One Synth Challenge #92: Digits 2 by Extent of the Jam (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Digits

You read my mind. I stumbled on a fun little feature, that Phase84 used inside the tabletop app allows you to record all the automation and also preset changes. You can make some glitchy, clicky nightmares pretty fast, and crash the ipad! Which brings me to another question for you guys. Any good, free, click removing plugs out there? The waves plugs are the best I've tried so far.
Here's what came of a few evenings with it on ipad, which cannot be entered.
https://soundcloud.com/opoint/phase847

My entry (not as straight jazz as last time):

https://soundcloud.com/jazzaria/missed-call

Made in Reaper
11 instances Digits
FX - ReaEQ, MStereoExpander, ReaVerberate, ReaComp, MEqualizer, ReaXcomp, MLoudnessAnalyzer

opoint wrote:You read my mind. I stumbled on a fun little feature, that Phase84 used inside the tabletop app allows you to record all the automation and also preset changes. You can make some glitchy, clicky nightmares pretty fast, and crash the ipad! Which brings me to another question for you guys. Any good, free, click removing plugs out there? The waves plugs are the best I've tried so far.
Oh, that's pretty amazing, op! Somehow in my morning brains I skipped over the ipad part. It sounds hardly like Digits except on a few sounds, which speaks for your ingenuity and how much productive fun one can have with an ipad...who knew! ;) :hihi: ...really cool! 8-)

Digits 2.1 for Linux released. No gui though.

rghvdberg wrote:Digits 2.1 for Linux released. No gui though.
Can you run it ? It fails here in Bitwig 1.3.13 on Fedora 21 due to a versioned dependency.

Code: Select all

$ ldd DigitsVST_32.so 
./DigitsVST_32.so: /lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./DigitsVST_32.so)

$ ldd DigitsVST_64.so 
./DigitsVST_64.so: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./DigitsVST_64.so)
Sigh.

Best,

dp

opoint wrote:You read my mind. I stumbled on a fun little feature, that Phase84 used inside the tabletop app allows you to record all the automation and also preset changes. You can make some glitchy, clicky nightmares pretty fast, and crash the ipad! Which brings me to another question for you guys. Any good, free, click removing plugs out there? The waves plugs are the best I've tried so far.
Sounding neat. Sorry I haven't used any click removal plugins (and a quick search seems to indicate there aren't many free ones), but you can always go in and automate volume at the clicks.

Or if those clicks are at the very beginning of the sound you can try compression with very fast attack and somewhat slower release. I did that for some of the sounds. Flux also have a free transient tool which can work both ways. Either amplify the transient or attenuate it.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Hi all, here my track for osc092
http://www.acadballa.com/2mp3/1cmp/2016 ... ewhere.mp3
https://soundcloud.com/ballacr75/osc092 ... -somewhere
Round: KvrOsc 092 - Digits 2
Date: 2016/10/16
Artist: ballacr75 (Emanuele Ballasina 1975 Cremona Italy)
Art: acadballa (http://www.acadballa.com)
Title: Somewhere
Duration: 4'15" (120bpm, 4/4, 10%, E- E+)
Daw/FX: Renoise 3.1 (Eq, Delay, Comp, Automation)
Plugins: 12x Digits2 vsti by ExtentOfTheJam (most of the patches by me)
Hope you enjoy.
The best,
ballacr75
Last edited by ballacr75 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StudioDave wrote:
rghvdberg wrote:Digits 2.1 for Linux released. No gui though.
Can you run it ? It fails here in Bitwig 1.3.13 on Fedora 21 due to a versioned dependency.

$ ldd DigitsVST_32.so 
./DigitsVST_32.so: /lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./DigitsVST_32.so)

$ ldd DigitsVST_64.so 
./DigitsVST_64.so: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./DigitsVST_64.so)
Sigh.

Best,

dp
Have only run it in carla. It worked.
I'm on Mint 18 == Ubuntu 16.04

For now I'll keep working with the wine version. Works well.

Has somebody noticed preset changes after reloading a project, especially something like GAIN being put back to default?!

Taron wrote:Has somebody noticed preset changes after reloading a project, especially something like GAIN being put back to default?!
I thought there was something crazy going on :?, things sometimes sounding different upon a reload. In my case, I couldn't put my finger on what exactly was changing, as it was something like this in some single layer of a layered sound, subtle enough that I figured I'll pinpoint it later. It's absolutely noticeable, though. Is it always the same parameter that is changing, or is it semi-random? The synth has been consistent enough for this not to be a huge problem, but it's slightly worrisome :P

Now that I think about it, currently I must have VERY few sounds in there that I've adjusted the synth's internal gain in, actually. Have you noticed for certain that this happens with some other specific parameter?

Yeah, it's super weird. I can't quite tell, if it is Digits or space360 that messes around. I have to make it a habit to somehow make notes of all settings, I guess. Sounds ridiculous to me, but well... vst offers a breeding ground for mess-ups. :(

Fortunately it's only one sound that sticks out like a sore thumb and I've managed to wrestle it somewhat back into place, but it sure is scary. Again, might not be Digits. :shrug: ...that's why I was asking.

Yeah, it's interesting, as this is exactly the vibe I've had with this synth. As if something can change upon reload, and on the other hand it's mostly totally predictable and consistent. Wanted to know if you know for certain there's a parameter that causes this :D

Yeah, I only know for certain that the interface doesn't update properly for several toggles (cos|sin and reset for example). It's really tricky sometimes. But the sound really does surprise me. It's as if extra challenges create extra interesting results. 8-)

Worst part of Digits are really, really the envelopes. Never mind the clipping/distorting FAT option or weak anti-aliasing for high frequencies, but the envelopes are really unfortunate. It's almost impossible to get any steep slopes or even softly ramp to 0 and it loves to click for sure. :dog:
...still it's way friendlier than Mantra Evo back then, hahahaha, and much more conventional, too, in a good way. Just quality troubles all over.

Return to “Instruments”