The Big Guitar Amp Sim Roundup + Review

Interactive, forum-based, in-depth reviews, tips, tutorials and more.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Amplifikation Caliburn AmpliTube 4 Axiom GrindMachine Guitar Rig Pro Helix Native S-Gear TH-U Premium Trash 2

I'd also try Mercuriall's free offerings, especially the Harlequin amp.
https://mercuriall.com/cms/details_freestuff

Radical_Cleftist wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:41 pm I've been using the UAD Fender '55 Tweed sim a lot lately, and I think it's fantastic. I've played a real 50s Tweed Deluxe in a studio situation, and I'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference in a mix. I also use the Suhr PT-100 sim (also UAD), which is really, really nice. There are a ton of useful cabinet/IR options curated by Pete Thorn. There are notes/specs for each IR detailing the mics and mic pres used (BAE 1073, mostly) to capture them.
:tu: :tu: I agree on both! Getting some sweet sounds from the UAD Suhr PT-100 in a Unison slot in Console, and also have/ like the PA version when mixing and looking to stay native in LPX.

UAD Fender Tweed is also nice. Due to it’s higher DSP demand, I often need to use it in an Aux in Console if using other effects in the insert slots (or attach a UAD satellite quad if not too lazy). :)

rasmusklump wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:59 pm +1 for the UAD Fender. This is a wonderful one and together with the Capitol Chambers the only reason for me to get an uad2

That and Softube amproom. I like that one as well.
I also like CC for “that sound”, especially if looking for more plate or heavy reflections. I use UAD Ocean Way a lot, too, which really helps to just add some real room or even hall sound.

I just got ST amp room (new version, had older one for a while), so just getting into it more recently. So far, liking the optional Marshall cabs. I just got the native versions of Plexi SL and Bluesbreaker, mostly to use in amp room, and the Celestion Speaker Shaper that really opens up sound options in amp room. I have had all four UAD versions of the Softube Marshall amp sims for a while so was a fan already. :tu: I also like how the Celestion speaker packs enhance Positive Grid.

Note: New to KVR. I read some prior pages here but not all so apologies if this is repetitive or already covered previously. :)

I am liking several Nembrini Audio amp sims. I saw only a few posts here on them. As many know, Igor Nembrini was a developer for several PA amp sims including some earlier UAD Brainworx versions before starting Nembrini Audio in 2019.

I started using their Acoustic Voice Guitar Preamp recently for DI/piezo pickups on acoustic guitars (along with a UAD plugin effects chain). Given that DI on acoustic guitars versus mic-ing sounds different, and especially when it’s the only option or to double track and use in parallel, I was pleasantly surprised at what it can do. Previously, I was using UAD Sound Machine Wood Works with several UAD comp/effects plugins and Ocean Way in such instances (or the plugins without UAD SMWW). Acoustic Voice adds additional tonal options, though.

I have two other NA amp sims so far that I also like. The MRH159 Brown Sound is modeled on Van Halen’s modded Marshall Plexi Super Lead with the JBL / Celestion cab, and includes the variac effect. The Voice DC30 Custom Valve (modeled on the VOX AC30 Top Boost Reverb) is nice for that Brit amp sound.

Nembrini Audio amp sims also include IR loaders for up to 3 impulse responses to use other cab IR libraries. Also, NA has several free rack and pedal effects that are very nice, along with the free CRUNCK amp sim.

I'm demoing Neural DSP Gojira and impressed so far. AGIGA mentioned earlier that Neural stuff cuts through mixes well, and this one does.

I'm not good at dialling in my own sounds, more of a preset surfer and then tweak. I like to attempt 're-makes' of symphonic metal songs and I've had better luck with harsher rhythm tones with this one so far. I can never quite get the right sound with Guitar Rig but that might just be my own lack of knowledge, rather than any shortcoming with GR.

I have the Cory Wong one too, also has some great clean sounds.

I think the Neural stuff fits well if you're looking for a particular kind of sound out of the box. In comparison Guitar Rig has a lot more sonic options in one product - many styles and characters supported - obviously more value in that sense. But you'll need to do your own work to dial a particular sound.

I'm just getting started trying a lot of the Neural DSP plugins. I'm more into the clean and medium-gain options, which are not really their focus. I'm surprised at how much low end is captured in the IRs. I guess this is the nature of close-mic'ing guitars, but these are pretty far from mix-ready. I found most models need a pretty big cut below 120hz, otherwise they're swimming in bass.

Others have the same experiences?

