Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

I've been wondering for a while now what Synpase Audio is up to next. It's a Minimoog emulation: http://www.synapse-audio.com/thelegend.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u70GfIMXX_s
Last edited by chk071 on Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sounds pretty similar to Dune2 (especially that Festival Chord patch, but some others too), but a tad smoother and fatter.

As far as there are 100500 analogue emulations already available as VSTis, I'd rather want them to bring this smoothness and fatness to the next versions of Dune.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:Sounds pretty similar to Dune2 (especially that Festival Chord patch, but some others too), but a tad smoother and fatter.
Yep, just what i was thinking. The filter is quite well done though, sounds juice like the Moog ladder filter.
recursive one wrote: As far as there are 100500 analogue emulations already available as VSTis, I'd rather want them to bring this smoothness and fatness to the next versions of Dune.
Yeah, it's a tough challenge with Monark and Diva out there. I asked Richard on the Reasontalk forum if he wants to release this as a VST. Let's see what he will answer (if it's him actually, the user name only said "Synapse Audio". Maybe he'll chime in here too).

Just saw that they offer comparison files between The Legend and a Minimoog Model D too, to be downloaded from this location: http://www.synapse-audio.com/legend/Leg ... rdware.zip
Couple of notes on those files:
  • You hear the same sequence twicely in each WAV file. The first is always Legend, the second half is hardware.
  • The presets shown here are included in The Legend, under the same names, in the "Vintage" subfolder.
  • The hardware part is played using the vintage Model D we mainly used as a reference. It's a unit in excellent, serviced condition and with the Lintronics MIDI mod, so we were able to use MIDI here, and thus the overall timing of notes and controller data (pitch bend) is very similar - not 100% due to the usual MIDI inaccuracies, but much closer than if we had to play the hardware live.
  • The Legend models the two main revisions of the Model D, coined Early and Late. The files above are made with the late D, which has the big advantage of having stable oscillator tunings. Of course oscillators run freely as in pretty much every analog synth, so each note will sound slightly different.
Using the clips above (and a couple more), we performed various blind tests and so far noone was able to spot the real Model D reliably. If someone thinks they can, we're happy to send over more comparison clips, where we won't tell in advance which is which. We believe it is impossible though to tell them apart.
Edit: Very impressive demos. Only very slight differences in timbre for me, maybe a tiny bit more "hollow" bass on The Legend.
Last edited by chk071 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

With Monark and half a dozen other emu's already in the game, kind of late to come along with something called "The Legend" ? :?

Way overpriced at $99, seeing how RE prices has dropped over the last couple of years since Antidote got released.

Last edited by Numanoid on Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Numanoid wrote:With Monark and half a dozen other emu's, kind of late to come along calling it The Legend ? :wink:
At the very least, they should be well positioned with their emu, the competition is big... tbh, i always found Monark to be a bit too aggressive/distortive though. The Legend sounds more smooth, and well-behaved. Probably the difference in the different modelled... models. :)
Numanoid wrote: Way overpriced at $99, seeing how RE prices has dropped over the last couple of years since Antidote got released.
Considering that there's regular sales in the PH shop, and that Synapse probably know better than we do what they CAN charge, i think the price is about right. U-he will also release their Pro-1 emu for a similar price, and that one will be only mono even.
Last edited by chk071 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

But wait there is more:

"On top of all this, The Legend offers additional controls not found on the original hardware, greatly enhancing its already impressive feature set. The most significant additions are the Unison and Polyphonic modes, allowing for fat stereo sounds, as well as enabling polyphonic play."

Wow, like MiniMonsta hadn't already put that into place 10 years ago :P

nvm
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:The official website for The Legend was just opened:
Pssst: That's an internal preview page.

Well, that is a potential game changer for sure, also as VST :o :clap:

Tried to download the demo, seems not to be up yet: File not found. Please contact with us.

Cool if the info about it being available as VST/AU would be true though. :)

Numanoid wrote:Well, that is a potential game changer for sure, also as VST :o :clap:

Tried to download the demo, seems not to be up yet: File not found. Please contact with us.
Obviously the page while it is alraedy visible is not fully finished yet (like also Urs mentioned above).
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Oh, VSTi also.

Definitiely not interested, I have Monark and Diva for these sounds. Who I am to tell them what to do, but i think they could make more sales of Dune2 if they improved its engine based on their new researches instead of making a new synth having such strong comptetitors.

Maybe it's all different in the RE land though, not sure if there is any decent Moog synth there
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I need to demo this. I love Dune 2 (my favorite for non hybrid synthesis).
So i`m interested what hold Richard back from another Dune 2 update.

...uups double...
Last edited by Cinebient on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”