So, anyone still using Novation V-Station?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
V-Station

I think it might be the curvature of the envelope stages, and yeah it's quite possible that attack time doesn't go below 2-3 milliseconds or so...

By the way, I just noticed that they released v2.5 which fixes the issue with bipolar knobs when dragging them via mouse (they had strange acceleration thing going on). However I also noticed that voice/MIDI LEDs on bottom left of the GUI aren't working any longer at all (was the case in v2.4, but perhaps even earlier versions too?)... So I reported that. :)

Oh wow, didn't notice there was a new version, nice. 15 years, and still going. :)

Really liked it until a couple years I started noticing the quack sound on the filter when no EG is in place.

Then I also noticed the filter cutoff did not follow glide (not a crime as such) and it ticked me off a bit.

It's still a very quick and effective 3 osc synth with great qualities nonetheless the supersaw you can get is really gritty.

Gosh, I love it for making squeaky sounds and trancy sounds for kid songs! It's amazing for that hard-core telletubbies dance-core! Worth every dollar I didn't pay for it! :hihi:

But I had to retire it due to Legend, Repro and TAL-Sampler being "slightly" better sounding. :lol:

It's 2018. Not 2008. Sorry, Novation. And your "hardware" doesn't sound much better, either.

p.s. no wonder they made it almost freeware... :lol:

p.s.2 that doesn't mean it so bad you can't make a decent tune with it, though. And that's what the world needs right now. No strippers, just music.
Last edited by DuX on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I think it's awesome. Just because something is old doesn't make it bad.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote:I think it's awesome. Just because something is old doesn't make it bad.
The sound of VSTis from the early 2000's is old in comparison to the new ones. Sorry. I'm usually the first to jump onto the defending the "old ways", but VSTis are still maturing.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I like it too. For some distorted leads and basses, it has an absolutely unique sound I can spot in other tracks. If they did some significant sound engine/features update to it, I'd be extremely interested.
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Seems that there's this attitude that if a synth isn't the latest greatest that it somehow loses its legitimacy as a viable instrument. It's kind of like saying is anyone still using a Fender Telecaster? Prince used a Hohner "Tele" knock off for his entire career. He obviously could have had any guitar he wanted and he did. I feel it's not just the instrument but the player. If you can get the sound you want from one or two oscillators why feel like you have to get a synth with six and a load of bells and whistles just because it's the rage? OK I'm done now KVR feel free to trounce me for having an opinion. :D
"Everything we hear is an opinion,not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective,not the truth." _ Marcus Aurelius

Karma_tba wrote:Seems that there's this attitude that if a synth isn't the latest greatest that it somehow loses its legitimacy as a viable instrument. It's kind of like saying is anyone still using a Fender Telecaster? Prince used a Hohner "Tele" knock off for his entire career. He obviously could have had any guitar he wanted and he did. I feel it's not just the instrument but the player. If you can get the sound you want from one or two oscillators why feel like you have to get a synth with six and a load of bells and whistles just because it's the rage? OK I'm done now KVR feel free to trounce me for having an opinion. :D
I totally agree. Just like you can get inspiration to write a great song from a cheap Casio keyboard, Harmony acoustic guitar or old junky out-of-tune spinet piano.

For a while I worked as a professional bassist & soundman. On the bass forums there would always be threads like "how do I get the best reggae bass tone" with zillions of answers saying "you need this bass, these strings, these effects, and this amp." Then I'd go do sound at a world music festival where there were extremely talented bands from 3rd-world countries making amazing music. The bassist would be playing some cheap Yamaha or Ibanez they probably got from a catalog plugged into a direct box and random rental amp, and they would get THAT REGGAE TONE. Always sounded great.

There's also a whole bunch of people here who believe more features = automatically better.

Well, soft synths surely have come a long way since the V-Station, especially the filters. Nonetheless i like the sound of the old stuff. And i think that character is a lot more important than the latest ZDF filter tech, and extreme aliasing free oscillators.

DuX wrote:And your "hardware" doesn't sound much better, either.
LOL. Ultranova sounds great, but Peak sounds absolutely phenomenal. You're deaf if you can't hear that :)

Yes I had the attack issue as well, I had to lengthen it to stop the clicking and odd behaviour.

DuX wrote:
ATS wrote:I think it's awesome. Just because something is old doesn't make it bad.
The sound of VSTis from the early 2000's is old in comparison to the new ones. Sorry. I'm usually the first to jump onto the defending the "old ways", but VSTis are still maturing.
I am installing VST 2.4 today :) I am making a retro style track and
I need some V-Station in it now I think. It made the cut, simple sound but nice and rich.

EvilDragon wrote:
DuX wrote:And your "hardware" doesn't sound much better, either.
LOL. Ultranova sounds great, but Peak sounds absolutely phenomenal. You're deaf if you can't hear that :)
Well, it must come down to taste, then. :D I never really liked Novation synths, nor Clavia, or Virus, for that matter. A blasphemy, I know. :lol:

I did kinda like Supernova and Supernova II, though. Those are good workhorse synths. :tu:

It’s a secret weapon. It’s got that 90s VA sound. It can cover similar ground to the JP8000, Access Virus and MS2000.

The secret is that Vstation sounds very musical when stacked up in a multitrack mix. And you don’t have to rip your hair off to get a good mix balance.

It could do with new features, bug fixes, new patches and an enhanced GUI. But the sound is good.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Instruments”