RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

Mirko R. wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Well, I love this synth, but worst sequencer implementation I've ever seen as far as repeated notes goes. And this isn't the only synth to do this.

Take a simple 16 note sequence

C3-C3-C3-C3-F3-F3-F3-F3-C4-C4-C4-C4-G3-G3-G3-G3

Each repeated note is chained to the note before it. In other words, the 4 C3 notes are played as one long note instead of 4 triggers. I've tried changing the sequencer shapes from whole notes to half notes but doing that produces a dip in the pitch. I tried taking off the sustain in the envelope but each trigger of the sequence doesn't retrigger the envelope, so it dies after the first beat.

In short, I have tried everything I know how to do in order to make this work the way I want it to but nothing is giving me the results that I want. Something that should be a basic sequencer function and not something that I should have to jump through a dozen hoops to make work IF it's at all even possible.

Please fix this retrigger problem in a future release. Right now, any repeated notes in a sequence are not retriggered.

** EDIT ** Okay, figured it out through brute force. There is a button that will sync the sequencer to the ARP. After that, you have to play around with the two speeds (seq and arp) to get things just the way you want. Very flexible, but not very intuitive and without a manual, purely guess work.
The Sequenzer doesn't play notes again. For this case you have to take the arp. If you need the sequencer as well, you can activate the mono/arp LED in the sequencer to make it sync.
Figured that out.

Ran into another problem.

With this 32 note sequence

C#3 G#3 F3 G#3 / D#3 A#3 F#3 A#3 / G#4 D#4 C4 D#4 / A#4 F#5 D#5 F#5 / G#4 F5 C#5 F5 /A#4 F#5 C#5 F#5 / F#4 C#5 A#4 C#5 / G#4 D#5 C4 D#5

At a 12 tone interval the sequencer doesn't go high enough to cover C#5 and above.

At 24 tone interval, not adjustments aren't fine enough. There are certain tones I can't program.

I haven't tried adjusting the ARP triggers up an octave to see if that makes a difference.

Point is, this needs to be made easier. I shouldn't have this much trouble programming a simple 32 note sequence.

wagtunes wrote:
Mirko R. wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Well, I love this synth, but worst sequencer implementation I've ever seen as far as repeated notes goes. And this isn't the only synth to do this.

Each repeated note is chained to the note before it. In other words, the 4 C3 notes are played as one long note instead of 4 triggers. I've tried changing the sequencer shapes from whole notes to half notes but doing that produces a dip in the pitch. I tried taking off the sustain in the envelope but each trigger of the sequence doesn't retrigger the envelope, so it dies after the first beat.

In short, I have tried everything I know how to do in order to make this work the way I want it to but nothing is giving me the results that I want. Something that should be a basic sequencer function and not something that I should have to jump through a dozen hoops to make work IF it's at all even possible.

Please fix this retrigger problem in a future release. Right now, any repeated notes in a sequence are not retriggered.

** EDIT ** Okay, figured it out through brute force. There is a button that will sync the sequencer to the ARP. After that, you have to play around with the two speeds (seq and arp) to get things just the way you want. Very flexible, but not very intuitive and without a manual, purely guess work.
The Sequenzer doesn't play notes again. For this case you have to take the arp. If you need the sequencer as well, you can activate the mono/arp LED in the sequencer to make it sync.
Figured that out.

C#3 G#3 F3 G#3 / D#3 A#3 F#3 A#3 / G#4 D#4 C4 D#4 / A#4 F#5 D#5 F#5 / G#4 F5 C#5 F5 /A#4 F#5 C#5 F#5 / F#4 C#5 A#4 C#5 / G#4 D#5 C4 D#5

At a 12 tone interval the sequencer doesn't go high enough to cover C#5 and above.

At 24 tone interval, not adjustments aren't fine enough. There are certain tones I can't program.

I haven't tried adjusting the ARP triggers up an octave to see if that makes a difference.

