Studio One 3, new-ish Macs, and pathetic CPU behavior - is it just me ??

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

incubus wrote:Nope, not just you. And nope, doesn't have to be mac.

That will be my one post.
And that's probably all that needs saying, really.

Too bad about Studio One and its ongoing issues with CPU. I was really liking S1 and tried hard to stay with it. Never had crackles and pops at any good realistically pro setting while using a good-quality PC, but watching the CPU spiking constantly when viewing the little consumption-per-track window was always really annoying and made me question the overall construction of this DAW. I finally moved onto Samplitude Pro X Suite and have never been happier with any DAW. I very soon understood that Samp is what DAWs like S1 and Reaper are trying so hard to BE, but they always fall short in various places.

Really did initially like S1, though, and how fast it was being improved. It just never quite 'got there' to my thinking.

Studio One Support just closed my ticket regarding this issue (I'm the OP) and marked it as "SOLVED"...... despite the fact that after three weeks of back and forth, nothing their tech support suggested worked, and exactly ZERO progress has been made in resolving it.

Bravo, Presonus tech support, bravo.

:dog: :dog: :dog:

Christ half the point of S1 existing was to get away from Steinberg's odious history of customer treatment, and yet all they're really doing is replicating it all over again....

it's a GREAT daw in so, so many ways.... but this is some unforgivable bullshit. Denying a problem won't make it go away, but apparently they haven't learned this lesson.

mholloway wrote:Studio One Support just closed my ticket regarding this issue (I'm the OP) and marked it as "SOLVED"...... despite the fact that after three weeks of back and forth, nothing their tech support suggested worked, and exactly ZERO progress has been made in resolving it.

Christ half the point of S1 existing was to get away from Steinberg's odious history of customer treatment, and yet all they're really doing is replicating it all over again....

it's a GREAT daw in so, so many ways.... but this is some unforgivable bullshit. Denying a problem won't make it go away, but apparently they haven't learned this lesson.
You know... there is a chance that it is solved and there will be an update coming out for it.

Though I must say, Steinberg's support has been great in the last couple years.

Robert Randolph wrote:
mholloway wrote:Studio One Support just closed my ticket regarding this issue (I'm the OP) and marked it as "SOLVED"...... despite the fact that after three weeks of back and forth, nothing their tech support suggested worked, and exactly ZERO progress has been made in resolving it.

You know... there is a chance that it is solved and there will be an update coming out for it.
You're joking, right? Your theory here is that they solved my tech support ticket, but didn't tell me, cut off communication with me, closed the ticket so I couldn't respond further -- but will post the "fix" in the next update?

You can't possibly be serious that you think that's what's going on here, can you...?!

mholloway wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:

You're joking, right? Your theory here is that they solved my tech support ticket, but didn't tell me, cut off communication with me, closed the ticket so I couldn't respond further -- but will post the "fix" in the next update?

You can't possibly be serious that you think that's what's going on here, can you...?!
They have done this exact thing to me twice now, so yes it is possible.

Is it likely, probably not, but it is definitely inline with past behaviour.

tunafish88 wrote:I'm not trying to hijack the thread but the CPU spiking happens under Windows as well. I can't play a single piano library VSTi at 44.1k 64ms without spiking and ultimately crackling. And it happens with all of my piano libraries, Ivory, Ravenscroft 275, Pianoteq, Acoustic Samples etc. Some are a little more forgiving than others but ultimately all exhibit crackling and CPU spikes. No such problems under Reaper, Sonar or Protools. I can play all day long at 44.1k 64ms with a round trip latency of 5.2ms using my MOTU Ultalite AVB. My computer is fully optimized for DAW work.
So I just tried this out with Ravenscroft 275 (my favorite piano by far). The TLDR version is: try closing the UVI Workstation UI and see if you still get glitching, as that seems to cause the glitching on my PC. Below are the steps I followed to come to this conclusion:

1. Set my RME Fireface 800 to 64 samples
2. Loaded Studio One
3. Loaded UVI Workstation -> Ravenscroft 275 with the side microphones on and began playing

Result: regular glitches. Exited Studio One.

4. Loaded Reaper, and did the same.

Result: no glitches. Noticed however, that the GUI was not open in Reaper when I was playing.

5. Went back to Studio One and loaded UVI Workstation -> Ravenscroft 275 but this time closed the GUI

Result: no glitches in Studio One either.

6. Went back to Reaper loaded UVI Workstation -> Ravenscroft 275, kept the UI open

Result: glitches in Reaper this time.

So at least on my machine (you may want to check yours), the glitching isn't caused by the Studio One over Reaper, it has more to do with the UVI GUI being open. The Windows performance monitor did show Studio One using 1% more CPU than Reaper (5% in S1 vs. 4% in Reaper). That's the only CPU performance meter that counts because Reaper and S1 measure their internal performance meters very differently. The important thing here however is the lack of glitching with the UVI GUI closed.

Note: the above is on a Windows 10 x64 system, with an Intel i7 4790k and 16GB RAM, so no slouch of a system at all.

Dupe
Last edited by tunafish88 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Studio One v3 actually outperforms Cubase on my MacBook Pro. Crazy.

In other news, I installed the 3.3.3 update and now Studio One can't seem to locate a number of plugin alliance plugins in existing projects, like bx_digital v3, along with bx_Saturator v2, and SPL Transient Designer plus, and SPL TwinTube.

