One more plugin - avoid this mistake!

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Discipline grasshopper, discipline....

Once I got VIP, I realized I already have MANY presets I never even tried. Will not buy any new synth or plugin until I tag all of them.
6K to go? :hihi: This includes only my old plugins, not the AIR bundle which is already nicely tagged.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

this is one of the first problem for every newbie: too many plugins to choose from and too much wasted time. My advice: get a mixing bundle and 2-3 synths and stick to them and start doing music. Changes later.

bobhva wrote:......The problem was(is) that I have spent more time researching plugins, buying plugins, updating plugins, etc. than I have learning what I need to actually make something. Don't get me wrong, I have learned so much in this time and I have made some progress....
.......What I feel that I need to work on mostly now is learning more music theory and playing the keyboard(practice practice practice). I know I still have a very long way to go but the good thing is that I do this for fun. I have no intention of making an income from it or becoming the next pop star. I just love it for my own personal gratification.
I have been there and this last week I fell into the trap again. What I mainly enjoy and my main interest is to just play my keyboard (for my own fun), but I also enjoy (as kind of a hobby) to play around with virtual DAWs and virtual instruments.

In the past, there was a time when I was spending much more time playing around with virtual instruments than actually playing my piano (a digital one) and/or reading about music theory (which I also enjoy). For reasons which are personal, I stopped devoting time to the piano (rather: learning to play) for many years and I have just returned again to devote time to music very recently, but I told myself that this time I was going to concentrate on playing music. And I was doing so, but this last week I lost control. I spent all week searching for which was the best virtual e-piano simulation and tried every available demo. What for? I already have Scarbee´s Vintage Keys and lots of free simulations of which some are quite acceptable for my taste if working a bit on them. I did the same with virtual acoustic pianos and ended spending 200 U$S of which 100 I spent on things I don´t need (and probably won´t use) and 100 on buying NI The Gentleman (and this I don´t regret, because it sounds great and I feel is very responsive).

Well, I believe it is the time for me to get back to playing piano and learning music instead of spending lots of time at the keyboard of my computer.

I felt exactly he same, too much time devoted to trying new plugins out and messing with compressors and learning a ton of stuff I didn't actually use or even liked, that I wasn't even making music.
I sold komplete ultimate, a few uhe synths, some slate stuff, maschine, and some other bits and pieces. And bought some studio stuff etc with the money.
I lost allot of bloated weight in the kvr marketplace and I haven't ate a single plugin since.
I started to look for other ways of making music as all that software hoarding put me off. I even got rid of my MacBook in the meantime as I needed a break from the computer for a while, and will upgrade eventually but I fancy having a go with my hardware synth an octatrak and an iPad for a short time so I can have some real fun without installing a ton of demos. I have a virus just now (which will be my only synth for a while) an iPad just saving for an octatrak as I type this.
I would personally keep spire, serum and ableton and sell everything else on the marketplace but that is a personal opinion related to my venture it's totally genre and personally dependant I guess and I would get some gadgets with the money or monitors etc.
Anyway I guess the important thing to remember is to have fun and use what you have and not always think you have to wait till you got that next piece of software or hardware for that matter to make any music.

Zexila wrote:Kevin: "Hi, my name is Kevin and I'm plugin hoarder fueled with GAS, help me."
K :hyper:
Sorry, but what is 'GAS'....?

Kosmische wrote:Sorry, but what is 'GAS'....?
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... ome-585947 - does apply to plugins too :hihi:

I recently bought FabFilter's mastering bundle (Pro-C2, Pro-Q2, Pro-L and Pro-MB) and love it so much that I decided to sell all my other EQ and dynamics plugins (Waves, PSP etc.), because those FabFilter plugins offer everything I need. Less is more.

9 months of software gas, count yourself lucky, I've been afflicted since VST DAWs first hit the market :(

Good news is I've weened myself off software though I feel sorry for the Devs cos I used to spend ALOT of cash

Bad news is my cash has been diverted to Eurorack :dog:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

GAS is like sex! The more you fight it, the more you be obsessed with :hihi: There is no cure for it!

But, seriously, I could reduce it a lot. The best thing is to learn you absolute favourite synths one at a time. Read the manual from cover to cover, and if it's not clear, read it again and try to figure every use for every parameter. All that with one DAW.

After sometime, you'll be a master of one DAW and few synths. The attraction of new synths won't affect you that much, but only upgrades do ;) Anyway, this is the best way I could find and I'm happy that it works :D I use one DAW for making music and have a plan to learn 3 synths and 2 drums modules, which I'm half way of finishing it. While progressing, I'm selling what I can sell and delete what I can't from redundant synths and tools, but I'm doing it gradually :)

Lucky for me to have such few plugins, I think maybe I resist such temptation?

Looking then to my collection of sample libraries numbering hundreds, I sigh.
Ah, maybe not. :scared:

I know, I know. Avoid the mistakes! I get a lot of advice for that. Z3Ta? Whoa! Rockin riffs.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

DJ Warmonger wrote:Once I got VIP, I realized I already have MANY presets I never even tried. Will not buy any new synth or plugin until I tag all of them.
6K to go? :hihi: This includes only my old plugins, not the AIR bundle which is already nicely tagged.
So far so good. In the meantime I got free Black Hole and LuSH-101, but this doesn't count as purchase or GAS :tu: Instead, I finished two tracks, one of them won a contest :party:

Tagging VIP goes slowly, as it is quite buggy and was patched only this week. My quest on tagging all the presets will carry on into next year by far :lol: Finally I see there are better things to do in my life than buying synths.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Zexila wrote:Kevin: "Hi, my name is Kevin and I'm plugin hoarder fueled with GAS, help me."
KVR: "Welcome Kevin, we have second hand market place"
Kevin: "Awesome, let's keep buying than, woohooo taught I was sick for a moment" :hyper:
ROFLMAO

bobhva wrote:Wish me luck...
I have.. Considerable collection of synths and fx on my pc. I love them, I use them, and I just bought more of them -_-

Anyways.. I also have a laptop and I only have Reason 8 installed on it and guess what? I can make the same music with my laptop that I can make with my pc filled with third party stuff :D

So good luck :tu:

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”