Project Time Again - Goth Metal (Within Temptation)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No clue. Biggest question is how to get that chugging deep guitar sound out of a VST. I have the top guitar libraries and Guitar Rig 5 from NI. But I have no idea where to even begin to get that sound. The rest of it (pianos, strings, choir, etc.) I have at least some idea but could use all the help I can get there as well.

Here's a perfect example of what I'm trying to do, all ITB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXrzSTtFOaw

I will accept any suggestions, tips, or whatever that anybody is willing to share on what I need to do to get this sound.

Thanks.

I listened to all of your Soundcloud 'rock' songs and I was very impressed with your writing abilities. Far surpassing the production depth. Although mostly simple, it's clear you know what your doing and I enjoyed all the songs.

From that, I couldn't help but wonder how well you might be able to write and perform English New Wave (specifically Synth Pop ). I would guess you would be a natural for it going by those rock songs.

If you still settle with 'Metal', my Yamaha synth, and maybe other HW synths have a distorted shredder guitar patch. Perfect for doing Van Hallen type solos. ( just remembered I have a VSTi synth that does that...let you know the name later.)
And there is also a VSTi from yrs ago which does a great chomping Machine Metal type chord. Forget the name for the moment...let you know later.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

wagtunes wrote:No clue. Biggest question is how to get that chugging deep guitar sound out of a VST. I have the top guitar libraries and Guitar Rig 5 from NI. But I have no idea where to even begin to get that sound.
You wont get that sound out of vst. It's simply not possible.I know, I'm a guitarist. Real guitar(and bass) is the only way to go for that. You can get good enough though. It's the same with drum plugins. It takes a drummer to know and think like a drummer.

Never tried this. Heard the demo mp3s, sounds worth a try;
Shreddage I
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/shredd ... soundworks
And Shreddage II
Slayer (no longer available) Does chords like 'Shreddage' can do.
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/slayer-by-refx
Last edited by annode on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annode wrote:Never tried this. Heard the demo mp3s, sounds worth a try;
Shreddage I
And Shreddage II
Thanks. Shreddage 2 sounds like it will be, as Daimonicon says, good enough. Was hoping for production tips rather than having to get yet another guitar library (I have the Real series and Vir 2 Electri6ity) but if this is what I need to pull this off, oh well. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet. It does sound very good to me and, hopefully, with the right processing on the mix, it'll be adequate enough to get the idea across somewhat convincingly.

annode wrote:I listened to all of your Soundcloud 'rock' songs and I was very impressed with your writing abilities. Far surpassing the production depth. Although mostly simple, it's clear you know what your doing and I enjoyed all the songs.

From that, I couldn't help but wonder how well you might be able to write and perform English New Wave (specifically Synth Pop ). I would guess you would be a natural for it going by those rock songs.

If you still settle with 'Metal', my Yamaha synth, and maybe other HW synths have a distorted shredder guitar patch. Perfect for doing Van Hallen type solos. ( just remembered I have a VSTi synth that does that...let you know the name later.)
And there is also a VSTi from yrs ago which does a great chomping Machine Metal type chord. Forget the name for the moment...let you know later.
I'm actually doing an 80s Synth Pop project right now and have 23 songs already posted.

Production tips:
High gain amp, but keep the gain around the 50-70% mark.
Don't boost the bass, boost the middle.
Use a palm mute setting or use velocity (Shreddage can do this, but I imagine the other VSTis can too).
Make sure that there is a distinct gap between the notes ie no legato.
Power chords only - root/5th/root an octave higher.
The bass guitar line should match the rhythm chugging. It's this that provides the bottom end.
Little or no reberb. Or reverb!
Rhythm doubled up and panned hard left and right. Use different amp sims, too.
That should get you started.
Good luck, and have fun!
Last edited by Googly Smythe on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Googly Smythe wrote:Production tips:
Use a palm mute setting or use velocity (Shreddage can do this, but I imagine the other VSTis can too).
The bass guitar line should match the rhythm chugging. It's this that provides the bottom end.
Little or no reberb.
Good luck, and have fun!
That actually sounds very easy.

wagtunes wrote:
Little or no reberb.
Good luck, and have fun!
It is. Coming up with an original riff, that's another story!

Googly Smythe wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Little or no reberb.
Good luck, and have fun!
It is. Coming up with an original riff, that's another story!
Goth metal is like breathing for me. And as long as I've been writing music (40 years) I'll come up with something. I was just concerned with getting the sound right.

"Making your own"
Power chords = lowest note 5th under the root.
Make power chords a 4 note single key sample mapped across keyboard. You can get that chopping effect this way. Sample an Amaj w/5th on bottom and throw it in your sample player.
Find an effect chain that gives you the right sounds.

Shreddage in my opinion is the closest you'll get to a good heavy guitar sound with a plugin. From everything I heard so far. I play a 7 strings Explorer and own a Mesa boogie Tri-Axis and a 5150. I've recorded Krankenstein also that IMO is one of the easiest amps to get this type of chugging out of. The type of sound for those guitars is know as: Scooped. It's basically a smile EQ curve or V shaped EQ. Ramstein has it very good, Nightwish and Crematory also comes to mind. So if you can find some of those emulation it will certainly be close to the sound your looking for.

I guess you want to play the sounds yourself or else there are some great loops you can get your hands on.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

This is something I did a while ago under another name. I know it's way too long to listen to all the way through, but at around the 1:10 mark is a chugging rhythm guitar, using the techniques I described, and at around 5:45 is a solo. All the guitars in this track are made with Shreddage 2, one mouse-click at a time. :)

That Night

EDIT:
And yes, I can used to play guitar - age and arthritis prevent.
Last edited by Googly Smythe on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Googly Smythe wrote:This is something I did a while ago under another name. I know it's way too long to listen to all the way through, but at around the 1:10 mark is a chugging rhythm guitar, using the techniques I described, and at around 5:45 is a solo. All the guitars in this track are made with Shreddage 2, one mouse-click at a time. :)

That Night

EDIT:
And yes, I can play guitar - age and arthritis prevent.
Okay, heard the chugging guitar. It seems to be missing the real low end of the example I posted. Now, is that just the bass playing along with it as somebody else here pointed out? If so, yeah, I think this might do the trick.

wagtunes wrote:
Googly Smythe wrote:This is something I did a while ago under another name. I know it's way too long to listen to all the way through, but at around the 1:10 mark is a chugging rhythm guitar, using the techniques I described, and at around 5:45 is a solo. All the guitars in this track are made with Shreddage 2, one mouse-click at a time. :)

That Night

EDIT:
And yes, I can play guitar - age and arthritis prevent.
Okay, heard the chugging guitar. It seems to be missing the real low end of the example I posted. Now, is that just the bass playing along with it as somebody else here pointed out? If so, yeah, I think this might do the trick.
The key is on the high side because I had to match key of the vocal samples. But it's the bass that provides the real low-end. Shreddage 2 does use a 7-string, so can go quite low.

Return to “Production Techniques”