New to Mac please suggest all the things I've been missing!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Rommelaar wrote:
Once a year when Apple "updates" its operating system, your DAW and plugins become obsolete and all developers of plugins and DAWs must set aside everything else in order to resolve those issues.

Welcome to the brave new world of Apple and its own ecosystem! :borg:

also this Image
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Rommelaar wrote:
Once a year when Apple "updates" its operating system, your DAW and plugins become obsolete and all developers of plugins and DAWs must set aside everything else in order to resolve those issues.

Welcome to the brave new world of Apple and its own ecosystem! :borg:
I remember Chris Randall (Audio Damage) once going on a rant on how he wanted to stop developing for the Mac because of this BS. At least on Windows, even software written 25 years ago still work (most of the time).

fmr wrote:
pdxindy wrote: Metasynth
ÎÎÎ THIS ÎÎÎ http://www.uisoftware.com/MetaSynth/index.php
+1 (.000.000)

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

And if you need a text editor:

Textmate https://macromates.com

Or need to do anything with websites:

Coda https://panic.com/coda/ and Transmit https://panic.com/transmit/

Getting back to the audio, as others have mentioned the truly unique things on a Mac are Numerology and Metasynth. On the latter, it comes around every few months for $100 so don't buy it at full price. Andrew Souter has useful resources for it: http://www.galbanum.com/products/architecturevolume01./

Be sure to also check out Alfred as a quick launcher (instead of Quicksilver), YummyFTP (instead of Transmit) for FTP and Sublime Text (instead of Textmate) as your editor.

Atom (is free) is a great text editor on OSX
Numerology is a must-have
f.lux to adjust colour temperature on time of day
Kid3 if you like editing audio metadata (mp3 ID for instance)
Little Snitch if you want to control what sort of network traffic comes in and out
MPEG Streamclip to edit/convert movies
HandBrake for copying DVDs
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

fgimian wrote:
Logic Pro X is a killer deal at the price given the inclusions, but imho, Cubase is better in almost every way. Many years later we still have sloppy audio editing in Logic, no Elastique time stretching and ability to change pitch of an audio clip in realtime, no non-destructive effects processing, no multiple controller lanes in the piano roll .etc .etc.

Cubase 8.5 runs like a dream on OS X assuming your plugins are stable, I highly recommend it! :)

Enjoy!! :)
You Cubasers. Too funny, reminds me of the geeky PC commercials for the iMac that are still on youtube from 10+ years ago; you can shake the OS.....

Let's talk music, shall we? Cubase's VIs are for squat according to a rather long, contemporaneous thread on Gearslutz.

Let's play your game and list what Logic has:

Alchemy with 14G of Content
Fully blown Sampler with ~20G of content, from Drums & Percussion to Synths to Symphonic to Acoustic Pianos
Gigs of Apple Loops
Gigs of IRs for Space Designer
Drum Machine Designer
Drum Kit Designer
B3 Organ
Vintage Clav
Melotron
Electric Piano
7 or so more synths ranging from FM to WT to VA to Physical Modeling
Ultrabeat

Cubase has errr Retrologue? Some drum thingy? People on GS do not like either at all, they do not like Halion Lite, etc etc Padshop seems cool. For Pads!
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

musiclover55547 wrote:
fgimian wrote:
Logic Pro X is a killer deal at the price given the inclusions, but imho, Cubase is better in almost every way. Many years later we still have sloppy audio editing in Logic, no Elastique time stretching and ability to change pitch of an audio clip in realtime, no non-destructive effects processing, no multiple controller lanes in the piano roll .etc .etc.

Cubase 8.5 runs like a dream on OS X assuming your plugins are stable, I highly recommend it! :)

Enjoy!! :)
You Cubasers. Too funny, reminds me of the geeky PC commercials for the iMac that are still on youtube from 10+ years ago; you can shake the OS.....

Let's talk music, shall we? Cubase's VIs are for squat according to a rather long, contemporaneous thread on Gearslutz.

