Sonimus TuCo Compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

comfortablynick wrote:Wow...$74 seems really steep. Oh well.
Not the cheapest for Sonimus alright... If it's really good I'll buy it (but I've got a lot of really good sounding compressors).

Off to try the demo. :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I will trial this. Competes maybe with The Glue?

bmanic wrote:EDIT: Seems to sound really nice.. one issue: The wet/dry control is extremely unintuitive. Frankly, it's horrible. MAKEUP gain controls should NEVER affect the dry. I wonder if this is a bug or not.
it's not a bug... I also brought up that issue but seems they went for having it this way...
apparently there are certain compressor designs that have make-up gain at the final output stage :?

1st impression,

Presets are way too hot,no level matching involved in the making

Needs to be dialed back about 5db
Last edited by ere2learn on Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3ee wrote:
bmanic wrote:EDIT: Seems to sound really nice.. one issue: The wet/dry control is extremely unintuitive. Frankly, it's horrible. MAKEUP gain controls should NEVER affect the dry. I wonder if this is a bug or not.
it's not a bug... I also brought up that issue but seems they went for having it this way...
apparently there are certain compressor designs that have make-up gain at the final output stage :?
It makes no sense at all. This means one has to juggle the wet/dry and output knob constantly to get back to even gain. Makes it very hard to use the wet/dry knob for quick test of heavy compression + dry versus less compression + wet.

EDIT: ah, but that's where the A/B button comes in handy. This remedies most of my worries. Anyhow, very silly design still.

This is such a bad design decision that it boggles the mind. It's not completely killing it for me but it's going to be a lot harder to justify the 74$ they are asking. The whole concept of the compressor seems to be "easy and quick to use" and they throw it right out the window with this design.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

^ I know! right? ... I'm sure (or at least hope) they'll implement a button -under the hood- for that...

3x the price of MJUC? Almost 2x the price of Disto?

Adios.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Downloaded the demo and tried on a drums buss: Good flavour, probably one of the best choices on drums buss... ;-)

Rock And Roll!!!

3ee wrote:
I was one of the testers who asked for this to be implemented. There are some great compressors that add make up to the dry signal, such as Massey CT5.

joe_04_04 wrote: There are some great compressors that add make up to the dry signal, such as Massey CT5.

I really hope that's not the reason you asked for this. You must have had something specific in mind when you requested this implementation, right? :?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

bmanic wrote:
3ee wrote:
It makes no sense at all. This means one has to juggle the wet/dry and output knob constantly to get back to even gain. Makes it very hard to use the wet/dry knob for quick test of heavy compression + dry versus less compression + wet.

EDIT: ah, but that's where the A/B button comes in handy. This remedies most of my worries. Anyhow, very silly design still.

This is such a bad design decision that it boggles the mind. It's not completely killing it for me but it's going to be a lot harder to justify the 74$ they are asking. The whole concept of the compressor seems to be "easy and quick to use" and they throw it right out the window with this design.
I fail to see how this is a problem. Thinking about it logically, if you don't link the output gain to the dry signal, you actually lose your wet/dry ratio every time you change the gain. So, if gain only affects wet signal, your workflow looks something like this:

Adjust compression to taste
Blend dry signal back in to taste (let's call it 50/50 just for argument sake)
Bypass plugin to see if compression choices sound good

Find out that the output and input volume are totally off and the output needs to be adjusted.

Adjust the output (which only affects wet gain, thus skewing your compression ration from 50/50 to maybe 60/40 with wet being louder)

Now you have to readjust the mix knob to get back your original blend.

Bypass the plugin again and hope there are no volume differences in processed and unprocessed, because if so, you'll have to do it all again.

This doesn't make much sense to me. With output gain linked to dry, the ratio of compression (50/50 for example) is preserved when adjusting the output gain to match the input gain, and all that annoyance is gone.

Check out Massey CT5 if you think other compressors don't follow this.

joe_04_04 wrote: I was one of the testers who asked for this to be implemented. There are some great compressors that add make up to the dry signal, such as Massey CT5.
I like it this way too
nc-rec.com

The drive and output are interactive, too. If you dime the drive, it gets dirtier still as you crank the output.
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

Auto-gain would have been great.
It's easy if you know how

I think it sounds really good so far. Uses a lot less CPU than MJUC on my machine. I would like a soft bypass button, unless it's there and I'm missing it. Autogain would be great too.

Overall I like it but I'm still having a hard time laying out 3x more $$ than I did for MJUC.

Return to “Effects”