Arturia synth development.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Well, it emulates different components of the synths. Of course you can't go by patch sheet, dial in the parameter values, and get the same sound, i'm aware of that (that holds true for even specific emulations too, try to dial in the same values in an Arturia synths, and what comes out will vastly differ from the original sound).
No it doesn't. If you use the same parameters in an Arturia emulation, the sound will be a close match, as its the case too with TAL U-NO LX. Otherwise, it would not be an emulation. Do that. I did.
chk071 wrote: Yet, you will be able to get at least to 95-99 % the same sound, if you program it right, thus it can be compared to other software emulation. And i highly doubt that Diva would be as successful and popular as it is, if it was just marketed as a synth which doesn't emulate anything particular really. So, considering that it has the Minimoog osc's, filter, the Oberheim osc's and filters, the JP-8k osc's and so on, of course, people will use it to emulate that sound.

First. It doesn't have Oberheim's Oscillators, just the filter.
Second: Doubt as much as you want, but Urs said in several occasions, that DIVA isn't emulating any hardware in particular. Its main argument is the "sound" and the "mix and match" components, and the fact that we can get the analogue "warmth" out of it. What people "use" it for is up to them. Personally, I use it as I use any other synth - to make sounds. But I also did come up with some Jupiter and Juno sounds out fo it, of course, tuning parameters by hear.
Fernando (FMR)

you can't compare timewarp with arturia, timewarp sounds amazing and arp2600 sounds like arturia.
you can grap timewarp cheap on the charrity give a away from sonnivox, they also promised further development, removing some bugs, but I think the man behind wow stopped.

sacer wrote: Diva, the legend and monark are not only louder, they sound living and arturia sounds static like an old sampletank 2 rompler.
I
This... Arturia just don't have that living vibe (perhaps a better term then analog). One note sounds virtually identical to the other.

You really hear this in comparison vids on youtube. Just in case you can't compare the HW to the Software.

My hardware SEM (before I sold it) sounded so rich compared to the Arturia's SEM V. In my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_n2ctb40B8

Never a great sound on YT but you can still hear a difference.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

fmr wrote:
chk071 wrote: Yet, you will be able to get at least to 95-99 % the same sound, if you program it right, thus it can be compared to other software emulation. And i highly doubt that Diva would be as successful and popular as it is, if it was just marketed as a synth which doesn't emulate anything particular really. So, considering that it has the Minimoog osc's, filter, the Oberheim osc's and filters, the JP-8k osc's and so on, of course, people will use it to emulate that sound.

First. It doesn't have Oberheim's Oscillators, just the filter.
Second: Doubt as much as you want, but Urs said in several occasions, that DIVA isn't emulating any hardware in particular. Its main argument is the "sound" and the "mix and match" components, and the fact that we can get the analogue "warmth" out of it. What people "use" it for is up to them. Personally, I use it as I use any other synth - to make sounds. But I also did come up with some Jupiter and Juno sounds out fo it, of course, tuning parameters by hear.
Well, that is clutching at straws then. Diva would never, ever be as popular as it is if it wasn't emulating particular synths. It emulates the Minimoogs oscillators, filters, the Oberheim's filters, the Jupiter-8's oscillators (and filters?) The JP-8k oscillators... i don't know what more do you wished it would emulate, to call it an emulation. I figure Urs meant that it doesn't emulate any aspect of a specific synth, and its architecture, like RePro-1 does for example. Of course it does emulate the components of said synths, hence it can be compared with other emulations.

Btw, try to do a filter swep with full resonance with the Arturia Mini V, and compare that to the real thing. Or even Monark. And see what a heck of a difference that makes, regarding "dialing in the exact same values".
Last edited by chk071 on Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robmobius wrote:
sacer wrote: Diva, the legend and monark are not only louder, they sound living and arturia sounds static like an old sampletank 2 rompler.
I
This... Arturia just don't have that living vibe (perhaps a better term then analog). One note sounds virtually identical to the other.

You really hear this in comparison vids on youtube. Just in case you can't compare the HW to the Software.

My hardware SEM (before I sold it) sounded so rich compared to the Arturia's SEM V. In my opinion.

Are we listening to the same video? I stopped after 7 minutes when he kept saying for patch after patch, "sounds the same." I am quite sure, at some point, that the emulation will fall apart under extreme use vs the real thing. But I'm listening to this for 7 minutes and I don't hear any significant difference.

Robmobius wrote: This... Arturia just don't have that living vibe (perhaps a better term then analog). One note sounds virtually identical to the other.