Point is, this needs to be made easier. I shouldn't have this much trouble programming a simple 32 note sequence.

right, you have the 1/12 grid or alternative the 1/16 grid. i think a 1/24 grid would be too fine. i know this and i solved it with two sequencers which i link to the pitch coarse. with +12 amount. with the first sequencer you can make the notes from C3 to C4 and with the second you can go from C4 to C5. here is a preset how i handle it.
sequencer 2 octs.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mirko R. wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Mirko R. wrote:

Figured that out.

right, you have the 1/12 grid or alternative the 1/16 grid. i think a 1/24 grid would be too fine. i know this and i solved it with two sequencers which i link to the pitch coarse. with +12 amount. with the first sequencer you can make the notes from C3 to C4 and with the second you can go from C4 to C5. here is a preset how i handle it.
sequencer 2 octs.rar
Except how do you stop sequencer 1 once sequencer 2 takes over? For that matter, how do you keep sequencer 2 from playing when sequencer 1 starts?

wagtunes wrote: Except how do you stop sequencer 1 once sequencer 2 takes over? For that matter, how do you keep sequencer 2 from playing when sequencer 1 starts?
You can't stop or start them at a specific time. Take a look at the preset again.The sequencers are adding together like the image shows:

Mirko R. wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Except how do you stop sequencer 1 once sequencer 2 takes over? For that matter, how do you keep sequencer 2 from playing when sequencer 1 starts?
You can't stop or start them at a specific time. Take a look at the preset again.The sequencers are adding together like the image shows:
Yeah, won't work for what I want to do.

Found an easier solution. One sequencer plus ARP. You simply move the octave up on the ARP when you get into out of range territory. I'll take a screen print when I'm all done and post it here.

wagtunes wrote:
Yeah, won't work for what I want to do.

Found an easier solution. One sequencer plus ARP. You simply move the octave up on the ARP when you get into out of range territory. I'll take a screen print when I'm all done and post it here.
Of course it is also possible. Is the question if you want to restart the envelopes or not. ;-) Waiting for your screens. maybe you also have something to listen. :-)

wagtunes wrote:Found an easier solution. One sequencer plus ARP. You simply move the octave up on the ARP when you get into out of range territory. I'll take a screen print when I'm all done and post it here.
That was the original intended way of using them. Most people will use sequences to modulate volume/cutoff or similiar things. It's just a nice by-product that you can control semitones in a 1/12 grid. Many synths have not even a grid. So prefering the arp is the right way.

parawave wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Found an easier solution. One sequencer plus ARP. You simply move the octave up on the ARP when you get into out of range territory. I'll take a screen print when I'm all done and post it here.
That was the original intended way of using them. Most people will use sequences to modulate volume/cutoff or similiar things. It's just a nice by-product that you can control semitones in a 1/12 grid. Many synths have not even a grid. So prefering the arp is the right way.
By mixing the SEQ and ARP rates as well as grids, you can get some interesting results. In essence, it's probably the most flexible sequencer/ARP setup I've seen, at least in any synth I own, if not immediately intuitive and, at times, a bit frustrating to work with. But with patience, you can recreate just about anything up to 32 steps.

Here is the combined SEQ/ARP settings.

I'll try to have an audio example shortly.

Soo.. what's the plan for a Mac AU version?

Here's my take on a Goa Bassline inside one rapid, half tempo style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZdSxjc ... e=youtu.be

A rougher Psy one.

https://soundcloud.com/touch_the_univer ... e-bassline
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Here's another supersaw approach, this time using detune multi-samples, and also on proper speakers this time :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx9bvox ... e=youtu.be

And two more audio demo's, first a sequence, second a bubbly pad :)

https://soundcloud.com/touch_the_univer ... d-sq-ninja

https://soundcloud.com/touch_the_univer ... rtle-shell
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote:Here's another supersaw approach, this time using detune multi-samples, and also on proper speakers this time :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx9bvox ... e=youtu.be
Try not to use so much stereo spread and dial "treble" in the filter back, it doesn't seem to work well with hypersaws.

Other stuff you've posted sounds really good
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

@Touch The Universe:
A small tip for you, seeing your leveling methods. The red indicator on each mixer meter and on the master output meter is implying something: DANGER! ;D

1. Make sure each layer is not overshooting the mixer meter by reducing gain in the right section. In order:
- reduce oscillator level
- reduce insert level
- think about using a balancer fx if the level is still to high

2. Make sure the sum of all layers is not clipping the multiband waveform display / master meter:
- reduce each layer level by using mixer faders

There is a reason for that:
Rapid does not use clipping in the output stage. But the compressors and limiter have a preffered "working level". If your levels are too high, the compressor/limiter will probably distort your sound.
If you get your layer levels right, you will have no problems using the master multiband compressor and output limiter, to give your sound a final touch.

Okay. This preset is my highlight of the month. I made it with one instance. all layers are in use and i only played with the macros and the modheel. creating a track in live mode. hope you like it. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KygHgcmfb9E

Return to “Instruments”