New algo reverb: Hornet Spaces

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HoRNet wrote:Ok guys since I'm the kind of person that like to see opportunities I came up with an idea that will please anyone.
Send me your GUI designs for Spaces, it doesn't have to be a skin, you can change the knobs position, change the sliders into knob or a futuristic 3D control never seen before...design the GUI from scratch.
We will review your proposal and if it's good enough we will code it and sell it along the one I designed. For every copy of the plugin sold with your design we will give you 20% of the price minus sale taxes

What do you think of the idea?
Saverio
Wow, you are very generous and diplomatic. It's great that you respond to the feedback of your user community in such a way. You could make it an official contest, where people can submit their designs and you choose your 3 favourites. Then the user community can vote for their favourite out of these 3.

HoRNet wrote:Ok guys since I'm the kind of person that like to see opportunities I came up with an idea that will please anyone.
Send me your GUI designs for Spaces, it doesn't have to be a skin, you can change the knobs position, change the sliders into knob or a futuristic 3D control never seen before...design the GUI from scratch.
We will review your proposal and if it's good enough we will code it and sell it along the one I designed. For every copy of the plugin sold with your design we will give you 20% of the price minus sale taxes

Saverio
The idea is nice, i just don't know if it's the right way to try to please everyone in general though... much too much of that these days, and it often means that stuff is compromised to fit the least common denominator. If it means in this case that you can choose from several skins, and use what fits best, then that's cool of course.

Saverio
I'm not even personally interested in $$. If you're open to the idea at all, I'll spend some time on it.

Hell, if you implement some of the changes for the betterment of the GUI, I'll just give you money for the plugin.

It's only a GUI (ok it's important, but...) - Saverio, you're the one who spent hours and hours conceptualizing and coding this plugin. 20% on every sale is very generous.

I feel guilty for saying the GUI was vomit, now. The ZX Spectrum look would probably grow on me eventually... :D

Robert Randolph wrote:
markmann wrote:
Yes. And when people look at your song they won't have to see that terrible GUI. This reverb has a unique sound at a very good price point.
And when you get to work, nobody cares about the square tires on your car.

But you sure as hell do, all the way from start to end.
It's the quality of the final work product that matters. And Spaces' GUI isn't a "square tire." It's more like a bad paint job or a no-frills interior. A "square tire" would be a GUI that interferes with actual function, where you couldn't easily input values or something like that. Those who believe form is more important than function can restrict themselves to plug-ins with "pretty" GUIs. Serious people who actually want to get results will use the plug-ins that work, regardless of GUI. Spaces is a good tool for creating realistic spaces. It's right up there with some of the top reverbs in that department. And it's better than several of my "pretty" reverbs.

HoRNet wrote:
I understand somebody don't like flat or dark designs but i honestly prefer minimal flat design to skeuomorphic designs and I'm trying to go in that direction. I for one i'm a big fan of Ableton's GUI and i think it's near perfect.

Saverio
:tu: I quite like the gui - perhaps a little bright but at least it is very readable. I prefer it to a low contrast gui like Izotope's DDLY.

I offer 20% because I think that the way you interact with software if very important and deserve it, and yes I want to offer money so that the market will reward the best design, I get paid for the idea and the day work and the best GUI gets the money for that department. I think it's a fair offer that will make everyone happy and keep the good karma flowing....

Saverio

HoRNet wrote:I offer 20% because I think that the way you interact with software if very important and deserve it, and yes I want to offer money so that the market will reward the best design, I get paid for the idea and the day work and the best GUI gets the money for that department. I think it's a fair offer that will make everyone happy and keep the good karma flowing....

Saverio
You just need additional basic skin and it's already posted in this thread, so yeah, no need for any of it, as somebody said already, ohm force did same, made normal skin and what they wanted, best of both worlds. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

HoRNet wrote: Send me your GUI designs for Spaces, it doesn't have to be a skin, you can change the knobs position, change the sliders into knob or a futuristic 3D control never seen before...design the GUI from scratch.
We will review your proposal and if it's good enough we will code it and sell it along the one I designed.

Saverio
Please no. Judging from the examples posted here it will be even worse. :lol:
No signature here!

Wow! That's what integrity looks like

Wow! That's what integrity looks like

Yeah - I already had great respect for Saverio, but this gesture to his customers just earned him even more from me.

Not only accepted criticism but turned it into an opportunity :tu:

So... how does it compare to Valhalla/Eventide etc? :ud:

MogwaiBoy wrote:So... how does it compare to Valhalla/Eventide etc? :ud:
It's closest in spirit to VRoom in that it appears to be focused on aiming at real room timbres rather than an SFX reverb. I mentioned it up-thread, but the approach taken by Hornet doesn't really work for large spaces – I think it's probably an issue with the number of modes being modelled. More modes means more CPU but more complex reflections and a more realistic sound.

For ambience, small rooms and early-reflection modelling, I think it has real potential. It does sound pretty natural. I've had results I'm happy with on large spaces feeding the output of this into a standard reverb to iron out the fluttering you get with Space on its own. It's not a do-everything reverb by any means and is less flexible than VRoom.

For UI, I'd be happy with Poshook's version. But I'm OK with the current one.

Gamma-UT wrote:
MogwaiBoy wrote:So... how does it compare to Valhalla/Eventide etc? :ud:
It's closest in spirit to VRoom in that it appears to be focused on aiming at real room timbres rather than an SFX reverb. I mentioned it up-thread, but the approach taken by Hornet doesn't really work for large spaces – I think it's probably an issue with the number of modes being modelled. More modes means more CPU but more complex reflections and a more realistic sound.

For ambience, small rooms and early-reflection modelling, I think it has real potential. It does sound pretty natural. I've had results I'm happy with on large spaces feeding the output of this into a standard reverb to iron out the fluttering you get with Space on its own. It's not a do-everything reverb by any means and is less flexible than VRoom.

For UI, I'd be happy with Poshook's version. But I'm OK with the current one.
Hi, as stated on the plugin description page: https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/hornet-spaces/ Spaces aim is to simulate rooms halls and closed spaces not generically "good sounding ambiences" i think there are a lot very good sounding reverbs already, there's no need to create a "me too" plugin.
Talking about modes, the amount of them is set using the "accuracy" control, when set to 1 seven modes are used (the main ones displayed in the center box) when set to 10, 70 modes are simulated, the main 7 plus 10 overtones for each one.

the main challenge comes from the network junctions where the reflection are calculated and the diffusion occurs, and this computation is quite heavy for 70 modes, that's why it's kept fixed and some computation shortcuts are taken (reducing the quality of the simulation). Engineering is always a balance between mathematical correctness and proper use of resources :)

Saverio

What about this?

Return to “Effects”