestly dont understand so wont try to explain) but others are fine.
cant remember which, but its mainly the really old stuff.

Is there a full list which plugins got axed somewhere?

What a nightmare!
Last edited by mi-os on Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

youd have to check the ni forum i think?
unless someone saved a link?

rasmusklump wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:22 pm Now you know how honest this company is and why I strictly don't buy challenge response software anymore.
I am super happy since I moved to UVI. Very robust engine and superb libraries.
You're aware iLok is fundamentally challenge-response? I use and love iLok but Pace's servers are required for authorization. Personally, I believe Pace will exist longer than some of the developers that use iLok so I'm not particularly worried about that aspect. And yes, defunct developer products will still get authorized even if the plugin itself can't be installed.

A lot of software is challenge-response under the hood. Anything that has you log in to an account in the plugin. Some will auto-reauth if the auth is on an expiration period. Some that ask only for a serial still validate it against the cloud. If you firewall your DAW or isolate your workstation from as network it becomes apparent very quickly.

Very few are locally authorized. There's a thread about it somewhere on here. u-He, Plogue, 2C Audio, off the top of my head, will auth locally.

Last edited by mi-os on Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I wonder how Battery 3 and Kontakt 4/5 can be installed and activated. I don't see them in NA.

Those products are very old though, 2003, 2004... I think they should give away those for free. They are not supported anymore, nobody wants them and they don't make money, so why not ? Are NI too busy making bamboo Kontakt libraries ?

One thing is clear to me. We shouldn't allow them to get away with it. There is something fundamentally wrong with this situation.

(if you think NI withholding our licences/activations is ok/expected/whatever, please go elsewhere, we have a legitimate case here)

Return to “Instruments”