64bit daw to replace fl studio

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

camsr wrote:I'm not enthusiastic about using FL studio in the future. What would be the most painless replacement, and why?
I am not sure that any new DAW will be a "painless" replacement. Each will have some sort of learning curve, some much steeper than others, like Cubase. Having said that Live is not terribly hard to learn - there is a 30-day demo from Ableton that you can play with. The pattern section is quite intuitive and may open up new creative possibilities particularly if you're used to a linear workflow. Ditto Bitwig. Live's setup for sends and inserts may be confusing at first but you'll get used to it.

I have Live, Bitwig, Logic and Reaper. Live and Bitwig have been my most used over the past 3 years. For the past few months it has been Bitwig. I find the basic workflow of Bitwig and core set of tools to be the most comfortable. The longer I use Bitwig, the harder it is to use others. There are some features I miss, but the basics are my favorite.

The Bitwig modulation system is excellent.

Over the past months, the Bitwig team has been focused on bug squashing. I had been feeling annoyed with how buggy it was and had thoughts of dropping Bitwig, but all the bug fixing has made a significant difference... both in how it feels when working, and in feeling confident that the Bitwig team could/would handle that (non sexy) work and not just pile features on a less than solid foundation.

Basic stuff like plugin sandboxing, better integration between launcher and arrange, multi-clip editing, modulation etc make me like Bitwig better than Live. Overall, Live is still more complete but unless Live 10 is a masterpiece, I expect I'll stick with Bitwig. My needs are modest and I like simplicity.

You may find the Session View in Live a real creative universe and there are probably as many tutorials on YouTube for Live as for FL.
Tutorials and 30-day demo should give you a pretty strong base for making a decision.
I don't own BitWig but I prefer the long standing Ableton material and bright future.
I own FL but I can't work with it. It's just me.
Max4Live is awesome.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

As you can see it's just a different grip on the handle, curious to see which way you go and even recommend Bitwig as your next month demo.

Every season I move from Live to FL to Bitwig just to keep my GAS satisfied, no difference other than workflow in the end result.

What I like about FL is how everything has a window that can be resized and moved around. It will really take some effort to learn a new host.

camsr wrote:What I like about FL is how everything has a window that can be resized and moved around. It will really take some effort to learn a new host.
Think Cubase got whole thing with windows, many are complaining about it, but you will feel right at home it seems. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
camsr wrote:What I like about FL is how everything has a window that can be resized and moved around. It will really take some effort to learn a new host.
Think Cubase got whole thing with windows, many are complaining about it, but you will feel right at home it seems. :tu:
Cubase requires eLicenser dongle doesn't it?

REAPER also uses windows for a lot of things, but it's different and I only have one 24" monitor currently. I think why I don't enjoy reaper is that the size of things you click to do stuff is just uncomfortable. I should spend some more time with it. Oh and the submenus, too many submenus and/or keyboard shortcuts :)

Yeah, dongle and expensive overall, cheaper crippled versions, why I even recommend it, beats me. :lol:

Yeah, Reaper got whole docking thing too, personally tried to get into it, spent time customizing it and than realized I just failed making Logic out of it and continued using Logic. :ud:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I'd take Live for a ride. Seems to fit the "pattern based workflow" best. It's still vastly different i guess, but, i would think it's at least somewhere near the same ballpark.

chk071 wrote:I'd take Live for a ride. Seems to fit the "pattern based workflow" best. It's still vastly different i guess, but, i would think it's at least somewhere near the same ballpark.
Agree, in other thread guy wanted to escape from Live and how Live is influencing his music into something different and taught about FL, was scratching my head about what is so different about it, practically similar pattern based approach. :tu:

energyXt has a 3.0 version now with multicore support, IDK if it's x64 tho.

camsr wrote:
Zexila wrote:
Cubase requires eLicenser dongle doesn't it?

REAPER also uses windows for a lot of things, but it's different and I only have one 24" monitor currently. I think why I don't enjoy reaper is that the size of things you click to do stuff is just uncomfortable. I should spend some more time with it. Oh and the submenus, too many submenus and/or keyboard shortcuts :)
Thaaaats exactly Why I recommended the following to you:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=152012

metamorphosis wrote:Thaaaats exactly Why I recommended the following to you:
Looks like Logic 9 and never will feel like one, wish I cut my loses immediately, but nooo, scripts, modifiers yada yada, it's Reaper and it always will be Reaper, tons of menus, actions and stuff that isn't there, but could be implemented to get by and never feel less clunky that it is :lol: Carry on guys, gonna hit my quiet place now. :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ongUi9KkSnw

metamorphosis wrote: Thaaaats exactly Why I recommended the following to you:
I will try it out, thanks.
Do you know how moddable themes are? I would like to add a PDC delay control directly to the mixer tracks, since I use reaktor 5 a lot and it does not automatically report delay. I also want to change the level tabs on the peak meters to be more like FL10, with tabs divided by 1db for the topmost 10db. Is stuff like that possible yet?

I do not know anything about your desires or needs, but I started with FLStudio when I had no idea about daw's. More than a year later, I still didn't 'feel' it and decided to switch. I chose CuBase and have been happy with it ever since.
Mind: this is a personal preference. You may prefer something else. Therefore I'd say: make a list of what kind of music you want to create, what you need and expect and try out demo versions untill you feel the 'yes. this is it' before you spend money.
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”