Another Poor Cubase Victim... If I Had Only Known...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

I've never had that issue and I reinstalled recently. There's no way you did a fresh install of Windows and this happened, no offence but maybe learn to be proficient with a PC before posting this kind of misinformation on forums...

I've reinstalled Cubase 8 on a modern computer and a 5 year old laptop, on both at least twice on each this year alone

Maybe you could check your installer hasn't corrupted, or try running some tests on your hardware

The thing is, when you uninstall Cubase, the other components, like virtual instruments, or program components, like the upload manager, stay installed. And if you still have those installed, when reinstalling Cubase, obviously, they will show up in the installer. If you want to reinstall everything, and also delete the preferences, or other leftovers, you have to search for "Steinberg" in the remove/add programs thingie in Windows, uninstall everything from Cubase, and then additionally do a search on your C: drive like "Steinberg", or "Cubase", and (carefully) delete the respective Cubase folders too. That way nothing should remain on the system, and you're able to cleanly reinstall it again. For whatever reason that has to be.

been using Cubase for 20 years and never had this or heard of this problem. Sounds like major user error.
and If you've been through 3 eLicensers then it just shows your level of care taken for your equipment.
Steinberg suck ass, and I've got my fair share of gripes with their software, but this thread is just very silly.

chk071 wrote:The thing is, when you uninstall Cubase, the other components, like virtual instruments, or program components, like the upload manager, stay installed. And if you still have those installed, when reinstalling Cubase, obviously, they will show up in the installer. If you want to reinstall everything, and also delete the preferences, or other leftovers, you have to search for "Steinberg" in the remove/add programs thingie in Windows, uninstall everything from Cubase, and then additionally do a search on your C: drive like "Steinberg", or "Cubase", and (carefully) delete the respective Cubase folders too. That way nothing should remain on the system, and you're able to cleanly reinstall it again. For whatever reason that has to be.
Unfortunately its not always that simple. On very very rare occasions, one will have to also track down and delete the registry entries that are causing the installer to flag the software as already installed, and sometimes, those registry entries are far from obvious. (I had this issue recently with AIR Strike and Structure, funnily enough; the updater wouldnt update a whatever-plus-update version but the uninstaller didnt houseclean properly, and thus it wouldnt reinstall the VST64 version with the full latest version. Bit tedious to manually wipe every trace of the software in the registry, but once Id done that, it worked. )
It neednt even be caused by a bug in the uninstaller, it could just by eg a slight problem with registry key permissions or corruption.

OP seems to have exacerbated things with excessive actions, though (eg reinstall of Windows, which, if its not a full reformat-and-reinstall will obviously leave the registry intact)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

IRBY wrote:
Jim Roseberry wrote:What Bill was saying is the root of your problem...
Registry entries

This type of issue can happen with any software.
The resolution is the same.
This is your issue plain and simple. Unless you do a FACTORY RESET of your machine, all you're doing is restoring some system files while leaving the application files (like Cubase) in place.

Take this as a learning experience. The problem is in the registry. You need to learn how to edit/clean entries (either manually or with a utility).

I see this issue come up all the time at the Sonar forum, and the user is instructed to clean out the registry entries for Sonar. If it's never happened to you, you've just been lucky, that's all.

So the registry is your next step. For myself, I clean it manually or use a utility like JV Power Tools (though it's a commercial product and not really for beginners). Maybe try CCleaner, which is free. Whatever you do, BACKUP the registry first. There are tons of tutorials on the web on how to do this.

Good luck.

IRBY wrote: I suppose this can theoretically happen with any software, but it's NEVER happened when I have re-installed Live, Tracktion, FL Studio, Studio One or Sonar, so I can only come to the conclusion that Cubase is uniquely problematic.

All they had to do was make an installer that lets you IGNORE previous installs and allows you to simply re-install everything, whether it is already installed or not, you know, like EVERY OTHER program that I have ever installed.
FWIW, I'm not here to defend Steinberg or to try and change your feelings toward them.
Just trying to give some perspective. :wink:

This type of issue can (and does) happen with any software.
I've experienced similar things numerous times over the past 20+ years (with different audio software).
If you ever beta-test for a software company, one of the first things you are instructed to do is a full manual uninstall between beta versions. This is to ensure the new install is "clean" (unaffected by previous versions).

All software uninstallers leave remnant registry entries and folders.
When re-installing, these (remnant) registry entries (and folders) maintain settings from the previous install.
The only way to avoid that is to manually remove them.

On a loosely related note:
This is why it's best to perform a clean install of Windows (rather than an upgrade).
If you upgrade the OS, the registry is a mess.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Have never had this problem with Steinberg / Yamaha software, and when it happens with other software (Native-Instruments most commonly), it is usually my fault for deleting temp files or changing some things in the registry.

Lacking the knowledge or patience to solve this problem yourself, the best option is to work with Steinberg support and schedule a good time for a remote assistance session so they can help you with the issue.

Steinberg typically employ very professional support staff and, for this problem, might use a remote control application like TeamViewer to remove a directory, delete some obscure files, edit the registry, or use a powershell command or batch script to force a clean scrub of the application's entrails to meet the installer's requirements on your computer.

I already had that problem... and if I remember correctly I solved it by NOT using the, for exemple, 8.5.15 version of cubase as an installer but rather the original 8.5 .....this is probably the one you can download on their website with you user account.

EDIT : triple post
Last edited by Jolaff on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

EDIT : Triple post

There are so many issues I have with the OP.

We have no idea which version of Cubase, whether or not it is Windows or OSX (based on the language used I would assume Windows), which version of "Windows" he is using, and why he deleted ANY folders (which appears to be a manual thing he did) or uninstalled Cubase to begin with.

There is this really cool program called CCleaner which could really assist a person who jacks themselves over by helping to clean unnecessary registry entries. I don't know if it would work for the OP who seems completely lost about how the process should be done to begin with.

The only victims are the countless people who jumped in with great ideas just to be slammed into a brick wall. I have installed and uninstalled Cubase a dozen or more times through hardware and software upgrades, to change OS's, clean my system, etc. and have only ever faced a few problems which were due to my failure to read and follow procedure, or getting to much in a hurry and skipping steps.

Follow all of the advice here and then report back. There is no reason that involves Steinberg for your issues.

Silly me, I would have checked out the procedure and all of the potential traps before starting an uninstall and reinstall of such an expensive and protected program. Manuals, website and forums are good places to inquire. :wink:

Just to chuck my halfpennyworth into the mix, the fact that WaveLab 4 and Clean 4 won't install on Windows 7 or later excludes any and all possible future dealings between me and Steinberg.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Wavelab and Clean 4 are almost 15 years old. Just saying.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”