It appears the affected plugins are all vst3.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

I'm demoing it, so far it looks like it performs much better than Cubase on my MB Pro. 7.1, 2.66 core 2 duo', 8 GB. OSX 10.11.6. The performance meter doesn't move just from clicking on tracks.

It stops the audio engine just from closing the computer (or opening it again?), stating an overload.

jancivil wrote:I'm demoing it, so far it looks like it performs much better than Cubase on my MB Pro. 7.1, 2.66 core 2 duo', 8 GB. OSX 10.11.6. The performance meter doesn't move just from clicking on tracks.
What's your block size set to in the Prefs for the audio?

This issue gets massively worse the smaller the Block size, and doesn't appear for very large block sizes. So without knowing that, hard to say for sure if you're an exception to the rule or not :)

-M

well, when I posted, 512. Now, 128, same performance, I'm not having any breakage.
we'll see when I get a really loaded project going.

mholloway wrote:So I have a 2015 MBP and a 2016 iMac.

I use Ableton Live regularly on both without any CPU issues, including building my massive, plugin-intensive industrial songs and other projects.

Ok. I also have Studio One V. 3 installed on both systems. And it's not good.

The main problem (though there are others, but I'll stick to one issue for now!), which occurs on BOTH computers: just clicking on a track, any track, makes the CPU meter jump up. Even in an empty session, even with the audio interface (komplete audio) disconnected. In a session with a bunch of stuff, the spikes just from clicking on tracks go way up, as much as 25-40%, and can cause an overload.

I've been in a back and forth with Presonus tech support for three weeks. They had me try a few things, none of which changed anything. Yesterday, the tech guy (who writes to me about every 3 or 4 days, fwiw) said:

"I can't replicate this on my Mac and nobody else but you is reporting this problem." He had no further advice or troubleshooting to provide, and I haven't heard from him since.

So essentially Presonus tech support is telling me: As far as we are concerned this problem doesn't exist, except for you, so uh, too bad for you.

Except this behavior is IDENTICAL on TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SYSTEMS.

There's just no way that's coincidence. Which is why I'm here, describing the problem, to ask if any Mac users out there running S1V3 (current version) on 2015 or later macs (and yes of course I have 16gig RAM, 4ghz i7 processor) are seeing this behavior.

So, Mac and Studio 1 people:

1. what Block Size do you use?
2. do you get CPU spikes when clicking on tracks? In an empty session? In a song-in-progess session?

The smaller the block size, the worse the spikes are. The higher the block size, they start to go away (but this is at sizes with huge latency where recording would be impossible). So clearly the spikes correspond with the general CPU usage as well. But given that I'm talking about EMPTY sessions here, this isn't a case of me running to much stuff, etc.

Please let me know your experience, thank you. It's not fun being given up on by a company's tech support!

-Michael
Hello there Michael. My friend has exactly the same pain, so that's three computers.
In fact, I was considering switching to a mac, but as a studio one user, she literally warned me not to. After seeing how well it performs on windows for me, I think she'll be coming over to this side!
We did some investigating, and indeed it seems that windows is the much better platform for this particular DAW. If it's not possible for you to consider windows, I might suggest changing daw. Although new to the computer music scene, I have quickly learned that the one thing you have to be happy with is your DAW. Working analog for so many years, the most important thing to me was to be happy with the mixing console.
Windows 10 Pro|Intel 9960X @ 4.4 GHZ|128GB Corsair|16TB SSD|AMD 5700XT|Gigabyte Designare|Avid HDX x2|Antelope Orion 32HD x2|Pro Tools 2019.12

:lol:

Yeah, "solved" and they have a fix coming. Positive thinking only goes so far in the real world.

Oh well, glad I ditched it. Oh, amazing times. :hihi:

A small X-Mas gift (for those still using it anyway), a script package that adds some clip selection functions.

clipselection.package

Put it in your Program Files\...\Studio One\scripts folder on Win or similar on OSX and restart to see the functions below at the top of the Event menu.

[/Off Topic]

tunafish88 wrote:I'm not trying to hijack the thread but the CPU spiking happens under Windows as well. I can't play a single piano library VSTi at 44.1k 64ms without spiking and ultimately crackling. And it happens with all of my piano libraries, Ivory, Ravenscroft 275, Pianoteq, Acoustic Samples etc. Some are a little more forgiving than others but ultimately all exhibit crackling and CPU spikes. No such problems under Reaper, Sonar or Protools. I can play all day long at 44.1k 64ms with a round trip latency of 5.2ms using my MOTU Ultalite AVB. My computer is fully optimized for DAW work.
The problem is Studio One. At this point despite being with Presonus Studio One since v1 I've about given up. My system is Intel Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H, Intel 4790K 4.0 GHZ,16G Corsair Vengeance 2133 Memory and Windows 10 Professional OS and VSTi are on Samsung SSD drives.
exactly what happens to me as well.
no spikes with any other daw
everything is smooth but studio one is not (spikes)
Studio one was my best choice after demoing cubase,protools,reaper,FL studio,sonar,samplitude,etc...
please fix the cpu issues on studio one
a lot of people working with vst plugins like me
i use desktop bias,ez drummer, and i also gonna use a piano plugin in the futere to make some music
sadly i cannot use studio one because of spikes and crackles.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”