64bit daw to replace fl studio

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

n/m
Last edited by incubus on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reaper!!!
Live is OK for electronic music.

Reaper is propably the most versatile DAW existence. Can't quickly think anything it couldn't do.

don't know Reaper so no offense, has it got AL like dummy clip (alternative fx routing) solution

original soure -> fx chain 1
-> fx chain 2
-> ...
-> master
I know that in FL the channel -> which mixer track goes out the master routing can be automated but not sure in Reaper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_g680_X3bE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdMM_DQfNgk
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Lejurai wrote:Reaper is propably the most versatile DAW existence. Can't quickly think anything it couldn't do.
I know what it surely can't be, and that's a replacement for FL Studio's workflow. Why it even gets mentioned here is a mystery to me. But then, i don't fully grasp the OP's request anyway, especially as he seems to consider DAW's which have not much in common with what FL Studio does.

chk071 wrote:
Lejurai wrote:Reaper is propably the most versatile DAW existence. Can't quickly think anything it couldn't do.
I know what it surely can't be, and that's a replacement for FL Studio's workflow. Why it even gets mentioned here is a mystery to me. But then, i don't fully grasp the OP's request anyway, especially as he seems to consider DAW's which have not much in common with what FL Studio does.
Features that FL studio has are similar to Live and Reaper, esp mixer tracks routing. A lot of daws do not have that!

Ok, fair enough. I just thought, because FL Studio's step sequencer like workflow doesn't seem to translate too well to Reapers way of doing, which is rather like a more traditional, track recorder style, which you rather find in DAW's like Cubase or Studio One.

It's not so much the musical layout part of the workflow that intimidates me, in any daw, it's the ease of using the GUI. I've been practicing Reaper and I was able to make a keyboard shortcut to toggle the mixer visibility, this is really cool. Having to click 10 times to switch what I'm doing and where is unappealing.
Likewise I tried out Renoise a while back, and I don't think I know how to use a tracker type daw effectively, and it also didn't have a multi-channel mixer.
Is the DAW I really want to use out there at this moment? No. I have always found flaws in FL but it has a lot of pluses that work.

camsr wrote:keyboard shortcut to toggle the mixer visibility, this is really cool.
Try screensets, that's great too, than assign some quick shortcuts and just go from full screen piano roll into full screen mixer back to full arrangement and everything together in next one, that is must have feature for my workflow, few clicks accessibility. :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFMYL13_M2c
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I would have safe lots of time and money, if i had taken cubase directly. Because it got anything i need. It based on long experience, but is also developed to a modern workflow and haptic.
Last edited by sugo on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Was Große tun, beschwatzen gern die Kleinen.

Has someone used Reaktor 5 in Reaper, with the feature that places parameter knobs on the track stem? When I did that, I noticed the way the mouse moves the knob on the track stem was like that velocity-based movement in TDR plugins, and it made fine tuning verrry cumbersome even while holding the fine modifier key. I think it may be a bug? Because the cockos plugins did not have the same problem.

sugo wrote:I would have safe lots of time and money, if i had taken cubase directly. Cause it got anything i need. It based on long experience, but is also developed to a modern workflow and haptic.
My general workflow is mostly oriented around sound design, so I use the mixer and effects heavily, to do parallel routings. FL is really good for this and I like it more than Reaper because the mixer is very compact and easy to click around. The mixer in Reaper seems more clunky in comparison. And cubase only supports sidechaining with VST3 or cludgy hacks/routings.

sugo wrote:I would have safe lots of time and money, if i had taken cubase directly. Because it got anything i need. It based on long experience, but is also developed to a modern workflow and haptic.
Got an itch for Cubase lately, was between him and Logic, took Logic, now I'm not sure was that wise decision, gonna see what 9 will bring, if anything, saw some good deals for older versions, maybe pull the trigger on them and than upgrade further, we will see. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

camsr wrote:I use the mixer and effects heavily, to do parallel routings. FL is really good for this and I like it more than Reaper because the mixer is very compact and easy to click around. The mixer in Reaper seems more clunky in comparison
Ummm.. You can place your mixer anywhere in Reaper and you can add a shortcut key to hide/unhide it. Plus mixer has pile of different size options. And different skins. And it's not easy to make routings in Reaper? Ever heard or drag n drop? :P

camsr wrote:The mixer in Reaper seems more clunky in comparison. And cubase only supports sidechaining with VST3 or cludgy hacks/routings.
Even so! Also the audio routing in cubase is not the easiest. But for linear composing, automations and midi-things generally its the best, for my worklflow.
Zexila wrote: Got an itch for Cubase lately, was between him and Logic, took Logic, now I'm not sure was that wise decision, gonna see what 9 will bring, if anything, saw some good deals for older versions, maybe pull the trigger on them and than upgrade further, we will see. :tu:
If i would work with the big A i had also tend to logic :D , especially because i love my i-logic reaper theme, which i modded in many hours to fit my claims. This is also one point for reaper. You can modding it to what you want. But mostly i was more on modding than making music with reaper.
Was Große tun, beschwatzen gern die Kleinen.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”