SEM V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SEM V2

Rastkovic wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:21 pm
robindrieghe wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:43 pm friendly noise! or other arturia sem knowers...i have v2 but need a sound from v1 thats not included, is there a way to convert?
By hand?

What's the name of the sound? Maybe someone here can do this job for you....
by hand using the voice programmer, good luck.
its the DN furrywhls sound, paypalling 5€ to have a beer to whoever nails it :D

hi, sem v is not bad with some tape saturation in the chain, cheers :)
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Rastkovic wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:40 pm
Friendly Noise wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:18 pm A comparison with the hardware:

https://youtu.be/y-0oPE6pJHc
Nice comparison, thanks! Would love to see a comparison between Gforce SEM and your hardware SEM. :)

Maybe I'm wrong, but in my opinion the Gforce SEM doesn't have the distinctive Oberheim sound....
The SEM - GForce SEM comparison is coming in the next days too. :-)

martiu wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:20 pm hi, sem v is not bad with some tape saturation in the chain, cheers :)
The problem is SEM V lacks high end frequencies and will sound dull no matter what you do. The filter only opens to 15 kHz and can't be opened any further with modulation. Compare it with GForce SEM and it's immediately obvious it sounds muffled and dull. The filter also sounds completely wrong when you crank up the resonance. It's just not very good at all.
Stormchild

robindrieghe wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:33 am
Rastkovic wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:21 pm
robindrieghe wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:43 pm friendly noise! or other arturia sem knowers...i have v2 but need a sound from v1 thats not included, is there a way to convert?
By hand?

What's the name of the sound? Maybe someone here can do this job for you....
by hand using the voice programmer, good luck.
its the DN furrywhls sound, paypalling 5€ to have a beer to whoever nails it :D
I would like to help, but SEM V doesn't seem to work on macOS Monterrey. It doesn't work in Live 10/11 or in Logic Pro....

Friendly Noise wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:47 pm

Nice comparison, thanks! Would love to see a comparison between Gforce SEM and your hardware SEM. :)

Maybe I'm wrong, but in my opinion the Gforce SEM doesn't have the distinctive Oberheim sound....
Cool! :)

Friendly Noise wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:47 pm

Nice. :tu:

chk071 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:39 pm
vitocorleone123 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:24 pm

Tom seems satisfied enough. Doesn’t mean you have to like the synth, of course.
He also seemed "satisfied" enough to let Arturia use the original synth's name, or let Dave Smith call his synth the OB-6 (think it even sports Tom Oberheim's signature). I remember another occasion, but, can't remember now which one it was exactly. Let's just say that he's satisfied with a lot of things, as it seems. Or maybe they simply pay him enough.

Would love a comparison of the Gforce with a real SEM as well. IMO, the Gforce SEM lacks some resonance, or has a slightly different resonant behavior. In every SEM demo, I hear more resonance on full level. The base sound seems to be quite there though. Maybe a bit too reserved in the bass region as well.
:wheee:

Haha. OK. Good luck out there.

Arashi wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:38 amThe problem is SEM V lacks high end frequencies and will sound dull no matter what you do. The filter only opens to 15 kHz and can't be opened any further with modulation.
Hmm. If something sounds noticeably dull in regular usage then, whatever the cause, it's happening well below 15kHz.

Whilst our ears can hear a range of frequencies (which reduce as we age), louder frequencies obscure others. IE If you have a really loud low frequency component that will impede your ability to hear a quieter high frequency, even though they're on different parts of the spectrum. Meaning, to consistently hear a difference above 15kHz, you'd likely have to choose settings which deliberately pronounced this area and/or high-pass the signal to help isolate the higher frequency content.

If dullness is evident beyond specific scenarios, like that, then (for virtual instruments) it's probably a much bigger indicator of things like a lack of detail in a resonance model or pre-filter signal path, rather than being purely related to a (fairly high) cut off point like 15kHz. Unless, of course, someone only makes cymbal sounds with their synths, or is attempting to find sounds which summon the neighbourhoods cats. In which case.. sorry to interrupt and carry on :)

PAK wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:14 am
Arashi wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:38 amThe problem is SEM V lacks high end frequencies and will sound dull no matter what you do. The filter only opens to 15 kHz and can't be opened any further with modulation.
Hmm. If something sounds noticeably dull in regular usage then, whatever the cause, it's happening well below 15kHz.
Yeah, you're right. It sounds dull to me, and I can't reliably hear anything above 13 kHz.

It may have nothing to do with the filter frequency, and just be something they've done to prevent aliasing. Whatever the reason is, if you compare GForce SEM and SEM V, the latter has a significant lack of high frequency content.
Stormchild

chk071 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:39 pm
vitocorleone123 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:24 pm Tom seems satisfied enough. Doesn’t mean you have to like the synth, of course.
He also seemed "satisfied" enough to let Arturia use the original synth's name, or let Dave Smith call his synth the OB-6 (think it even sports Tom Oberheim's signature). I remember another occasion, but, can't remember now which one it was exactly. Let's just say that he's satisfied with a lot of things, as it seems. Or maybe they simply pay him enough.
Everyone's gotta eat. But the OB-6 was a collaboration so why shouldn't his name be on it? And why wouldn't he have been satisfied with the Arturia SEM V? It was the only software game in town at the time.

I don't know all the details, but Tom didn't have the use of his name for a while.
When he got it back, Arturia changed the OB-Xa V to OP-Xa V.
I don't know about Dave's stuff, but I think Tom collaborated on the OB-6.
He also did something with GForce so that Oberhein SEM is prominently displayed on the software logo.

Arashi wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:38 amThe problem is SEM V lacks high end frequencies and will sound dull no matter what you do. The filter only opens to 15 kHz and can't be opened any further with modulation. Compare it with GForce SEM and it's immediately obvious it sounds muffled and dull.
That would only apply when the filter is fully open so it's not something you'd notice most of the time and it could be easily masked with higher resonance settings anyway. It'sdefinitely not my favouriet SEM knock-off but that's not something about it that I've specifically noticed.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Comparison between SEM and Gforce SEM already available in the GForce SEM thread. :-)

Return to “Instruments”