So, anyone still using Novation V-Station?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
V-Station

chk071 wrote:Just found this. :hihi: archive/instruments/2004-07/49104.php
Ouch, what a thread :o

Compared to the first reply there all "vs" threads I've seen on KVR appear to be very polite and friendly.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

:lol:

Software snobs are rare, but they exist. :P

I still use it mostly for bass.
It does a great job with old school, Moog style fat basses.
Tasty bass....

Dear old BONES, telling it how it is :hihi:

Wow, Bones was an angry fellow back then :)

Yeah, I don't know... maybe it was the technology of that moment, or something in the hardware version, but they sounded different. Mind you, I LOVE the Novation sound, I own a Xio and planning on getting a Mini (would love a K, but they're as rare as a hen's teeth around here...same goes for Indigo). Anyway. On my PC V-Station sounds really weak on its own and doesn't blend well with my other VSTs. Granted, I'm usually into very aggressive sounds so maybe it's just me & my taste...
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

I loaded this up today, albeit not in the track I was working on. I had to make a new Cubase project just to load the VST3 version, this VST3 plug in crashes Cubase every time in this song. Now I am kind of hoping the installer has both VST3 and a VST 2.4 .dll so I can try the VST2 version if it exists. It sounds quite good and would suit what I am currently after texturally. I first saw it written about in 2005 so must have been released around then. And it does have something. It may well not be the most flexible synth with limited envelopes etc.

The V-Station seem to do bass rather well from that first preset and a little filtering on it.

I hope I can get it installed and working ok.

The VST3 is pretty broken, as far as i have experienced. There are many things which don't work.

Ok thanks. Do you know if it has a VST2.x version ? I am not on my machine till tomorrow now and don't want to run the install on this internet pc.

I have version 2.3 installed, and had the choice to install both VST2 and VST3 (and some other formats i can't remember now), so, yep, it should install the VST2 as well.

Many thanks, this should sort the troubles out. :tu: Something nice about that filter overdrive, just a tad and it sounds pretty tasty.

I always liked it. Due to the very limited amount of voices (8), and with some better featured, and sounding alternatives, i hardly use it anymore though. Bit of a shame, but, you know how it is... at some point, you simply move on.

Pretty easy to expand the polyphony with a bit of MIDI processing and multiple instances, though... :)

My concern is it looks a bit short on envelopes these days, I prefer envelopes as they seem more controllable than LFO for many sonic duties as a mod source. I wanted at least filter and pitch and then your done. It has a character I quite like, enough to sound like something slightly different.

I am using external effects processors as a rule. Apart from a couple of VSTi synths it's the only way to go for sonic quality.

I dunno, having a variety in the folder is pretty nice. There are many synths that overlap but as I am doing something a bit specific with this tune, certain synths I am not usually using are fitting in very nicely.

EvilDragon wrote:Pretty easy to expand the polyphony with a bit of MIDI processing and multiple instances, though... :)
I guess so. I'm just so damn lazy, so i never can be bothered to set up stuff like that... :)
Synthman2000 wrote:My concern is it looks a bit short on envelopes these days, I prefer envelopes as they seem more controllable than LFO for many sonic duties as a mod source.
Talking about envelopes, i always found there's something odd with the envelopes in the V-Station. When you set up the filter envelope with short decay, and play a sequence, you hear the attack of the sound behaving as if there was a bit of attack dialed in, even though you didn't. Like, a slight "quak" at the start of the sound, but only sometimes. I never found out why it behaves like that, and i wonder if that is a bug, or if it is by design. It's surely pretty weird, and i never noticed that on any other synth.

Return to “Instruments”