64bit daw to replace fl studio

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not enthusiastic about using FL studio in the future. What would be the most painless replacement, and why?

Yeh, i trayed Fl after 3 years, but not success. Set all my settings, but cannot work. Crashing, cpu overloading (yes with ASSIO), again crashing, and again crashing :D
Tested Bitwig Studio side by side with FL.
Loaded multiple Spire 1.1 vst with the same preset and midi clip.
FL-Studio cpu overload 12-14 tracks
Bitwig Studio cpu overload - 19-21 tracks

I love FL-Studio GUI and all small things, but cannot work, it's very unstable. (I tried a demo version)

Big + for Bitwig is vst PLUG-IN SANDBOXING!!! If crashing some vst, BWS still running, just refresh plugin state and whola :D
I recommended to try a Bitwig Studio demo ;) http://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig-studio.html
Mac OSX, Bitwig Studio, Spire, Massive

Bitwig is cool, but I don't think it has matured enough. It still has some ways to go, so I keep an eye on it.

Is the Live workflow easy to learn coming from FL? Someone educate me on these daws! :)

in Live, your Channel Rack will be gone, and your instruments and automation will reside directly in tracks, that's the main change. Patterns are called Clips and work similarly. Live's Racks are also quite similar to Patcher.

Generally speaking, FL allows you to do more things, but also involves many workarounds and setup time during the project... whereas Live is faster, more immediate.

Inserting FL in Live by either Rewire or VST works quite well.

you could demo reason 9, but i have no clue how important vst is to you. Might as well give it a whirl anyway, to experienced true stability!

acYm wrote:in Live, your Channel Rack will be gone, and your instruments and automation will reside directly in tracks, that's the main change. Patterns are called Clips and work similarly. Live's Racks are also quite similar to Patcher.

Generally speaking, FL allows you to do more things, but also involves many workarounds and setup time during the project... whereas Live is faster, more immediate.

Thanks. I know there will be differences, and FL studio is pretty cool for automation. How would you compare it?

MuLab maybe, it's fun and lack similar stuff overall (serious audio recording, editing and mixing) :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

camsr wrote:
acYm wrote:in Live, your Channel Rack will be gone, and your instruments and automation will reside directly in tracks, that's the main change. Patterns are called Clips and work similarly. Live's Racks are also quite similar to Patcher.

Thanks. I know there will be differences, and FL studio is pretty cool for automation. How would you compare it?
FL rocks with automation and the different curve types, ability to go into menu and create automation for last tweaked parameter is cool too. Ableton has a similar automation workflow minus the advanced curves in FL, in Ableton you can create automation lanes instead.

julioelgenio wrote: FL rocks with automation and the different curve types, ability to go into menu and create automation for last tweaked parameter is cool too. Ableton has a similar automation workflow minus the advanced curves in FL, in Ableton you can create automation lanes instead.
Ok so it's pretty standard. Is there a way to use audio as a vst parameter modulator? Because it would be easy to shape those more complicated curves with a plugin :) although latency might be a problem.

gotta have Live Suite (or at least Max4Live) to get that kind of functionality (external modulators and such) but it can be done yes.
overall, modulation and automation is definitely a field in which FL reigns supreme.

What kind of stuff can be made into a preset in Live?

you can save your Instrument/FX Racks as templates, just like saving Patchers
a Live project acts as a kind of big meta-preset, you can go pick elements from other projects and bring them in just like anything else from the browser

Live will be easy to learn. You lose native internal controllers like LFO tool, envelope follower, etc. You just resort to half assed tools through its API that costs you money $199 lol. And its piano roll is bare bone. It is prone to crash when using vst but it has project recovery feature. The others are well made.

julioelgenio wrote: FL rocks with automation and the different curve types, ability to go into menu and create automation for last tweaked parameter is cool too. Ableton has a similar automation workflow minus the advanced curves in FL, in Ableton you can create automation lanes instead.
check http://isotonikstudios.com/isotonik/mod ... ies/smart/ if u need those advanced curves

it's about Smart 3 so outdated but shows the concept
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da-EEIGlq0Y

(worth to check the other devices in the modular series https://ask.audio/articles/review-isoto ... ve-plugins )
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

camsr wrote:I'm not enthusiastic about using FL studio in the future. What would be the most painless replacement, and why?
Reaper with the following reaperset:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=152012

Makes getting into reaper fairly easy, then over time your can acquaint yourself with the more advanced features as you require them.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”