Overestimated synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote: There is a famous case about this regarding resynthesis of some works by the Beatles. It was ruled that resynthesis is just an elaborate copying method and, consequently, clearance is still necessary.
Resynthesis or someone replaying a piece of music to sound as close to the original as possible? I have heard of court cases of the later but never the former.

Frantz wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: There is a famous case about this regarding resynthesis of some works by the Beatles. It was ruled that resynthesis is just an elaborate copying method and, consequently, clearance is still necessary.
Resynthesis or someone replaying a piece of music to sound as close to the original as possible? I have heard of court cases of the later but never the former.

Definitely resynthesis, I'll see if I can find a reference.

On Edit: Hmm, what I'm thinking of may have been slightly different. It was Bluebeat who "claimed" to have reproduced works through "psychoacoustic simulation", which, at the time I recall someone else reporting this as resynthesis. In any case, what's not clear is whether the works were actually resynthesized, or this was just a scam. In any case, no which it was, the judge definitely was not buying the idea of "re-simulating" being any different than copying.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20101 ... ghts.shtml

Just in case anyone is still in doubt, here are Yamaha's words about filters and FM in reference to the SY-77:
As we have seen, the modulator level of an FM tone
generator could essentially mimic the behavior of an
LPF’s cutoff frequency; however, the SY77 was designed
such that this tone generator’s output would also pass
through the AWM2 engine’s filter section. This meant that
the FM sounds could now be easily sculpted using a real
filter, and this was arguably one of the most noteworthy
features of the third generation.
For those that aren't keeping up, the SY-77 came out before the 80s were even over. Even their newest flagship synth with its eight operators and special resonant forms STILL feeds the output through the AWM filters.

http://www.easysounds.eu/MusicProductio ... _03_EN.pdf

Return to “Instruments”