MODO BASS: Get ready for a new level of realism (1.5 update available now)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO BASS 1

I want to like MODO Bass more, but I have trouble getting a convincing tone out of it for hard rock/metal. This is even when turning off the internal effects and running it through my preferred bass setup (JST Bassforge Hellraiser). I recently re-downloaded MODO Bass to see if anything had changed since I had last messed with the program (back in 2018). Ended up buying Djinnbass and Eurobass II for heavier music instead.

FogMan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:02 pm I want to like MODO Bass more, but I have trouble getting a convincing tone out of it for hard rock/metal. This is even when turning off the internal effects and running it through my preferred bass setup (JST Bassforge Hellraiser). I recently re-downloaded MODO Bass to see if anything had changed since I had last messed with the program (back in 2018). Ended up buying Djinnbass and Eurobass II for heavier music instead.
Both those are picked only right, isn't metal bass usually fingered? (Of course there are exceptions....)

For metal I usually have the bass playing closer to sub-bass. For that usage Modo Bass through PA or Neural DSP amp sounds pretty good, but I'm far from an expert. Also use Virtual Bassist Rowdy 2 for picked and Waves Bass Fingers---got them pretty cheap on sale. They don't go quite as low as Modo Bass though.

Tbh listening to Submission Audio's two flagship metal basses (the only ones with "TruBass" etc.) I'm not that impressed. Sounds good in a mix, but when they're more exposed---and I could be completely wrong about this---they don't quite sound realistic, even when people appear to be using actual guitars (sending midi) to play them. Too controlled, something off about the tone... yeah, compare SA's Umansky with actual Umansky:

[in mix starts at 2:03, exposed starts at 2:23]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJqYlAM-Q0U&t=123s

[bass starts at 16 seconds]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZamNQ1chsOI&t=16s

... of course the difference in tone can partly be explained by different setup and could probably be improved with better amp sims / amps.
Last edited by Ou_Tis on Mon May 16, 2022 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ou_Tis wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:07 am
xphen0m wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:41 pm But moving on, I'd hoping Modo Bass 2 can do a better aggressive bass sound. Modo Bass 1 wasn't good for heavier styles of music from my usage. Submission Audio's basses are the king in the category.
Did you try putting it through better amp (and pedal) sims for those styles of music? Or do you think the issues are primarily with the signal before the amp/pedal?

I've generally liked the NeuralDSP and Plugin Alliance amps more than IK/Amplitude, though I haven't used Amplitude 5 much.
I have the Darkglass bass vsts, Audiffex's recent bass distortion effects, Bass Forge effects, etc. Even a tried my hardware Darkglass B7K Ultra. The effect isn't the issue. The issue is that Modo Bass cannot replicate the aggressive playing you typically hear in harder genres, at least, not in a way that sounds even half way decent. On top of that, Modo's DI signal does NOT sound good going through any of those heavier distortion effects.

Which MODO bass model are you using?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:40 am Which MODO bass model are you using?
If you're asking me---Metal Bass, fingered, playing from A0 to A1 (but usually closer to A0... six strings, drop tuning). Good enough to be low in the mix when other instruments are eating up my memory. Though I could just bounce everything and swap in something else.

Many metal bass players use a pick

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:43 pm
Harry_HH wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:30 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:04 pm
Harry_HH wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:18 pm I have predicted the Orange Vocoder release to the same period. Lets hold our breath…
I predict only one of us will be right! :hihi:
…or none of us.

Race is still on between the IK and Zynaptiq…
Yes, well, with the date slipping to May, my original prediction does not stand. Would be great if Orange Vocoder suddenly hit out of the blue though I'm not holding my breath.
https://youtu.be/BfkqpYj5rLo

Orange Vocoder is the Chinese Democracy of the plugin world.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Instruments”