I own a bunch of Neural plugins. In order, I bought: Nolly, Plini, Cali, Omega, Wong, and Gojira. Yeah I went a bit bananas, it was the pandemic, I have a young child and can't play with a real amp anymore, I got excited. In retrospect I could live with just the Nolly. Cali and Plini are my other favorites, and I don't like the Omega. I wish I got Nameless instead of Omega.

I used the stock IRs for a long time but have recently found that York Audio are by far the most acclaimed IRs you can get, so I've been testing their free IR and its way better than the stock IRs in Nolly.

I got the Nembrini BG Ecstasy when it came out for iOS to mess around on my iPad, and it sounds great.

he stock IRs for a long time but have recently found that York Audio are by far the most acclaimed IRs you can get, so I've been testing their free IR and its way better than the stock IRs in Nolly.

I got the Nembrini BG Ecstasy when it came out for iOS to mess around on my iPad, and it sounds great.

Anyone using Audio Assault stuff? I recently picked up their Bogner Shiva and VHT Pittbull sims and they sound and feel very good without a lot of tweeking. Not sure if Audio Assault is a new company, I've never heard of them before and never see them mentioned on the forums but I'm honestly impressed with what I've tried of theirs.

Recourt wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:51 pm Anyone using Audio Assault stuff? I recently picked up their Bogner Shiva and VHT Pittbull sims and they sound and feel very good without a lot of tweeking. Not sure if Audio Assault is a new company, I've never heard of them before and never see them mentioned on the forums but I'm honestly impressed with what I've tried of theirs.
I don't think they are new to the scene, I also like their transient offerings.

The Noodlist wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:42 pm
Recourt wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:51 pm Anyone using Audio Assault stuff? I recently picked up their Bogner Shiva and VHT Pittbull sims and they sound and feel very good without a lot of tweeking. Not sure if Audio Assault is a new company, I've never heard of them before and never see them mentioned on the forums but I'm honestly impressed with what I've tried of theirs.
I don't think they are new to the scene, I also like their transient offerings.
Definitely they have been around a while, a bit of a rough go at the start with some buggy releases,
but they are much better these days I believe. I never tried the guitar stuff though, not to mention
their pricing is minimal as it is, and they tend to put everything on sale for $9 or something. :tu:

I always liked Brainworx, Kazrog and Kuassa for amp sims, the mercurial stuff as well. I have one of the neural plugins, the Fortin Nameless I think it was, never bought any others, too cpu intensive for my taste, though It's been sometime since I tried them. CPU was always a deciding factor for me as I like to play along to stuff.

Over the years some that I have abandoned after spending much money on: Guitar Rig, Amplitude, Vandal etc. Though these days it's pretty much all of them after finally ponying up for a high-quality tube amp as none of them can really compare to it imo. :shrug:

*Interestingly, if I add up all the money I've spent on amp sims over the years, it exceeds the cost
of the amp by a lot, and the amp was not cheap. :shrug:

nice!

In order to compare actual results of tube-amp vs software, there are two arenas to compete in, live play, and recordings. For live play, run the software output into a clean power amp, feeding speakers that don't color the sound. The tube-amp will depend greatly on the room and acoustics, so a fair comparison will rely on configuring software to the specs of the room the tube-amp is played in. Conversely, software will provide myriad rooms, amps, and effects, with which the tube amp can't compete, because it was never designed for such a task.

For recordings, most tube-amps will need mics in a treated room, and again, configure competing software to closely match that environment.

There is a third competitor of course, the range of wonderfully modeled hardware. In truly triple-blind tests, with an unbiased player, which is rare, there won't be clearly defined 'winners'.

It is also a factor, that those using software and modelers, don't often need to buy
clean poweramps and color-free speakers, as the offerings are good enough for many purposes. So there won't be many experience based real-world comparisons, with fewer as time and tech press on. There are excellent tube-amps sharing a cab with modeled sounds, with software still accesible, so choices abound for many varied budgets.

Tube-amps offer a great immediate experience in a limited range. But we are playing in an 'all and more' era, where a plethora of options is growing daily. A skilled musician can pick and choose, practice like mad for a few months, and pick and choose again, from a wider range of options. :hyper:

glokraw wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:18 pm For recordings, most tube-amps will need mics in a treated room, and again, configure competing software to closely match that environment.
But that's also the big problem with tube amps, right? The amp, cab, and room is baked into the recording.

The VST allows for practically unlimited adjustment of the guitar sound post recording when recording individual instrument tracks

My guess is there will be a lot of people who get used to VST amps and IR cabs, with the room strictly provided by reverb effect, who realize they don't want to give up the creative choice of finalizing those choices during arrangement of the mix.

Return to “KVR Experts”