Really? I can hear some differences, all right, but not necessarily bad ones. Anyway, to me, they sound pretty close to each other (not bad, for an emulation that "use filters that always sound the same"). But maybe my ears are not as good as yours :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Robmobius wrote: This... Arturia just don't have that living vibe (perhaps a better term then analog). One note sounds virtually identical to the other.

Really? I can hear some differences, all right, but not necessarily bad ones. Anyway, to me, they sound pretty close to each other (not bad, for an emulation that "use filters that always sound the same"). But maybe my ears are not as good as yours :roll:
So you think it sounds as good as the SEM? Maybe my ears are not as good as the taste rulers. :roll:

Oh, and let us not forget, that there's no decent low end on a youtube vid. Now, I've been in a position to judge both by owning them. And I can tell you from my own (average) ears and a freq analyzer - that the SEM V cannot match the Hardware's low end.

Don't take my word for it though. Test it for yourself!
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

wagtunes wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
I

Are we listening to the same video? I stopped after 7 minutes when he kept saying for patch after patch, "sounds the same." I am quite sure, at some point, that the emulation will fall apart under extreme use vs the real thing. But I'm listening to this for 7 minutes and I don't hear any significant difference.
See my comment above to the taste ruler.

Robmobius wrote:
fmr wrote:

So you think it sounds as good as the SEM? Maybe my ears are not as good as the taste rulers. :roll:

Oh, and let us not forget, that there's no decent low end on a youtube vid. Now, I've been in a position to judge both by owning them. And I can tell you from my own (average) ears and a freq analyzer - that the SEM V cannot match the Hardware's low end.

Don't take my word for it though. Test it for yourself!
Okay, for those of us mere mortals who don't have access to an SEM and will never own one, the Arturia is more than good enough.

Sheesh.

The problem with such comparisons is that they never feature extreme sounds. You can even get Synth1 to sound like a Minimoog with some sounds. Do extreme settings, and they will be nothing like it though. So why don't the people comparing the synths take such examples? It's silly to compare raw waveforms for example, or 2 oscillator patches, slightly detuned, with no filter resonance.

This is more like it:

https://soundcloud.com/nativeinstrument ... comparison

The main reason why developers typically don't offer such comparison demos is because, right, their synths wouldn't sound anything like the original with extreme settings.
Last edited by chk071 on Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote:The problem with such comparisons is that they never feature extreme sounds. You can even get Synth1 to sound like a Minimoog with some sounds. Do extreme settings, and they will be nothing like it though. So why don't the people comparing the synths take such examples? It's silly to compare raw waveforms for example, or 2 oscillator patches, slightly detuned, with no filter resonance.

This is more like it:
For that matter, comparing hardware to software, this is true for all soft synths. So what's the point? We all can't or don't want to own hardware. So software is our only option. So comparing apples to apples (one software to another) I don't hear the big difference between Arturia synths and all these other "emulations" that are supposed to sound so much better.

I forgot to add the sound example first, it's up there now. :D If we are going for an emulation, what do we want, other than a strict, and as good as possible emulation? I have enough VA synths which are not emulations, but, if i want to have something as near as possible to the real thing, i'd use something like Monark.

chk071 wrote:I forgot to add the sound example first, it's up there now. :D If we are going for an emulation, what do we want, other than a strict, and as good as possible emulation? I have enough VA synths which are not emulations, but, if i want to have something as near as possible to the real thing, i'd use something like Monark.
And that's fair enough for a Mini. But what if you want an SEM or CS 80 emulation?

chk071 wrote: I figure Urs meant that it doesn't emulate any aspect of a specific synth, and its architecture, like RePro-1 does for example. Of course it does emulate the components of said synths, hence it can be compared with other emulations.
Whatever. Like someone said about D. Quijote: "Where Sancho sees windmills, D. Quijote sees giants. Sancho sees mills, then they are mills, D. Quijote sees giants, then they are giants"
chk071 wrote: Btw, try to do a filter swep with full resonance with the Arturia Mini V, and compare that to the real thing. Or even Monark. And see what a heck of a difference that makes, regarding "dialing in the exact same values".

I can't perform the test on the real thing, because I have no access to one, but I will perform them in Monark and Minimonsta, and I will post the results. Anyway, what will this prove? Have you performed this same test, BTW?

OTOH, Mini V is polyphonic, and taxes your CPU just a little, while Monark is monophonic and a heavy burden. :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

wagtunes wrote: For that matter, comparing hardware to software, this is true for all soft synths. So what's the point? .../... I don't hear the big difference between Arturia synths and all these other "emulations" that are supposed to sound so much better.
That's because your ears are not good enough, and you don't have a sub-woofer capable of shaking the walls. :hihi:
Last edited by fmr on Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”