Tangle: new modular FM synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Mangle

Ok, I read the manual, and experimented, but I can't find a way to set up a macro-control to control the frequency of an oscillator the "classical" way, e.g. 0.5, 1, 2, etc. I tried to do so by setting patching the macro through a quantize function with steps 0.5, 1, 2, ..., but that offsets the frequency rather than setting it. Is the only solution to set the quantizer to -0.5, 0, 1, ...?

Edit: BTW, there's a bug in Sequencer > Mod > Level > Randomize: it doesn't do anything. Randomize seems to work in all combinations, except that one.

Musical Gym wrote:Tom, are you watching this thread for bug reports? I had another crash in Studio One; I think I may have been routing the default patch osc back to itself which I guess is a no no.

Trying to audition the on-board waves with windows media player doesn't seem to work; just get a pop and nothing more.

I wonder if putting shortcuts to user wave folders will work for loading; will try it.

Edit: Shortcut to user samples doesn't show up in Tangle brower; single on-board wavs do show up, but it doesn't appear that you can do anything with them (no drag and drop to canvas).

It also would be nice to be able to drop a wav file onto the canvas/module to load it; I can barely read some of the names in the choice box and scrolling all the way down is quite the feat.

I copied a folder of user wavs to waveforms folder; the folder is visible in Tangle browser but none of the user wavs show up. Why not?

I must say some of the on-board presets are outstanding and really bring out the potential of Tangle. Any chance of making a video of building a patch from start to finish and incorporating a user wav?
I'm not that Tom, but I guess he's busy fixing bugs so:

- As was said before, feedback isn't allowed yet, shouldn't be possible at all actually, but a bug made it doable which leads to a crash.

- Most media players can't play back single-cycle waves, they are just too short and normal media players simply aren't used to encounter files that are in the millisecond range. Try the Resonic player, it's the only player I know that can loop these rather well (and it's brilliant to have anyway).
https://resonic.at/

- A shortcut doesn't work, you would have to set up a junction for now or wait if the real Tom implements ways to do that.

- Waves copied to the user folder work here. Did you copy single cycle waves in the correct format like the AKWF waves into the folder? You also may have to restart your host or remove and re-insert Tangle to see the new waves, I don't think it constantly updates the files in the folder.

- Yeah, drag and drop would be good. I agree that the choice box atm is hard to navigate. I find the search rather good, so maybe use resonic to look up the wave you want and then search for it in Tangle for now? Not as nice as listening in context of course.

I hope this helps until the real Tom returns. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom (too)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Unreal Tom, thanks much for your informative replies!

I wasn't aware of the single cycle constraint. I'll need to study that to determine where/what/how to get and use.
I appreciate the resonic link and all the other tips.

I thought I was the real Jim, but many came before. The way the world is right now, we could be a dying breed.

P.S. Do you recommend Resonic free or Pro? Edit: just realized you recommended Player.

Musical Gym wrote:Unreal Tom, thanks much for your informative replies!

I wasn't aware of the single cycle constraint. I'll need to study that to determine where/what/how to get and use.
I appreciate the resonic link and all the other tips.

I thought I was the real Jim, but many came before. The way the world is right now, we could be a dying breed.

P.S. Do you recommend Resonic free or Pro? Edit: just realized you recommended Player.
You are welcome.
As was mentioned in this thread before, a sample player for longer samples may come later, maybe even a "The Mangle"-like grain sampler - it's still early days. ATM it is an oscillator using single cycle waves instead of a fixed list of waves like sine/triangle/square etc.

There are other collections out there, but since the AKWF files included already cover a very wide range, you should be busy for a while ;-)

I bought Resonic Pro, but the player is just fine for playback.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

Thanks again; what types of tasks do you foresee needing the Pro version?

Musical Gym wrote:Thanks again; what types of tasks do you foresee needing the Pro version?
Read the description? ;-)
https://resonic.at/pro
Basically Pro will be more capable when it comes to not only play back but also manipulate samples.
You will be able to set markers, slice samples etc, but it's still early days and most of the features planned aren't there yet (I'm the early adopter type ;-) ).

Cheers,

Tom

thanks Tom

new beta release; 0.1.5;

-----------------------------------------------------
Tangle 0.1.5 Release notes:

- Making cyclic connections is now disabled. This includes connections from a UGen's output to its own input, and also longer feedback loops where a UGen connects to another which ultimately feeds the first UGen's input.

This is because feedback loops are not working in the audio engine yet (I intended to disable feedback connections at the UI level, but a later regression reenabled this ability without my noticing).

- Deleting the main Output is now disabled. In the future Tangle will allow arbitrary channel arrangements for surround sound etc. but until that's ready I've disabled adding new Outputs - therefore the existing Output should not be deleted, as some of you pointed out.

- Plugin now remembers if preset browser / voicing options bar are open when window is closed & reopened.

- Dynamic layout of voicing options bar responds better to small widths.

- Ctrl + scroll wheel on the canvas now zooms in / out.

- Fixed occasional nullptr dereference in MixPan object's painting code which caused crashes.

- Fixed rare inifinite loop when calculating font sizes.

- Improved stability when changing presets while notes are playing.

- Fixed AU/VST on 32bit hosts on Mac.

- Fixed possible crash when editing envelope
-----------------------------------------------------

Got this in my mail today :)

Sweet. The more I get to know it the more stabile it becomes and the better it sounds. This is exciting news.

Im not finding the email though. :? Is it the same download link?

edit: not the same download link.

thanks for the update, seams to be stable , let's play now!

Just wanted to leave an update on my previous post. The dev took care of me. Somehow he had the wrong email. I'm just going to say I either smoked a j or spiked my coffe too much the day I hit the buy button and call it my mistake.

Tangle is stable after the update thanks I use live 9.6.1 :tu: :D

Tangle is stable after the update thanks I use live 9.6.1 :tu: :D

Yes, it's stable here too :)

Return to “Instruments”