Izotope releases Neutron: "A smarter way to mix"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Neutrino Neutron 3 Standard

pekbro wrote:Really the only reason a computer can't master as well as an experienced
human can, is simply the fact that humans have not figured out how to quantify
the mastering process well enough to program a machine to do it.

It will come eventually, make no mistake about that.

Just sayin...

-Cheers
If anything about mastering becomes standardised or regulated by rules then yes, you're probably right. From a philosophical standpoint I'm utterly against it though. Rules should not be imposed on freedom of expression otherwise it ceases to be freedom of expression.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:
If anything about mastering becomes standardised or regulated by rules then yes, you're probably right. From a philosophical standpoint I'm utterly against it though. Rules should not be imposed on freedom of expression otherwise it ceases to be freedom of expression.

Actually, I would think that standardizing or regulating the mastering process
would be a great way to fail at successfully teaching a machine to master
as well or better than a human.

I personally would bet on success residing in the opposite direction of that.

-Cheers

'All instances listen to each other' Wow!
Who cares if it's automated as long as it gets the job done" Clutch if you like to feel the car under your bum, automatic if you just wanna drive.
Really looking forward to the release.

kelvyn wrote:'All instances listen to each other' Wow!
Who cares if it's automated as long as it gets the job done" Clutch if you like to feel the car under your bum, automatic if you just wanna drive.
Really looking forward to the release.
Quite.

It's funny how some releases unleash the "one-click solutions are terrible" brigade so quickly, and usually inappropriately. In this case, iZotope seem at pains to say that one-click is precisely what it ISN'T. This looks like a terrific tool, especially the spectral masking - really clever and smart looking design. As you say, being able to see all other instances, find the clashing frequencies then boost one while simultaneously cutting the other... that's clever stuff.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote:Quite.

It's funny how some releases unleash the "one-click solutions are terrible" brigade so quickly, and usually inappropriately. In this case, iZotope seem at pains to say that one-click is precisely what it ISN'T. This looks like a terrific tool, especially the spectral masking - really clever and smart looking design. As you say, being able to see all other instances, find the clashing frequencies then boost one while simultaneously cutting the other... that's clever stuff.
Personally I got quite the opposite impression. IMO it is quite convoluted. Some of the new tools which on surface should make mixing faster end up slowing the process down. And actually, the guy on the video quite rightfully pointed out that all those spectral clashings might not be problem. It looks like a VERY powerful tool, and IMO it would take a lot of reserve and judgement to make good use of it. I actually would advice mixers with little experience from using it, as it may prevent them from learning good practices and getting ahead with THEIR vision and taste.

sounddesigner wrote:
Fleer wrote:Think I'll get the regular version and use Alloy2 for separates if necessary.
If you own the Music Production Bundle you can just upgrade to the upcoming V2 of that bundle and it includes many new additions i.e. Neutron Advanced, Vocalsynth and RX plugins now. I think the new MPB V2 upgrade is around $150 and it has several new plugins in that bundle. I'll be selling my copy of Vocalsynth wich I bought individually and be using that money twards the new MPB V2 upgrade. Izotope are usually generouse with upgrades and resale lately.

I don't know exactly which effects are also separates in Neutron but I do know that all of Neutron's algorithms are not exactly the same as Alloy's. Neutron has a new Transient Designer algorithm and a new dynamic-eq and Spectral Shaping .
Good points :tu:

To those who say it'll waste time or it's for amateurs who don't know how to mix, I think on the opposite end.

It'll help SAVE time by giving you a good focus point based on the material that you have versus starting with a plugin that has a preset based on different material. Also..since all instances are automatically linked, that's so much less work you have to do versus putting in a analyzer vst... link it to the other one and struggle & then struggle with your EQ as well.

As far as rookies who can't mix properly, hell, nothing on his earth can make a bad mixing engineer sound like a great one. BUT... a bad mixing engineer can get better by using a tool like this. With practice, they could kind of guess the starting points for things. You can never replace years of experience with a tool you can by for $200, but by using such a tool, you can START to gain some more experience in your own way of how to work. There are just some people who learn better by visuals, which Neutrino has down packed. The ears take time to develop.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Fleer wrote:Think I'll get the regular version and use Alloy2 for separates if necessary.
It has separates? I thought that was just Ozone Adv.

Machines already master waaaay better than when humans started. They can also make a pizza, but not as good as a human pizza chef can today.

However, the human chef now uses a KitchenAid. ;)

The mask function is a time saver, not only for the analisis but also for being able to see, tweak and even relate the adjustments.

it is great someone brings innovation instead of the nth emulation of a distressor. Hope other developers see the potential and start producing alternatives.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:...instead of the nth emulation of a distressor.
Really? How many can you name?

Neutron is like what I was dreaming about in this post back in 2011...

viewtopic.php?p=4593303

"Maybe I should be writing this to Santa Claus, but just in case it exists... what would be truly worth paying for would be something which combines the ability to see a lot of tracks' curves in one screen (e.g Blue Cat Multi, et al, which can handle 16) with the ability to then eq any given displayed frequency with a first-rate EQ, so you can see the changes (i.e. like Gliss EQ, except that it can only handle 4 tracks in the view window).

Now,you can view with Blue Cat, but to make any change you have to dismiss it, summon the appropriate EQ plug, make the change, and then switch back. Do-able but... what a boon to be able to do it all in one place. Anyone know if something like this exists?"

Gosh, I'm prescient.

Izotope, meanwhile, has clearly stolen my idea

Always the little guy who gets shafted ...
Last edited by lingyai on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

Ooops... double post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

yes I remember doing the whole Voxengo Span configuration years ago to help mix kick and bass. I managed to do it but ended up forgetting all the complex routing the next time I wanted to mix.

Really looking forward to Neutron. They had a button for inverse link too, so making boosts on one track automatically made cuts on the other from what I saw on the demo. Also I think the cross grade price is very reasonable if you own another standard plugin.

Has anyone who owns the MPB v1 gotten an upgrade coupon in their account?
Surfing, skateboarding, Music Making Man and tech fool.
New Album! KnowledgeBass

Return to “Effects”