Let's play your game and list what Logic has:

Alchemy with 14G of Content
Fully blown Sampler with ~20G of content, from Drums & Percussion to Synths to Symphonic to Acoustic Pianos
Gigs of Apple Loops
Gigs of IRs for Space Designer
Drum Machine Designer
Drum Kit Designer
B3 Organ
Vintage Clav
Melotron
Electric Piano
7 or so more synths ranging from FM to WT to VA to Physical Modeling
Ultrabeat

Cubase has errr Retrologue? Some drum thingy? People on GS do not like either at all, they do not like Halion Lite, etc etc Padshop seems cool. For Pads!
Content is irrelevant when functionality is poor. Cubase content sucks, I agree, but like most, I don't use it at all. Logic Pro X's sampler is in huge need of an overhaul, and Logic Pro X lacks a good Reverb, but apart from that, everything else Logic ships with is great hence why I said it was a great deal.

But in terms of pure functionality, Cubase has superior MIDI and audio editing. More and more people are using it over Logic Pro X now, particularly composers of orchestral work where multi-controller editing is critical and recording artists where audio editing is critical.

I don't want to turn this into a Logic Pro X vs Cubase debate, both are excellent DAWs. Logic Pro X has better content out of the box, Cubase has better editing.

If the OP has his own plugin collection already, then Cubase is a better choice imho. AND having the ability to easily work on a Windows system if required is a huge bonus, particularly as Cubase runs just as well on Windows.

P.S.: I own Logic Pro X too and have produced with it too. I wish it was better as it would save me a USB port.

As for Logic/Cubase , I have both, but use Cubase which runs great on a Mac. Unfortunately you can't demo Logic as you can with Cubase.
For the price Logic is a steal, IMO the only VSTI worth mentioning is Alchemy, the others including the EXS24 need updating. The new Drummer is very cool. Swings and roundabouts, don't listen to fanboys on either side both are top notch.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

You have already missed Logic Pro 9 (a proper DAW) on Snow Leopard (a proper operating system) :hihi:

I'd rather run Logic 9.1.5 on 10.6.8, which is lag/glitch-free, and miss out on a lot of plugins (or recent versions of them) because they are built for a more recent operating system, rather than upgrade and be forced to use LPX. I don't know how stable it has become lately. I haven't tried the new built-in Alchemy. I don't like the new GUI and the performance was worse, at least on the first versions of LPX. The old built-in 32-to-64 AU bridge works, even though I don't use it as much lately, adequately enough for me to guarantee not buying software like 32 Lives, that I'd rather have it with LP9 than miss it in LPX. I'd rather not change a combination that works pretty well, at least on my hardware.

Seriously, I don't like the path Apple takes macOS (sic) and Logic to. :(

Rant aside, software availability is mostly equal on both platforms, you'll get less driver problems (as long as your device is supported and the driver gets updated for the current OS version, that is), enjoy your Mac. The only exclusive releases that are worth it that come to mind are Logic and MetaSynth possibly.

Goodhertz

These guys make great audio tools. https://goodhertz.co/

Also if you are in need of a tool for organizing your audio samples, then there's the very friendly priced AudioFinder by Iced Audio

http://www.icedaudio.com/

subsynq wrote:You have already missed Logic Pro 9 (a proper DAW) on Snow Leopard (a proper operating system) :hihi:

I'd rather run Logic 9.1.5 on 10.6.8, which is lag/glitch-free, and miss out on a lot of plugins (or recent versions of them) because they are built for a more recent operating system, rather than upgrade and be forced to use LPX. I don't know how stable it has become lately. I haven't tried the new built-in Alchemy. I don't like the new GUI and the performance was worse, at least on the first versions of LPX.
Another 9.1.5/10.6.8 user here, really don't like X, I'm out, no way I will buy new Mac to run that. :drunk:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Are people still buying mac? I thought everyone upgraded to iphone.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”