Any love for Fabfilter Twin 2?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Twin 3

Just curious about this synth. I see Fabfilter praised in highest regard for their FX stuff, and was curious because I have never heard anyone talk about Twin 2.

Does anyone use this synth? How is it? I am quite curious, as the company seems to make top notch stuff, and am curious about how their synth(s) stacks up to their FX stuff.

Cheers!!

For Context, i got Diva,Ace,Bazille, Zebra2+HZ, Hive, FM8, Blue2, Alchemy, VirtualCZ some Xils Le thing and probably others i don't remember right now.
Tried a couple recent newcomers.
To this day there is not a synth i like to use more than Twin 2. Just works for me, be it workflow or sound.
Obviously its not a incredibly complex synth(part of its charme for me) and it doesn't seem to be cutting edge anymore as far as analog modeling goes.
But Fabfilter still got that one right. I wonder how great a Twin3 could be.

Its certainly worth trying out the demo for yourself.
Andy is a support ninja.

Since I bought it, many years ago, I've never used it.
I think the main reason is that it doesn't have effects on board, apart from a delay. I know you can add them after, but I have to be inspired by a preset to start tweaking it and without effects it's harder to sound interesting enough.
Plus I think you have to get used to its interface before enjoying it. I prefer more traditional GUIs like ACE or Spire.

Waiting for Twin 3 with more effects onboard hopefully.

Bought it. Sold it. Bought it again. There's something not quite right about the sound. I don't know what it is but I still never use it.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I had it in the past , it was my favorite synth.
Their price was right 10 year ago , but now it is overpriced.
If fabfilter price it something like 60$ i would buy it again , but not at the actual price.

Aloysius wrote:Bought it. Sold it. Bought it again. There's something not quite right about the sound. I don't know what it is but I still never use it.
Sounds alright to me, as smooth as a baboons red buttocks. I think because of the filters. But it might be too smooth/soft for some though. I happen to like smooth synths (and buttocks).

Oh and super low cpu usage, which is also a big plus for me.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Aloysius wrote:...There's something not quite right about the sound. I don't know what it is but I still never use it.
I agree - Twin1&2 was the second Fabfilter plugin I bought after the Timeless. This was before the developer had any of the present famous effect plugins.

My analysis is that after we have got so many great synths (Dune2, Sylenth1, Zebra2 etc,), the Twin sound landscape lacks that "modern" ambient (often reverbed) sound register, both shimmering high register and deep bass.

The Twin is best when you need mid register and special "strange" sound effects.

The above has made the Timeless and Volcano use rather limited in my arsenal, too.
I really wish that the Fabfilter is working with the update of all these three.

Not quite. I hate the GUI. And the sound is nothing to write home. Definitely needs to reach V3.

I really like it, it uses little CPU, it must have been one of the first plugs with resizeable GUI, and also the installation procedure is ace (serial number).

The price could be nicer though...

I like the GUI, how one can click on modulator to bring it up in focus, and the "conveyor belt" of the lower part of the GUI to display processes, is a clever way to save space.

It is one of those synths that are well suited for touch screens, it would be great to be able to shape the filters and envelopes with that kind of hands on accessibility, so it would be cool if they could implement that. As such it would be a synth well suited for conversion to iOS as well.

It sounds decent enough, it is almost a shame that it comes with LOTS of patches, as it makes rolling your own almost redundant
Last edited by Numanoid on Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's gorgeous, I remember when it was hell'a cheap and on the mac store though. Can't justify the price with the minimal feature set.

Dasheesh wrote:It's gorgeous, I remember when it was hell'a cheap and on the mac store though. Can't justify the price with the minimal feature set.
By any chance, do you mean Fabfilter One? I remember getting that for, like, 5 bucks on some crazy sale. Fabfilter TWIN, however, has quite a lot more features, filter types, etc. That said, Twin would definitely sell more copies if they lowered the price to something like $99 USD.

Anyhow, to the OP... I've had Twin 2 for years and love using it for anything with a liquid, chilled-out and oldschool flavor. For big, loud EDM and hard bass music, there are better options (Sylenth, Hive, Massive, etc). I definitely want to create some commercial preset banks for it, but keep getting sidetracked with other projects and more shiny new toys to play with.

I love Twin 2's dry and 'honest' approach to sound design - not drenched in effects. All you have for effects is a good quality delay. Beyond that, Twin forces you to try and create a big sound entirely from scratch.
Last edited by Xenos on Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VST PRESETS ---> http://xenossoundworks.com
Bazille, NI Massive, Z3ta, PPG Wave, TAL-J8, RePro, Diva, Spire and more

It was one of the first musical software apps you could buy on the mac store at one time and I don't remember the exact price but I chat you not it was like 30$

Dasheesh wrote:It was one of the first musical software apps you could buy on the mac store at one time and I don't remember the exact price but I chat you not it was like 30$
WOW! I would have jumped on that in an instant. Definitely would have been a no-brainer.
VST PRESETS ---> http://xenossoundworks.com
Bazille, NI Massive, Z3ta, PPG Wave, TAL-J8, RePro, Diva, Spire and more

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Xenos wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:It was one of the first musical software apps you could buy on the mac store at one time and I don't remember the exact price but I chat you not it was like 30$
WOW! I would have jumped on that in an instant. Definitely would have been a no-brainer.

At the time few knew fab filter and few took it seriously.

Return to “Instruments”